• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

going to reading terminal this afternoon to see if any of the butchers have tri tips

called a couple spots in germantown that are famous butchers, but they hadn't heard of them and their distributors couldn't get them very soon

Great news for Triad area smoking Deacs! I found a couple places with beef tri-tip. Costco in Greensboro has tri-tip, along with the Olde World Meat Market. http://oldeworldmeatmarket.com/

Been there once a few months back. Do you have to order the tri-tip or did they have it available? Was thinking of smoking a pork butt Christmas day, but with the weather was thinking of doing something that wouldn't take as long.

I cold called them this morning and they had some in stock. I ordered a couple to pick up this afternoon.

How big are these? I read a few pages back where you said you only smoke for about an hour to 130/135 and then finish on the grill. My in-laws make ham for Christmas dinner, but I am not a huge fan of ham so I always do something else for me that of course I have to make extra to share.

called a couple spots in germantown that are famous butchers, but they hadn't heard of them and their distributors couldn't get them very soon

They don't really sound like a butcher if they need their distributor to get them a specific cut of meat. Find a place that does all of their own cutting/grinding/butchering, and they should be able to get you tri-tip. Most butchers that don't have a demand for it just grind it. They'll be more than happy to just sell you the roast at a higher price.

There's a great butcher that just opened a few blocks from my office. As long as I give him 1-2 days lead time, he can get most any cut I want. He works with local farms, so it takes a day or two to get the animal into the store and butchered down. Bought a bunch of pork fat off of him a few weeks ago to grind into my venison.

Last edited:
How big are these? I read a few pages back where you said you only smoke for about an hour to 130/135 and then finish on the grill. My in-laws make ham for Christmas dinner, but I am not a huge fan of ham so I always do something else for me that of course I have to make extra to share.

Nevermind, I will just call.

Most were about 4-5 lbs apiece, depending on how much fat needs to be trimmed. I'm cooking for 12 Christmas Eve and am cooking 2 tri-tips.

Sweet! Just pre-ordered two tri-tips! For ease I may just use some Allegro marinade.

Most were about 4-5 lbs apiece, depending on how much fat needs to be trimmed. I'm cooking for 12 Christmas Eve and am cooking 2 tri-tips.

Talk to me Goose! Just trim the obvious stuff off the sides/ends?

I'll make sure to tell them there may be more orders coming when I pick mine up this afternoon. If they're going to keep them in stock, Olde World will certainly become part of my rotation.

My brother told me about them and I went in a few months ago. Said they had killer sausage. Was pretty impressed with the look of their meats. My mom loaded up on steaks/chops for her freezer.

Talk to me Goose! Just trim the obvious stuff off the sides/ends?

Yeah, you'll see an obvious fat cap on the side of the meat if the butcher has not already trimmed it. The wholesale case I got before wasn't trimmed, which was nice and allowed me to tailor the amount of fat I wanted on the cap based upon how much marbling there was in the meat itself. Some people just cut slices into the cap to help allow it to render, but when I reverse sear there isnt a whole lot of rendering done. The couple I tried with larger amounts of fat on them ended up flaming up when I seared them. That was my intent for those, because some people wanted them medium well to well done, whereas my usual temperature for beef is medium rare.

img1624f.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

They don't really sound like a butcher if they need their distributor to get them a specific cut of meat. Find a place that does all of their own cutting/grinding/butchering, and they should be able to get you tri-tip. Most butchers that don't have a demand for it just grind it. They'll be more than happy to just sell you the roast at a higher price.

There's a great butcher that just opened a few blocks from my office. As long as I give him 1-2 days lead time, he can get most any cut I want. He works with local farms, so it takes a day or two to get the animal into the store and butchered down. Bought a bunch of pork fat off of him a few weeks ago to grind into my venison.

yeah i know i think i was looking in the wrong spot bc they do more wurst/sausage type stuff

i'm banking on reading terminal today

Looks good! You marinate overnight? I am picking mine up today, but will probably toss them in the Allegro tomorrow AM. Should I throw it in marinade tonight?

We marinate for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight. Two usually fit in a gallon sized zip lock bag and we keep them in the fridge. I'll pull them out an let them get to room temperature a few hours before I intend to cook them so as not to shock the meat.

Sounds good! I will let the boards know how they turn out. May check out that soy marinade recipe again.

If you plan on reverse searing, save the drippings from when you let the meat rest both between smoking and searing and after searing. Its a great au jus to drizzle over the sliced meat.

Back