• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Slowing Tempo Would Help Wake

It depends on your team. If you don't have ballhandlers and passers and the other team plays good D, it's a problem.

I've been talking about our team. If we slow down, we won't score or rebound as well.

It depends on your team. If you don't have ballhandlers and passers and the other team plays good D, it's a problem.

I've been talking about our team. If we slow down, we won't score or rebound as well.

Based on the data so far for this season this is incorrect.

You could take the Virginia v Duke games as the perfect example. Virginia is clearly a better team than us but the game was really slow (98 total shots) - so we were in the game until the last couple minutes. Had a couple UVA shots not gone in and a couple of ours did then we pull out a win as the worse team.

Duke was very up tempo (115) and we were getting blown out most of the game. We made a couple runs here and there but we were down by a substantial margin most of the game.

The shots in this game also would be dramatically higher if there weren't so many foul shots. So it was more like WFU v UVa at 109 and the WFU v Duke game at 141 shots.

ETA that this would probably not include turnovers as well, which there were 31 of in the Duke game v 19 in UVA game

Last edited:
I mean to explain it in a more obvious manner.

If the game was:

1 possession
5 possessions
10 possessions
20 possessions
40 possessions
80 possessions

If you were 100% the better team and you know that then which number of possessions would you want the game to last?

I mean it's still 40 minutes of basketball.

Slower paced basketball also has fewer turnovers so there are fewer stoppages of play, so arguably by going slower it would go quicker (if that makes sense).

If the game were only 20 minutes long and ended at halftime, we'd be 12-7-1

Back