• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SI story on Clawson hire

Clawson may not be the pretty pick, but there were a lot of other odd ass names thrown out there. Rocco, Lambert, Stockstill. He wouldnt have been my first pick but I don't think his track record warrants complete dismay. Probably be a 2-3 season rebuild.

I don't think Clawson is an offensive genius. We should expect this to be the same as bringing in Chad Morris. But I think the guy can coach, and will find a way to win.

and FWIW the guy did just win a MAC title, bash the MAC all you want but thats some awesome football to watch. If you don't see any positives at least you can say that he beat a top 25 team in a big game.

First...Clawson wasn't my first choice. But neither was Lembo. I don't understand not trying to attract an upper level BCS coach to Wake. Forget the arguments about money...I don't buy it.
To the UT fiasco I can speak with some clarity. I attended every home game that year. Clawson's "O" was not deficient because of bad play calling. They had one of the worst QB's in UT history. As others have mentioned, not enough time to install the new system. Not enough buy-in from the Vol nation. Truly it was a case the opposite of Wake. An AD jumping to make a change at the bequest of the fans rather than allow Fulmer and Clawson to work through some growing pains.
My two cents on Grobe: He was def. forced out b/c of Lobo and sadly a lot of quality coaches and their families are now uprooted and unemployed. I understand that is the nature of CFB. But on a personal level it sucks. Knorr, Mac, Belin, and Jackson did work with the "D" this year and are good guys. I hope Coach Clawson and his staff will be as accessible as Coach Grobe's staff always were.
I wish them the best and hope for great things for the future of the Deacs!

I hope now that Grobe is gone he shares a little wealth with Sam Swank. That dude earned him some coin.

I'm wondering if he is going to give the normal kickback to Wellman on the buyout, since I presume that is the only reason he got that absurd contract in the first place.

I am fine with this hire. Cautiously optimistic. Honestly, I'll admit that I'm influenced by what I read on this board, and had been persuaded that Lembo might have been a better choice. If I were analyzing the hire in a vacuum, I would not rate one above the other.

The Tenn situation is indeed a red flag but I'm prepared to chalk that up to extenuating circumstances.

Good luck, Dave and Go Deacs! A new era begins.

Clawson stepped into a very toxic situation at UT. I don't consider his one season there a red flag. The team had already quit on Fulmer by that point.

I too think this is a good hire. The 1 year at Tennessee doesn't detract from the rest of his resume for me. As others have said, that was a sinking ship with a terrible QB. He's done a good job rebuilding programs, and I can tell you that he was well liked and respected at Richmond. I admit the Nard Dog was my 1st choice, but I didn't see much of a difference between Lembo and Clawson - I'd have been happy with either. The only possible knock on Wellman is he may have lowballed his 1st choice. And Clawson to me is clearly a better choice than that next tier of Roccos and Lamberts.

Does this make me like Wellman any more? No, that ship has long since sailed. But I do have hope for our football future. Wish I could say the same thing for our hoops.

According to a BG board I perused, Clawson's parents live in NC. I'm sure that helped.

Lembo was my first choice and was Wake's first choice but Lembo could see that the Emperor had no clothes. Lembo will get what he wants from some other D1 school. Having said that, I support our new coach until he gives me a reason or reasons not to. Welcome DC!!!

(1) I loathe Wellman
(2) I would have preferred Lembo

But, come on, Clawson just won his conference's title against the #14 team in the country and showed a TON of energy and enthusiasm on the sideline. He also did not hesitate to raise hell with officials over calls.

We could have done far worse than Clawson. I think Clawson will renew some enthusiasm for the program. I am now, for the first time in years, looking forward to spring practice!

He also had a very solid track record at Richmond - which is not an easy place to coach given their academics, etc. I like this hire. I don't think you can look at Lembo vs. this guy and automatically conclude one is better than the other on paper.

After reading the various Wake boards, I think the adjective that would best describe our excitement is muted. Objectively, this is a very good hire for Wake. He's won at his various stops and had to rebuild at those stops. His record is easily superior to Grobe's at his 1 .500 stop at Ohio, and I'll not even mention Groh and Caldwell. Well, just did mention. Add to that moribund UVA fans are despairing that they still have London, and we have 1 of the coaches they wanted to replace London. Yet we're a collective meh. We'd prolly be a collective meh had we just hired Les Miles.

Buzzdick, Wellman and the last 5 years of poor football have taken its toll on us. As much as I still hate Wellman for Buzzdick and the insulting and dishonest manner he's treated Wake fans the last few years, he did get this hire right. And I'm trying to get more excited about Clawson. But it's taking some work and rationalizing. And that's not Clawson's fault, and I feel a bit bad for him that he's inheriting such a dispirited fan base. So here's to hoping he hits the recruiting trail hard and starts making believers out of us.

After reading the various Wake boards, I think the adjective that would best describe our excitement is muted. Objectively, this is a very good hire for Wake. He's won at his various stops and had to rebuild at those stops. His record is easily superior to Grobe's at his 1 .500 stop at Ohio, and I'll not even mention Groh and Caldwell. Well, just did mention. Add to that moribund UVA fans are despairing that they still have London, and we have 1 of the coaches they wanted to replace London. Yet we're a collective meh. We'd prolly be a collective meh had we just hired Les Miles.

Buzzdick, Wellman and the last 5 years of poor football have taken its toll on us. As much as I still hate Wellman for Buzzdick and the insulting and dishonest manner he's treated Wake fans the last few years, he did get this hire right. And I'm trying to get more excited about Clawson. But it's taking some work and rationalizing. And that's not Clawson's fault, and I feel a bit bad for him that he's inheriting such a dispirited fan base. So here's to hoping he hits the recruiting trail hard and starts making believers out of us.
That is so LOWF IMO...dwelling on the past failures and dragging them forward.

This is an excellent hire. He has the best resume of any coach I've ever seen hired here. As I said on the other thread, this hire means the Grobe era was a huge success, regardless of the last 5 years. Getting a great coach (on paper) is proof. We will now build upon that success. Wellman did a great job.

Typical Ron hiring based on the good ole buddy system...clawson has a terrible tack record. Our offense was the problem and Ron hires a guy who's past is filled with struggling offense. It's hard to be a wake fan, I am very disappointed in this hire, there are plenty of gray coaches out there, why do we keep settling...

... just like clockwork.

That is so LOWF IMO...dwelling on the past failures and dragging them forward.

This is an excellent hire. He has the best resume of any coach I've ever seen hired here. As I said on the other thread, this hire means the Grobe era was a huge success, regardless of the last 5 years. Getting a great coach (on paper) is proof. We will now build upon that success. Wellman did a great job.
I mean first, that's pretty reductionist. It seems like CVille is trying to take the temperature of the fan base generally and explain why we collectively aren't as excited about Clawson as we might otherwise be. That's not LOWF, that's just context.

If a wife comes home every night and the nanny her husband hired to watch the kids beats the snot out of her for 5 years straight, I don't think it's "dwelling on the past failures" for her to be a just a tad reticent about embracing the new nanny her husband hired to replace the old one. Yea, we want to be optimistic, but context matters.

I'm fairly confident that after the presser this afternoon most of us will be pretty excited. Cville is spot on. A little positive energy and excitement from Clawson will go a long way towards encouraging the fanbase.

Back