• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Slowing Tempo Would Help Wake

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
Was looking through some stats to see if there were any trends that I had missed, and realized that Wake is very, very bad at transition offense and defense, but above average to average at both offense and defense in the half-court sets.

When you combine this knowledge (on a 20 game sample size) with the fact that the coaching staff is very good at drawing up plays out of out-of-bounds situations, and has excelled in the half court offensively the past 2-3 years, I came up with the conclusion that slowing down the game would benefit Wake.

Obviously this is a bit overly simplistic and not easy to do, but I do think that if Wake slowed things down and attempted to limit transition possessions as a whole then it would result a better chance to win games overall.

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2018/...-the-tempo-virginia-packline-defense-identity

Losing streak is at 6 and counting.... :tard:

Couldn't hurt!

Last edited:
Maybe our offense should be to just dribble across the half court, head to the side line and bounce it off an opponents knee and out of bounds, then we can set up out offense and score.

Losing steak is at 6 and counting.... :tard:

Couldn't hurt!

6? That's more than one per player on the court. That's a problem.

Good article. It's a problem that makes sense. We have a guard oriented lineup without any real finishers. In the half court, we have Doral even if we underutilize him.

Last edited:
I don't understand how we are good at halfcourt offense. It's typically one guy dribbling for 20 seconds, maybe make one pass, force up a shot. Or - PG dribbles for 5 seconds, passes to PF who then hands it back off to guard who dribbles for 20 seconds, then maybe passes/forces up a shot. Nobody moves!

Slowing the ball down would hurt us. We need more motion and movement to get Doral more looks and more open looks for outside shooters.

Slowing the ball down would hurt us. We need more motion and movement to get Doral more looks and more open looks for outside shooters.

Slowing down the ball isn't the same as not moving.

I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

I think we would benefit more from being deliberate in the half-court rather than getting out and trying to run. More motion and a half court would be a key part of that.

I'm not sure about that. Danny is a Kansas guy, and the old Kansas way is to try to break and look for a good shot off a potential secondary break. In theory, I don't see a reason to stop playing that way unless you're turning it over too much in transition and think you don't have the type of players who can play that way. I've never thought style of play as being a problem with Danny. My biggest issue with him has been that none of his teams here have played good D. He got away with that to an extent last year when we had the best player in the conference - if you can call barely making the dance and exiting immediately getting away with it. Looking at this year's stats on Kenpom, our defensive efficiency rating is 101.7. Good defensive teams like Miami and Clemson are in the 91 range. The only 2 ACC teams with worse ratings are Pitt and State, and they're in the 102 range. When you're ranking in the 200s out 351 teams, and you're in a major conference, that ain't a winning recipe.

While it won't solve all the issues defense is the biggest concern I have with Coach Manning.

Getting length at every position to be at least average in the ACC will help immensely. Particularly in the back court. Wake is really small back there and there is a strong correlation between length and defensive efficiency.

Last edited:
Nice observation.

I feel like we want to push, but oftentimes our outlet passes are so slow and short that by the time our guards even get the ball, 4 players on the defense are already across half court, or at the very least ahead of the ball. We have not had the best passing bigs under Manning, so it puts our aggressive guards in a bind when they get the ball late, and are then told to push into a 4v4. If you watch teams that really push, or how Wake used to run when we were at our best, the guards are/were ALWAYS looking to pass the ball up court. Unless you have a Paul/Teague/Ish type PG, it's very tough to have a short outlet that turns into a successful fast break.

I think with the speed we have coming in, we will be better at transitioning, but until we improve our passing and vision, I just don't see it being a strength.

Last edited:
While it won't solve all the issues defense is the biggest concern I have with Coach Manning.

Getting length at every position to be at least average in the ACC will help immensely. Particularly in the back court. Wake is really small back there and there is a strong correlation between length and defensive efficiency.

Our freshmen will bring length but Manning doesn’t utilize the length in our lineup now.

Just trying to pass the ball would help. UVa set up late in the game against us and made 12 passes and scored on one possession. It is possible to make quick passes and move around to get open. But instead we set up in spots, watch whoever gets the ball on the inbounds dribble until 10 seconds are left, Doral comes out to set somewhat of a screen and we head to the basket for a head down layup trying to draw contact.

Is it considered up-tempo when you jack up a contested 3 without ever passing the ball or is that still considered a half court set?

Is it considered up-tempo when you jack up a contested 3 without ever passing the ball or is that still considered a half court set?

The key is we need to wait at least 20 seconds first.

Do like they do at all intro basketball camps--make you pass 3 times before you shoot the ball. That would be novel.

Do like they do at all intro basketball camps--make you pass 3 times before you shoot the ball. That would be novel.

I would advocate a slightly different version: if Doral is on the court he has to touch the ball before someone jacks up a three.

Back