• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Anybody ever use a Smobot or Egg Genius or Fireboard?

I’m debating pulling the trigger. Feels like cheating but it would be nice to do overnight cooks without worrying about the fire.

A friend just bought one a few days ago. He is excited to try it. How often do you guys clean your grates on the smoker?

Each time. I have a fire pit in the backyard that usually has a bunch of sticks in it. I toss the remaining coals from the smoker in there to light a fire then toss the grate onto that to burn off all the grease and stuck on crud. Otherwise it grows mildew and stuff.

I’m debating pulling the trigger. Feels like cheating but it would be nice to do overnight cooks without worrying about the fire.

My partner has the Egg Genius and has used it with great results. I haven't bothered. Once the fire is stable (about 1-2 hours into the cook), my BGE stays at 225 pretty automatically with both vents slightly opened. I've done shoulders overnight and not worried about it. Maybe if I got into briskets I would consider it, but I don't need it for shoulders/ribs/chickens.

I have a Kamado Joe iKamand and it's great. Who cares if it's cheating. Tools separate us from other animals.

I have a Flame Boss for my BGE. It's a game changer. Can adjust the temperature from my phone on the golf course.

doing my first brisket on Father's Day. so far I've done wings, pork butt, and ribs on the Joe and all have been great. grilled a lot of things before I got up the nerve to try smoking on it.

doing my first brisket on Father's Day. so far I've done wings, pork butt, and ribs on the Joe and all have been great. grilled a lot of things before I got up the nerve to try smoking on it.

Don't get crazy on your first one. Salt and pepper for a rub and maybe some Lowery's Seasoning Salt if you're feeling frisky.

I was super worried about my first and it was perfect.

Don't get crazy on your first one. Salt and pepper for a rub and maybe some Lowery's Seasoning Salt if you're feeling frisky.

I was super worried about my first and it was perfect.

There was an article that Lawrys is the secret ingredient in a lot of classic Texas bbq joints. You always just hear about salt and pepper and nothing else.

Its a great smoker, but you are paying for the Traeger name. I saw the same one at Costco on Sunday for $100 cheaper.

I'm happy with my Louisiana Grill, made by the same folks that make the Pit Boss Smokers.

We ordered ours through Costco, and its larger than the one you linked and was $150 cheaper. As a perk, it came fully assembled. The delivery folks said it was part of the Costco deal.

We're actually about to order another one for the firetruck to use this fall.

Yes, I'm a Costco homer.

Its a great smoker, but you are paying for the Traeger name. I saw the same one at Costco on Sunday for $100 cheaper.

I'm happy with my Louisiana Grill, made by the same folks that make the Pit Boss Smokers.

We ordered ours through Costco, and its larger than the one you linked and was $150 cheaper. As a perk, it came fully assembled. The delivery folks said it was part of the Costco deal.

We're actually about to order another one for the firetruck to use this fall.

Yes, I'm a Costco homer.

Disappointed you ever do something other than offset.

There was an article that Lawrys is the secret ingredient in a lot of classic Texas bbq joints. You always just hear about salt and pepper and nothing else.

Yep, that and beef tallow.

Just got a smoke tube for the Traeger.

Motha fucking game changer. Anyone with a pellet grill needs to be using these.

Which one did you get and how easy is it to use? It sounds easy, but we've already documented that I'm an idiot.

I loved my reverse flow stickburner, but love the convenience of the pellet smoker.

I have three kamados. Pellet smokers are to kamados as automatic transmissions are to stick shifts. I'm a stick shift guy.

Back