• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Siblings

love my brothers, and i think we're getting closer as we age.

How many siblings do you guys have?

I have a younger sister, and that seemed to work out fine for me. She's 3.5 years younger than me, so we never really hung out that much, though it gave me someone to ride the rollercoaster with at the amusement park, and someone with whom I could talk about how weird my parents are. As we've gotten older, we do stuff with each other from time to time (she's going to a couple of concerts with my wife and I in a couple weeks), though we're different people. I never really found myself longing for another sibling (bro or sis), though it would have maybe been fun to have a sibling to play sports with and that sort of thing. I also think it was good for my parents, as I followed a very traditional path (moved out when I went to college, never permanently returned, graduated, got a job, got married, had a kid), whereas my sis has bounced between schools, acting gigs, traditional jobs, boyfriends, living at home for periods of time, so she's kept them on their toes.

My wife and I are both on the same page about (spoiler alert) having a 2nd kid, definitely in part because we'd like our son to have a sibling. I see the theoretical appeal of having more than 2 (big family holidays, backyard badminton tournaments, etc), but just practically it's not going to happen. We waited until our 30s to have kids, so that's a factor, plus the boring stuff like having enough money and space and time (which would figure itself out, but just provide more reasons to stop at 2). I have a feeling, as with most families, we'll eventually feel like it all worked out exactly like it should have for us and we wouldn't have changed a thing.

YO Say Hey, is the second on the way?

My sister is 11 years older than I am. We get along, but aren't what you'd call close. I'm really not very close to anyone in my family. Wife is pretty much the same way.

I'm 18 months older than my sisters. We were only one grade apart, so we grew up pretty close - In high school, we had similar friend groups. We all ended up going to college in North Carolina, despite never living there before.

Now we're still close and hang out frequently.

1 brother and 1 step-brother for me. My older brother (step-brother; we share the same mom) is 7yrs older than me and we rarely talk about stuff other than sports. He is in a rough place now with a recent divorce and 'wedding season' on the horizon, and I try to offer him advice and condolences as much as possible. I was really close with my younger brother; hopefully he either gets rid of his succubus or she matures enough to allow him to do things with his friends/brothers.

2 brothers and a sister for my fiancee. She is closest with her younger brother. Her older brother apparently was a dick in high school/college but it seems like he is maturing out of the brat stage. Very smart but very opinionated. Her sister is still dating the same hoodlum she had a kid with when she was 18 (he has a court hearing this week) and she will be much better off once she breaks up with the dude.

big bro and I are two years apart, little bro is 4 years younger. Big Bro and I followed pretty similar paths all growing up - basically, anything he did, I wanted to do. Competed for grades in AP classes, both did band/marching band, shared some friends. I followed him to Wake, but we took separate paths there (though still both did marching band and shared friends). He was there for 3 of the 4 years I was because of the accounting program, so we had lots of shared experiences. We talk probably a couple times a week now, usually calling each other during our respective commutes.

little bro is four years younger than i am, so big bro and I spent a good deal of our younger years totally ganging up on him. he went to a different high school than the two of us and forged more his own path. he and i started talking more as adults while he was in college, it was good to see him grow up a bit. we're definitely closer now, and though i still give him a hard time about things he takes it in stride and is doing really well for himself. talk to him a couple times a week, too.

the three of us have a group text thing that we keep going during the week as well.
family's a big deal for me, and siblings especially- when we have kids, the plan is to have more than one.

I have a full brother, a full sister, a half brother and sister on my dad's side, and a half brother and two half sisters on my mom's side.

I work with my full brother, so we are very close and hang out all of the time with my full sister. I am also very close with my half brother and sister on my dad's side, as they are part of "the family" (beach trip, thanksgiving, Xmas). they are brothers and sisters.

On my mom's side, I have only met one half sister a couple of times. Wouldn't know the other two from Adam.

I am the youngest of the siblings, although many of the nieces and nephews are now adults.

the three of us have a group text thing that we keep going during the week as well.
Very cool that y'all trust each other enough to keep this going. I used to do something similar with my bros until I deduced that some of my texts were leaking from my older bro to my mom, so I put the kibosh on the group stuff.

Very cool that y'all trust each other enough to keep this going. I used to do something similar with my bros until I deduced that some of my texts were leaking from my older bro to my mom, so I put the kibosh on the group stuff.

i mean, we don't do anything particularly illegal, so there's not really anything we could leak to parents that would screw anyone over. most of what is discussed involves pictures of our dogs doing stupid things.

Older brother (Deacon511)...he is 6 years older than I am so we were not that close growing up. Oddly enough, we have become extremely close as adults. We talk almost every day even though he lives in SC and I live in Northern VA.

My wife and I have 1 son (7 months) and we are seriously considering calling it a day. Our boy has been the perfect baby up to this point and I could not imagine having another one...especially one that is not as good as he is.

I think everybody who ends up having two or more kids thinks that about the first one.

1 of 4. Love the big family. Wife and I have one on the way (we're 27) and plan on going for 3 or 4.

Brother is 5 years older. We were never that close. Sister and I are 18 months apart. We both went to Wake, and we were on campus together or 3 semesters (she was abroad my first semester). We were never that close. We had different social circles. Family is important, but I was always closer to friends growing up.

I have one sister. She's 2 years, 8 months older than me but only two years in school. We have always been very close. I guess our roughest patch was when she was dating her jackass of a boyfriend in high school. It was one of things where I could see it and she couldn't. I had the chance to move to Roanoke for a job and I love the area (I bought a house so I must). She has twin girls that will be 3 years old on June 10. We both work for the City of Roanoke, I'm in Budget and she works in Social Services so we talk just about every day. We also see each other about every weekend either for dinner one night or just to hang out. My nieces are old enough that they have sleep overs at my house. My sister is my best friend and it's great being close to her to watch her kids grow up.

Thanks! I have wondered that.

What changes?

Could be any number of things. For us, part of it was our sibling situations. She's an only child and grew up desperately wanting a little sibling. She also saw herself as the mother of two boys. I'm close with my little sister who is 2 years younger. I always saw myself being the dad of a boy and a girl. Also we both weren't getting any younger so it was go time on #2. Also talking to other parents with two help. Several of our good friends have kids who are 2-4 years apart and assured us that they felt the same way you do. Now that we have two boys who are almost 4 and 10 months, I wouldn't have it any other way. They get along great and love each other so much.

Back