• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smartphones and society

I'm not overly concerned, honestly. I mean, I still know how to grow good tomatoes and field dress a buck, and these are skills that I've already passed down to my children. My 5yo is already pretty efficient at running a trot-line, and there are still evenings where my 8yo is content to sit out by the lake and catch catfish from dusk till dawn. If the grid goes down, my kids will still know how to plow a field because their grandpa has taught them how to live off the land. You can call us all hillbillies if you want, but if it all goes to hell, we still have access to a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive, so it doesn't worry me too much if my kids play Roblox for 20 minutes or so in the mornings.
Wilksboro boys can survive

And I am pretty sure Trot lines are also illegal in most of the waters in western NC so there's that too.

Trot lines are really bad for Alligator Snapping Turtles and will likely be illegal through out much of the south or only allowed with circle hooks in the next couple years.

I'd say 70% of my smartphone usage is texting my wife. 5% is texting other people. 5% is checking work email. The rest is listening to music or looking up stuff on the internet. That works out to maybe 30 minutes per day. I hate reading or watching stuff on my phone because it's too damn small and I refuse to get reading glasses as long as I can help it. I've never been on facebook, instagram, snapchat, or any other social media. If I'm home on the weekends, I rarely even look at my phone.

I've also posted on the chat thread about the dependency my kid has with her phone, even though it has been a conduit for her bullied. She gets enraged when someone "leaves her unopened" or someone doesn't respect the importance of a snap streak. She and kids her age seem to place zero value on privacy and their lack of phone security is appalling. They trust these devices and the algorithms in them more than the people around them, it seems. She didn't get her phone until she entered high school and was the last one in her class to have one.

I didn’t even consider music but yeah not having mobile access to Spotify would be an absolute killer.

Interesting. The boards and Desantis in agreement on an issue.

so if I spend a lot of my time on ogboards social media talking about video games and its music am I doubly fucked?

What is a "snap streak?" Is that something to encourage people to respond to Snapchats in a certain amount of time?

My boys are three years apart. Almost 15 and almost 12, 9th and 6th grade. My oldest wanted a phone in the 5th grade. Most of his friends had phones but we told him he had to wait until 6th. Then COVID happened and he lost all contact with his friends who were our family friends and his friendships never really recovered.

Fast forward to the youngest before 5th grade. He and his friends wanted to walk home from school with his friends instead of doing after school. We agreed...
Man, eldest kids got it hard

well smartphones and streaming (probably the internet) definitely ruined music.

when it's so easy to move onto the next song and the choice is nearly infinite, songs that aren't immediately catchy rarely get popular. and unfortunately the way to be immediately catchy is to be super derivative of other songs, which means they also get boring easy and can't do anything new or creative. SAD

Last edited:
Axios does tend to be alarmist but these statistics are pretty crazy

• Rates of depression and anxiety among U.S. adolescents were "fairly stable in the 2000s" but "rose by more than 50% in many studies from 2010 to 2019," Haidt writes in The Atlantic.
  • The suicide rate for kids between the ages of 10 and 14 tripled between 2007 and 2021, according to the CDC.
  • The share of U.S. high school girlswho seriously considered attempting suicide jumped from 19% in 2011 to 30% in 2021, per the CDC. The share of boys who considered suicide rose from 13% to 14%.
  • Just 1 in 3 12-to 17-year-olds say things are going well for children and teens today, per a recent Common Sense Media survey.

• In the early 2000s, middle and high school kids saw friends in person about 3 times a week. Now, that's closer to 1.5, according to data from the University of Michigan's Monitoring the Future project.
  • At the same time, screen time has skyrocketed. Teens spend an average of 4.8 hours on social media apps like TikTok, Instagram and Snapchat every day, according to Gallup. Among teen girls, that ticks up to 5.3 hours.
  • Teenagers are inundated with notifications, with one study estimating they get 237 pings a day, Haidt notes.

well smartphones and streaming (probably the internet) definitely ruined music.

when it's so easy to move onto the next song and the choice is nearly infinite, songs that aren't immediately catchy rarely get popular. and unfortunately the way to be immediately catchy is to be super derivative of other songs, which means they also get boring easy and can't do anything new or creative. SAD

On the other hand, we're not paying $18.99 for a 38-minute CD loaded with filler.

Axios does tend to be alarmist but these statistics are pretty crazy

I wonder how much of these teen depression and self harm statistics have to do with parents being absorbed in smartphones and social media as opposed to the kids being absorbed. That is, parents are paying less attention to their kids because they want to post their wordle score to impress their friends and their kids are suffering as a result.

I wonder how much of these teen depression and self harm statistics have to do with parents being absorbed in smartphones and social media as opposed to the kids being absorbed. That is, parents are paying less attention to their kids because they want to post their wordle score to impress their friends and their kids are suffering as a result.
Probably some. Probably more likely work stress being everywhere with expectations of accessibility with smart phones than wordle though.

how are my kids supposed to feel validated if i don't feel it first

I don't think smartphone abstinence would be good for kids, it's going to be pretty required to be fluent in interacting with devices, data, and tools like AI. You'd be a bit left-behind when it comes to the future job market and society in our connected culture.

Back