• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sitting down at a rock concert

Acceptable to ask someone to sit?

• Yes

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CDeacMan

Ishmael Smith
Reaction score
Simple poll question: Is it ever acceptable to ask someone to sit down at a rock concert?

No. Nor a sporting event. I don't care how old or lame you are. If you wanted to sit, you could have stayed on your couch.

when in rome.............

If just about everybody is standing up, then no
if just about everybody is sitting down, then yes.

Well this gets at the issue. My brother and I were at McCartney the other night, and pretty much everyone in our immediate area was sitting down. We wanted to stand. People behind us got upset.

if the average age of the crowd is over 40, you're probably going to be sitting and should expect as much.

that said, i answered 'no' in the poll, but i was envisioning a slightly more hard-core show than mccartney. :noidea:

^^ And that's why I was intentionally generic with it. I think most everyone's initial gut reaction is "of course not" It's not like people weren't standing all over the stadium in other places. And everyone could see fine if they would just get up too. We weren't doing it to be rude, we just wanted to stand up.

if the average age of the crowd is over 40, you're probably going to be sitting and should expect as much.

that said, i answered 'no' in the poll, but i was envisioning a slightly more hard-core show than mccartney. :noidea:

Like 1D! ;)

I used to work at a concert venue. If somebody asked us "can you tell that person to sit?" we'd just kinda shrug our shoulders and tell them tough shit.

Well this gets at the issue. My brother and I were at McCartney the other night, and pretty much everyone in our immediate area was sitting down. We wanted to stand. People behind us got upset.

I was there too and out whole section sat. We wanted to stand but there were some pretty old people right behind us so we thought better of it. Still had a fucking blast, though.

Right. And somewhat similar, if you're 6' or taller, you have to realize that even if the people behind you are standing, you very well could be blocking their view. Not saying you don't have the right to stand in any situation, but common courtesy goes a long way.

I don't think it's ok to ask someone to sit, but I do think it's ok to be a little irritated if they stand directly in front of you for a majority of the show while most everyone else is sitting. I agree with the Rev about courtesy. I went to a Ben Folds show while I was pregnant. We purposely bought seats rather than standing room tickets and I couldn't have comfortably stood for the whole show. I would have been pretty pissed if someone had just said "tough shit, I'm standing" but I never would have asked them to sit.

Just like you paid good money to sit, they paid good money to stand. I tend to try and be mindful of the people around me at sporting events/concerts, but I'm gonna stand and dance/cheer if I want. Not the whole time if the people behind me are sitting the whole time, but whenever I damn well please.

I tend to sit in the pit/orchestra area at concerts that are quite a bit harder than McCartney. No one sits. Ever.

If you ever attend a show in England you'll find that the crowd basically sits the entire time. If you stand up and dance they'll know you're from someplace else and tell you to sit down. But in the US, the answer is definitely "no, you may not tell someone to sit down."

If you ever attend a show in England you'll find that the crowd basically sits the entire time. If you stand up and dance they'll know you're from someplace else and tell you to sit down. But in the US, the answer is definitely "no, you may not tell someone to sit down."

Erm, no.

Well, that's been my experience. I've seen Canadians shouted down at a Van Morrison show.

It could have just been the venues/acts I went to, but some of the most rocking shows I went to were in London.

Guess this just goes along with the "when in Rome" premise of knowing and understanding the crowd around you.

If you want to sit, fine, knock yourself out. Asking someone else to do so because you want to is the worst.

Right. And somewhat similar, if you're 6' or taller, you have to realize that even if the people behind you are standing, you very well could be blocking their view. Not saying you don't have the right to stand in any situation, but common courtesy goes a long way.

So what is your solution to this situation? Crouch down so you are only 5'6"?

Back