• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

I'm in heaven!

ultimate-catering-trailer.jpg

My dream smoker is one of the old Jedmaster cookers with the oscillating 3x5' grates x 3 and their 'ring of fire' charcoal chamber. Those bad boys are sweet but very, very pricey. Love having the rotisserie action of the grates so the meats are constantly basting themselves with drippings. Acutally I believe they discontinued their commercial series and now focus on the smaller backyard models.

If I could find some decent blueprints and schematics for the airflow and an electric motor, I think fabricating a high quality, custom smoker using that design could be done.

I have a 7lb pork shoulder that should be ready in time for game two.

Just to try it I applied a layer of the Bone Sucking Mustard Sauce last night and then applied the rub on top. I have been applying a mop every 45 minutes. First time smoking a shoulder.

photo-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Did any of you stop by Jack's on Broadway while in Nashville? We went there for lunch one day and I went upstairs to check out his cooking setup. It was quite interesting. He had a large smoke chamber, and cooked with just wood. Inside, there was a massive rotisserie, and he had a temperature gauge on the firebox. It was automatically set up to open the damper at 275 and would close the damper at 350. The temp would slowly decrease back to 275 and it'd open up to get more airflow to increase the heat. It was unique, and an easy way to cook with limited human interaction. It would open the damper on average about every 3 minutes. It had an alarm if the fire was dwindling down and couldn't get back up to temp after a coue minutes, but they had a system of when to add another piece to keep that from happening.

I had always seen commercial BBQ setups but that was the first commercial smoke setup that I'd been able to get close enough to inspect. I can see a lot of advantages to that setup, but the biggest downfall IMO would be the constant fluctuation of temps from 350-275.

The only thing I can figure is its the temp they'd need to cook enough meat in the given time. That's a good 75 to 100 degrees hotter than I like.

Did any of you stop by Jack's on Broadway while in Nashville? We went there for lunch one day and I went upstairs to check out his cooking setup. It was quite interesting. He had a large smoke chamber, and cooked with just wood. Inside, there was a massive rotisserie, and he had a temperature gauge on the firebox. It was automatically set up to open the damper at 275 and would close the damper at 350. The temp would slowly decrease back to 275 and it'd open up to get more airflow to increase the heat. It was unique, and an easy way to cook with limited human interaction. It would open the damper on average about every 3 minutes. It had an alarm if the fire was dwindling down and couldn't get back up to temp after a coue minutes, but they had a system of when to add another piece to keep that from happening.

I had always seen commercial BBQ setups but that was the first commercial smoke setup that I'd been able to get close enough to inspect. I can see a lot of advantages to that setup, but the biggest downfall IMO would be the constant fluctuation of temps from 350-275.

There are far more precise systems on the market that monitor temps and use a fan to control air flow:

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/
http://www.thebbqguru.com/
http://www.pitmasteriq.com/

The nice systems hook up to your network and allow you to monitor the temps of the air and meat via laptop, smartphone, etc.

Anybody have good tips, rubs, etc, for doing a Brisket? I want to do something for Super Bowl.

Also, is it possible to do pork butts and brisket in the same vertical smoker? And by possible, I really mean, is it a good idea?

Stay away from sugar based rubs on a brisket, due to the length of time needed to cook it properly.

You'll do fine to cook them together, I've mixed multiple meats almost every time I've smoked meats in the past.

I cook my briskets and my butts about the same amount of time (10-12 hours). I don't have any problem with sugar on butts as long as I use something other than white sugar. Brown works well, turbinado works best. That said, I don't think my brisket rubs really use sugar.

Easy easy Texas style rub for a brisket is one part salt, one part pepper, 1/3 part cayenne, and 1/3 part garlic powder. NO SUGAR. Its got some serious POP to it!

Ham and a pork butt going on the smoker for this weekend. Ham is currently curing. Should be enough to feed the 35 people coming over. If not, brats only take a couple of hours.

So per tuffalo, the Twin City Ribfest might be doing away with the Amateur competition. This brings me great sadness as I really enjoyed it. They're moving back downtown and are "going back to basics".

Awww.

You thinking about trying a spring game tailgate this year tsy?

They've taken all acknowledgement of the amateur competition down from their website, and I just don't see there being enough space at the new location. The title sponsor of the Amateur Competition the previous two years is t even sponsoring Rinfest this year.

Looks like its time to move forward with the WFU tailgating competition that I was discussing with the AD about.

Im not sure about the spring game cookout. I'd love to, but won't know for sure until the date is formally announced. We are burning down a house on April 14th, which is the rumored date. If that ends up being the date, I won't be able to make it.

They've taken all acknowledgement of the amateur competition down from their website, and I just don't see there being enough space at the new location. The title sponsor of the Amateur Competition the previous two years is t even sponsoring Rinfest this year.

Looks like its time to move forward with the WFU tailgating competition that I was discussing with the AD about.

Im not sure about the spring game cookout. I'd love to, but won't know for sure until the date is formally announced. We are burning down a house on April 14th, which is the rumored date. If that ends up being the date, I won't be able to make it.

Nooooes, hopefully that's not the date then. :tear:

Last years was gonna be so awesome, and then the weather had to ruin it all.

I've posed the question on the twrf Facebook page. Hopefully Allen will respond, even though I know the answer.

Btw, our church is doing Boston butts for Easter, to be cooked on Good Friday. If you are interested in one, lemme know.

I've posed the question on the twrf Facebook page. Hopefully Allen will respond, even though I know the answer.

Btw, our church is doing Boston butts for Easter, to be cooked on Good Friday. If you are interested in one, lemme know.

:werd: not sure if I'm going to be in town then or not at this point. Will do though.

Back