• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Texas snow is like a thin layer of ice everywhere with a little dusting on top. My dog was thoroughly under impressed. I think the whole region has 6 plows though, so expect me to more at home than I normally am, which is already alot.

Weather is gross. My old man dog refused to leave the house this morning.

Be careful this morning! Multiple accidents are being reported throughout WS/GSO area. Business 40, 52, and Silas Creek are now reporting standstills...

Be careful this morning! Multiple accidents are being reported throughout WS/GSO area. Business 40, 52, and Silas Creek are now reporting standstills...

Yeah my drive to work took an hour and I ended up having to turn around. Grew up in the mountains and today was the worst conditions I’ve ever driven in.

Wow, that's crazy. Reportedly a 20 car pileup on 421 near Deep Gap. A friend is saying that local mets and WS/FC schools are getting blasted for downplaying this event and for not delaying school. My son said most of his friends are not going in. Sadly, for him, he is after 1st period.

And my kid acted like I'm crazy for asking him to let me know when he's at school.

Wow, that's crazy. Reportedly a 20 car pileup on 421 near Deep Gap. A friend is saying that local mets and WS/FC schools are getting blasted for downplaying this event and for not delaying school. My son said most of his friends are not going in. Sadly, for him, he is after 1st period.

My wife works at Central Office, and most of her department either got stuck in traffic, hit from behind, or gave up and went back home this morning. Nobody can believe there wasn't at least a delay until the sun came up. She's doing half-days for a couple of weeks, and likes to go in early, but with a post-op arm, she's not going in until at least noon. Crazy lack of common sense here.

Yeah my drive to work took an hour and I ended up having to turn around. Grew up in the mountains and today was the worst conditions I’ve ever driven in.

I woke up this morning and looked at my email in bed. I was positive that they would at least 2 hour delay it. Nada.

It's a bummer, because central NC fundamentally doesn't understand cold weather. It's interesting how much historical/institutionalized knowledge about weather I took for granted growing up in WV.

It's not the snow you have to worry about, it's ice. Sometimes (but not always) snow leads to ice. This was a clear case of: "here comes some fuckin' ice."

NC weather. especially wintry conditions are difficult to predict with our topography, trees, and many other factors. However, when amateurs on weather message boards are saying that tomorrow will be dicey, and problematic yet our local meteorologists from WXII and WGHP downplay this event people are going to get hurt or die.

A woman died in Pfafftown, just a few miles from my house, due to these hazardous conditions. I still remember Katie Sleep and Andrew Doub, and every time we have a possible storm I think of them.... Sad reminders of two young lives lost just so they could go to school. I'm probably a bit more "bent" on this because I was about to make our son get his butt to school. So glad that I went out before him and said, "Ahh, hell no!."

NC weather. especially wintry conditions are difficult to predict with our topography, trees, and many other factors. However, when amateurs on weather message boards are saying that tomorrow will be dicey, and problematic yet our local meteorologists from WXII and WGHP downplay this event people are going to get hurt or die. [\QUOTE]

This doesn’t look like downplaying it to me.

77ddb58baa777edd30e18f9d66a1dc75.jpg

I watched her segment and didn't get the feeling that she (they) were indicating significant travel issues. I would think that if they felt there was a significant concern for travel they would have insisted that the school system and others to have a delayed start.

IMO, this is their job and they failed to properly warn the community. These accidents shut down I-40, 52, 421, Silas Creek Parkway, etc. If you think her graphic communicates what we saw this morning, go for it. I would think that the first responders that went to 70 accidents (in Forsyth County) would disagree.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/i...cle_f9200168-8829-11ec-ad51-8fdf40bc852c.html

Cancel Lanie Pope ?

Haha! I'm not big on the cancel culture route with weather personalities. I think NC wintry weather is very nuanced and hard to get right. Actually, Tim Buckley mentioned it on Saturday, but I didn't watch his show like a moron. I just think that if random weather people on Americanwx forums are stating they think it will be a bad morning and then local meteorologists don't state this clearly.... and, then still play the card, "We told you it would be like this.", it's BS. Error on the side of caution and adjust your news show properly. Rant over and hope for a snow storm around the 14th!
Rant over!

I canceled her over 20 years ago when they pre-empted the Kentucky Derby for several hours of tornado coverage.

I canceled her about 15 years ago when she asks me to sit down and be quiet on Deacon Hill while I was standing and cheering for us to beat #13 GT.

I canceled her over 20 years ago when they pre-empted the Kentucky Derby for several hours of tornado coverage.

LOL, I remember that. God, there were some angry people when they did that. I read somewhere that the station was flooded with calls from pissed-off Derby fans.

Back