• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Up next are 6 beef tri-tips that I'm going to reverse sear and some chicken breasts for my wife's graduation party. Just in case people don't like the beef we're throwing in the chicken, but honestly, who doesn't like a good smoked tri-tip?

So you are still going to cook those to medium/med rare?

Just smoke them first at low them and then sear the bejeez out of them at end?

What temp do you cook them at? Seems like you would maybe have to put them straight from the fridge to the smoker, and then go like right at 200 to get enough smoke on them.

I like the reverse smoke idea though. I may do a whole beef tenderloin that way this wknd.

We are going to do a late Cinco de Mayo party in a few weeks. I think I'm going to smoke a brisket with tex-mex seasoning (read: heat) and pull it apart for use in soft tacos. Any thoughts on how best to execute this? Anybody got a good spice rub idea? Or a good board dressing I can use to add extra heat to a portion?

Any thoughts? Smoking commences tomorrow morning. It's a 12 pounder so I'm planning on at least a 10 hour process.

Any thoughts? Smoking commences tomorrow morning. It's a 12 pounder so I'm planning on at least a 10 hour process.

How did it end up going? Apologies on not coming up with a good rub for you, that is my wife's specialty.

Tri-tips marinated in a soy, honey, something something something marinate since Tuesday. They're on now and smell delicious enough to eat raw.

pytypyme.jpg

I ended up using my normal rub, then an hour before serving put on a glaze made with some habanero sauce, apple cider vinegar, and spices. I chickened out on adding too much heat because I didn't think most of my guests really wanted it. It was delicious.

Going to try to turn my weber kettle into a smoker today. Got some of the charcoal baskets from weber so will use that to cordon off the lit coals going to put a little water pan under the ribs.

2 racks of ribs from whole foods that look nice rubbed down in the fridge. Made my own rub with probably too many ingredients but tastes good; it has salt, sugar, cumin, smoked paprika, mexican chile powder, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, ground thyme, ground ginger, and a little ground mustard.

Not able to change much now but any tips or tricks I should know along the way are welcome...hopefully things go well and I will be doing this again soon.

Memorial Day barrel smoker will be loaded with a) a whole turkey, b) a shoulder and c) twin (synchronized, of course) beer can chickens. Grilled (cast-iron) potato salad is the finishing move. Even Harris Teeter is putting Nature's candy on special this weekend.

Going to try to turn my weber kettle into a smoker today. Got some of the charcoal baskets from weber so will use that to cordon off the lit coals going to put a little water pan under the ribs.

2 racks of ribs from whole foods that look nice rubbed down in the fridge. Made my own rub with probably too many ingredients but tastes good; it has salt, sugar, cumin, smoked paprika, mexican chile powder, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, ground thyme, ground ginger, and a little ground mustard.

Not able to change much now but any tips or tricks I should know along the way are welcome...hopefully things go well and I will be doing this again soon.

I used to be entirely against this method, but it works. Once you get the bark the color you want, foil them with some honey, apple juice and butter. Cook for 30 min. Then put them over direct heat for 5 min each side and slather with sauce. Enjoy!

I used to be entirely against this method, but it works. Once you get the bark the color you want, foil them with some honey, apple juice and butter. Cook for 30 min. Then put them over direct heat for 5 min each side and slather with sauce. Enjoy!

That is one of the methods I have been considering and with your endorsement it def moves up in the ranking. The other contenders are suacing for the last 30 mins on the heat, stacking periodically to "self baste" then saucing, or just going native all the way and having some sauce available if desired

I was a purist. Staying On the smoke throughout, then with some work I perfected the Texas crutch. I hate to admit it, but that method truly is better.

Last night grilled chicken tenders (for the kids) and brats (for the adults), grilled three potato salad (sweet, redskin and russet all in a cast iron skillet with nothing but salt, pepper, EVOO and roast garlic and red onions; no dressing required), and foil-wrapped grilled corn.

Keeping the outdoor cooking thread going, I thought I would do a smoked seafood salad: salmon steaks currently curing under kosher salt and brown sugar. I've got a good Youtube video on those...looking for advice on smoking tuna steaks. Anyone have experience on tuna?

So how do you sear it? Marinating right now. Thinking about cooking tuna and chicken breasts over direct heat and doing the salmon over indirect.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I just sprinkle it with salt and pepper, get a searing hot grill, and go just long enough on each side to get your sear marks. The key is to keep it raw in the center. Under no circumstances should you fully cook it through.

Sweet sassy mo-lassy smoked salmon was insanely good. Going to do that many more times. Extra fillet on hand for bagel and cream cheese mañana.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Needed to resurrect this thread. I've had a pork shoulder going for 3.5 hrs and the backyard already smells like heaven. Dinner will be high quality today.

I'm cooking pulled pork for 200 tonight. Gotta have it ready by lunch tomorrow.

Back