• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smartphones and society

I don't think smartphone abstinence would be good for kids, it's going to be pretty required to be fluent in interacting with devices, data, and tools like AI. You'd be a bit left-behind when it comes to the future job market and society in our connected culture.

kids today can barely write an email or use basic word processing and they grew up with the tech

I don't think smartphone abstinence would be good for kids, it's going to be pretty required to be fluent in interacting with devices, data, and tools like AI. You'd be a bit left-behind when it comes to the future job market and society in our connected culture.
The tools you're talking about here are fairly easy to pick up, though, unless you're wanting to be on the developing side of things... I don't think there is any real risk that kids wouldn't learn how to use them in plenty of time to succeed in college and beyond.
On the other hand, the decline of anyone's ability to write a coherent paragraph or read something longer than a short article... that's what kids really need to be learning right now. The 'tech literacy' issue is overstated, to the detriment of actual literacy.

The tools you're talking about here are fairly easy to pick up, though, unless you're wanting to be on the developing side of things... I don't think there is any real risk that kids wouldn't learn how to use them in plenty of time to succeed in college and beyond.
On the other hand, the decline of anyone's ability to write a coherent paragraph or read something longer than a short article... that's what kids really need to be learning right now. The 'tech literacy' issue is overstated, to the detriment of actual literacy.
You could use AI to help write your paragraph or make it coherent, and to summarize a short article into salient points. This just feels like other generations railing against calculators, microwaves, cake mix, and automatic transmissions.

You could use AI to help write your paragraph or make it coherent, and to summarize a short article into salient points. This just feels like other generations railing against calculators, microwaves, cake mix, and automatic transmissions.
except, at least right now, generative ai is not actually making anything more coherent

We have been sold the idea of infinite progress via technology. That seems to be getting wobbly after ~200 years of rapid change. Have smartphones actually made our lives better?

Most people would probably be happier just being a shepherd.

We have been sold the idea of infinite progress via technology. That seems to be getting wobbly after ~200 years of rapid change. Have smartphones actually made our lives better?

Most people would probably be happier just being a shepherd.

a shpeherd with modern food options, clothing/gear and access to modern medicine

but yeah, probably

Back