• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Smoking Food Thread

Thanks. And uncooked, obviously, because it can only absorb smoke flavor up to a certain temp, right?

Think I'll pair smoked sausage with this fennel+goat cheese side and a lemon blueberry cake.

Is that a temp just for sausage or all meats? Is that the temp you should consistently stop adding wood chips (for a noob like me with an electric smoker)?

Its any meat. Once it reaches that temperature, the cells are no longer permeable by the smoke. You can keep adding flavoring chips, but the smoke will only build up as creosote on the outside of the meat rather than penetrate it.

Got a couple pounds each of merguez and kielbasa. Excited to give each of them a go. My first time cooking with merguez at all.

What does everybody have on the docket for the Big Game?

I'm about to throw some ribs on the smoker.

We were flipping channels last night and ended up on BBQ Pitmasters. I joked that when I retire we should just get an RV and bounce around the BBQ circuit. Turns out the fiancee thinks that's an awesome idea, so I have that going for me.

Wings go on in a few hours. I do a dry rub for the smoke and finish them in a little sauce in the crock pot.

14 pound brisket came out of the smoker at noon after an overnight smoke. Wrapped and sauced, back in to hold at 150 until a couple hours before people start showing up. Then hoping to cut the point and do some burnt ends along with some moinks as a backup in case the brisket is dry or something.

Aaron Franklin finally published a smoking book that will be released 4/7/15.
http://smile.amazon.com/Franklin-Ba...qid=1425403606&sr=8-1&keywords=aaron+franklin

Looks like I'll be adding this to the collection.

Also, since the Spring Game is a week earlier this year, I'll be able to attend finally. I've not smoked anything in a long time, so there will be food on the smoker that day. Now, what do I want to cook?

I haven't smoked anything since 1/1. I did just eat a burrito that I made with left over pork from that day; pork, some greens, black eyed peas, and cheese - delicious.

That Franklin book is going to be awesome from what I've been hearing about it.

I'm gonna do some breakfast stuff in a week I think, I have my eye on some egg dishes but I'll take suggestions if anyone has any.

Hmm bacon wrapped vidalia onions. I may have to experiment at the spring game.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/side-vegetable/smoked-bacon-wrapped-french-vidalia-onion.html

i.3.mLfddLzFjATnWbPPjyddQmJC7Fb0HRZmDZMEEdUDVos..jpg

Anyone smoking Easter weekend? Doing some tri-tip on Saturday. May try the onions above.

Planning on some doing some ribs Saturday, nothing fancy. Wish I had the time to do a pork shoulder but no dice.

Back