• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

It seems like a good idea, but in practice, don't bother IMO. Wood won't soak up much water because the cells expand and seal off water from absorbing very far. Otherwise wooden barrels wouldn't hold liquids.

He's correct, it only penetrates 1/8", but he doesn't take into account what occurs once the wood is placed on the fire. If you take two equal pieces of wood (in size, shape, and density), one soaked and one not, and place them on fires of equal temperature, the one that was soaked will produce more smoke and burn to ash less rapidly than the unsoaked wood. The National Fire Academy did a test in a vacuum chamber to prove the point. They've got a really interesting video on it that I saw during a fire behavior class, but I can't find the video online. Once the soaked portion burns off, yes they'll burn at equal rates, but the soaked wood will cause the wood burn longer overall and will initially smolder producing more smoke. The length of time is dependent on the heat source. Whether or not it's worth the time and energy it takes to soak the wood is a matter of personal opinion, but it does make a difference.

He's correct, it only penetrates 1/8", but he doesn't take into account what occurs once the wood is placed on the fire. If you take two equal pieces of wood (in size, shape, and density), one soaked and one not, and place them on fires of equal temperature, the one that was soaked will produce more smoke and burn to ash less rapidly than the unsoaked wood. The National Fire Academy did a test in a vacuum chamber to prove the point. They've got a really interesting video on it that I saw during a fire behavior class, but I can't find the video online. Once the soaked portion burns off, yes they'll burn at equal rates, but the soaked wood will cause the wood burn longer overall and will initially smolder producing more smoke. The length of time is dependent on the heat source. Whether or not it's worth the time and energy it takes to soak the wood is a matter of personal opinion, but it does make a difference.

Good info...I should know better than to speak authoritatively on anything dealing with fire here. :thumbsup: But between this video and my own testing of soaked vs non-soaked in the same fire, I can say pretty confidently that it's not worth it for me. It seems to depend more about how hot you run your fire and how much airflow you provide than anything, at least with regards to a charcoal smoker. The best results seem to come from starting with only a little bit of lit charcoal and using airflow to dial in the temps. Even laying directly on top of a lit coal, I never have problems with my wood chunks flaming up.

if your having issues with the soaked wood but want more smoke id try soaking pecan shells.. it infuses a good flavor as well

Discussed the wood issue with my dad who is more techinical and mechanically inclined than I am. Told him what you all suggested about the tin foil and he said that should do the trick. He said he definitely thought the cast iron pan was probably getting too hot. Going to try soaking the wood and raising up the wood on a few pieces of balled up tin foil to keep it off the bottom of the cast iron pan and if that works, I will get my dad working on a more permanent modification.

I will also get some pics up of my set up, if interested, with some internal pics of the smoker and the old microwave cart my dad built back in the 70's that we refurbished and put a stainless steel top on that I use as a rolling island between the grill and smoker.

I will also get some pics up of my set up, if interested, with some internal pics of the smoker and the old microwave cart my dad built back in the 70's that we refurbished and put a stainless steel top on that I use as a rolling island between the grill and smoker.
Do it. This thread needs more pictures.

Racer, do you have the 18" or the 22" WSM, and do you have any issues putting large cuts of meat on there? A buddy of mine texted me last weekend asking which one would be better, and my gut told him to go ahead and get the 22" because it'd give him more opportunities.

Racer, do you have the 18" or the 22" WSM, and do you have any issues putting large cuts of meat on there? A buddy of mine texted me last weekend asking which one would be better, and my gut told him to go ahead and get the 22" because it'd give him more opportunities.

I have the 18, and I've been perfectly happy with it on every occasion except when we do ribs at the tailgate. I think I've crammed 12 or 13 racks on there, but it's tight and requires some work. It would still be work to fit that many on a 22, but you wouldn't need to cut as many racks in half...i.e. you'll still need to fabricate a 3rd shelf. For most of what I do, the 18 is better though because it uses less fuel, will run longer on a single fuel load, etc. Once a year I wish I had the 22 instead, but I've been back and forth on getting a larger wood burner anyway which would make it a moot point.

Let's talk ribs...

I have only smoked them twice. First time was on my dad's Holland Grill, which isn't really a smoker, but they turned out pretty good. The 2nd time was on my smoker and they had good flavor but were not tender enough. After some research, I plan on using the 3-2-1 method next time.

I have yet to remove the membrane on the back. Any tips or tricks?

Let's talk ribs...

I have only smoked them twice. First time was on my dad's Holland Grill, which isn't really a smoker, but they turned out pretty good. The 2nd time was on my smoker and they had good flavor but were not tender enough. After some research, I plan on using the 3-2-1 method next time.

I have yet to remove the membrane on the back. Any tips or tricks?

Use a paper towel to help you grip the membrane.

Use a paper towel to help you grip the membrane.

This. A standard table knife with a rounded tip is great for getting a purchase point on the membrane, then use the paper towel to pull the rest off. Its a good deal of work, but very much worth it.

I don't bother with the 3-2-1. I've never had problems getting ribs that are tender, without being fall-off-the-bone, by cooking for 4-5 hours without foil. I do like to sauce my ribs and throw them over some direct heat at the end.

I don't bother with the 3-2-1. I've never had problems getting ribs that are tender, without being fall-off-the-bone, by cooking for 4-5 hours without foil. I do like to sauce my ribs and throw them over some direct heat at the end.

Still cook them low and slow? The ribs I cooked on my smoker went about 4 hours, I think and were not as tender as the ones I did at my dad's that went about the same. Obviously, the cooking method was a little different. I smoked mine around 225.

I agree, every time I've tried a 3-2-1, the ribs were always overcooked.

Still cook them low and slow? The ribs I cooked on my smoker went about 4 hours, I think and were not as tender as the ones I did at my dad's that went about the same. Obviously, the cooking method was a little different. I smoked mine around 225.

I cook everything between 250 and 275. Again its a personal preference, but I cant really tell a difference in taste or tenderness between cooking at 225 and 275, and IMO the benefit of the quicker cook time lead me to smoke hotter. Aint nobody got time for that.

I'm thinking about doing something relatively simple on Sunday while we watch The Masters....any suggestions? I'll accept grill too.

Whole chickens are pretty easy, followed by pork shoulders or briskets IMO. Ribs tend to take more babying than the others. For a shorter time, you could try smoking a tri-tip. I know leftcoastdeac has smoked a few of those with success.

I consider anything below 300 to be "low and slow", so yeah. But, like Tsy, I bump things up to 250-275. I don't taste much difference between 4 hours at 275 and 6 at 225. At least not enough to bother with the extra time when I'm cooking for a crowd. Noted, I like to really slow cook butts and briskets, but they don't require the attention that ribs do.

So, I haven't smoked anything in like 8 months as I left my smoker behind in Gainesville. However, I think that for the lady friend's graduation we're going to try and do more of a a BBQ. My problem is timing.

The BBQ needs to be around 1PM on Saturday and I've got something that's going to last until around 10AM on Friday and I have to be somewhere around 7PM that night.

Should I just leave the pork out overnight on Thursday night to get to room temperature and cut down the cooking time?

Should I just leave the pork out overnight on Thursday night to get to room temperature and cut down the cooking time?

No! That's very dangerous from a food safety standpoint. Besides, BBQ pork is about time spent cooking and way less about temperature. It reaches "done" (i.e. safely edible) temperature a few hours into the cook, but that's not enough time for all of the magic to happen and sinews/fat to break down and create moist, pullable BBQ. You'd see little difference in starting with a near frozen butt or room temp butt in my experience.

It sounds like you could get the BBQ on around midnight on Friday and have it done in plenty of time.

Last edited:
So, I haven't smoked anything in like 8 months as I left my smoker behind in Gainesville. However, I think that for the lady friend's graduation we're going to try and do more of a a BBQ. My problem is timing.

The BBQ needs to be around 1PM on Saturday and I've got something that's going to last until around 10AM on Friday and I have to be somewhere around 7PM that night.

When are you cooking? You should have enough time to cook Friday night after your 7pm engagement and have it ready for 1pm Saturday without having to set it out.

Don't freak out when the stall comes around 160 degrees. I knew about it and was still getting nervous when I smoked for Easter.

Seems like your best bet will be overnight, after the event on Friday night. Prepping everything on Friday afternoon will help expedite "time to cooking" once you get home Friday night.

Back