• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

slow pitch softball game...what's the correct call?

All I want to know is how the batter rounded first before the shortstop threw the glove

All I want to know is how the batter rounded first before the shortstop threw the glove

It was a grounder hit deep in the hole between third and short. The guy was pretty fast, but I honestly don't think he made it to first yet. That was just how the ump ruled it so the game would be over. The ump seemed pretty amateur, and I think he just wanted the game to end to go drink.

I don't know the correct ruling (TJ would be ashamed). If I was the ump, I'd say no extra bases. If the glove made contact with the ball, then it would've been 3 bases. No contact = no extra bases (just a stupid fielder who is lucky he didn't give the runners 3 bases). Throwing a bat is an instant out...saw that one a lot...never saw throwing a glove.

I didn't really know the rule either. I got into an argument with some grad student today who hit the ball down the right field line and out of play and I gave him a ground rule double and held the runners at the base they were going to (runner coming home scored, and the runner going to third held at third). He threw a tantrum and wanted the rules checked because he SWORE that the ground rule double had been replaced by the base you're running to plus one. That's the rule for overthrows, not for ground rule doubles. He asked me why the clock wasn't stopped and which base he should go to and I bluntly told him "because I'm right and you're supposed to be on second". He pitched another fit but I looked it up once play restarted and low and behold I was right. Suck it graduate student who takes intramurals too seriously.

I didn't really know the rule either. I got into an argument with some grad student today who hit the ball down the right field line and out of play and I gave him a ground rule double and held the runners at the base they were going to (runner coming home scored, and the runner going to third held at third). He threw a tantrum and wanted the rules checked because he SWORE that the ground rule double had been replaced by the base you're running to plus one. That's the rule for overthrows, not for ground rule doubles. He asked me why the clock wasn't stopped and which base he should go to and I bluntly told him "because I'm right and you're supposed to be on second". He pitched another fit but I looked it up once play restarted and low and behold I was right. Suck it graduate student who takes intramurals too seriously.

I ump during the summer and we have crap like this happen every season when the ball is thrown into the dugout and stuff like that.

The weirdest play ive ever had umping was in tee ball when that one kid on steroids that is in every league rips a liner to the shortstop who sticks out his glove on accident and meets the path of the ball. The glove flew off his hand and landed face up in the dirt with the ball still in it.

The weirdest play ive ever had umping was in tee ball when that one kid on steroids that is in every league rips a liner to the shortstop who sticks out his glove on accident and meets the path of the ball. The glove flew off his hand and landed face up in the dirt with the ball still in it.

What was the ruling?

What was the ruling?

I ruled the batter safe, have never really looked up the rule though. Figured that specific example wasn't in the rulebook. I just assume that it would fall under the fielder never maintaining possession. Wouldnt it be the same as an outfielder going up to rob a home run and the ball/glove fall over the wall but the ball never falls out, you'd have to rule that a homer right?

I ruled the batter safe, have never really looked up the rule though. Figured that specific example wasn't in the rulebook. I just assume that it would fall under the fielder never maintaining possession. Wouldnt it be the same as an outfielder going up to rob a home run and the ball/glove fall over the wall but the ball never falls out, you'd have to rule that a homer right?

In your first example, the correct call would be an immediate dead ball, and all runners are awarded two bases from the time of the pitch. That situation is covered by the rule covering a fair batted or thrown ball lodging in a defensive players uniform or equipment. By knocking the glove off the fielder and remaining in the glove, the proper interpretation is to rule it lodged in the glove, not ruling that he failed to maintain possession. In your HR scenario, that would indeed be ruled a HR.

In your first example, the correct call would be an immediate dead ball, and all runners are awarded two bases from the time of the pitch. That situation is covered by the rule covering a fair batted or thrown ball lodging in a defensive players uniform or equipment. By knocking the glove off the fielder and remaining in the glove, the proper interpretation is to rule it lodged in the glove, not ruling that he failed to maintain possession. In your HR scenario, that would indeed be ruled a HR.

Well at least I didn't call him out. And I'm kind of glad I didn't know the correct ruling now bc I wouldn't want to try and explain that in a tee ball game. Haha

And is a ball laying in a glove really considered "lodged" ?

Yes it is. When a ball remains in a glove that becomes detached from a fielder the recommended interpretation is a lodged ball. There is no obligation to determine how tightly it might be lodged. The same rule covers a bounding ball that enters the fielders jersey ... it could be rolling around inside the uni but it is considered "lodged."

One other potentially confusing issue is that their are different sets of rules for different levels of baseball. High School follows Federation (NFHS) rules, college has NCAA rules, and professional ball uses Official Baseball Rules (OBR). The above interpretation applies to Federation and NCAA, but not OBR.

Back