• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

Things we should not be closing an entire school district for:
a few country roads being bad
the temperature being 20-23 degrees when the kids are standing out at the bus stop

WSFCS nailed it today. Delayed opening to be safe. Kids still get a full day counted for attendance and we aren't stretching the school year even further into June.

Correct. All part of the ongoing wussification of America.

Just stopped by my local ACE to pick up some sleds for the kids and I've never seen that place busier. Everyone is walking out with salt, shovels, or sleds. People are getting serious.

If it's just a nice snow without sleet or freezing rain, it should be a pretty fun one.

I understand why the "we northerners don't cancel school for snow" posts are dumb and despised, and so please let me be clear that what I am about to post is completely different than that:

It was -6 degrees and sunny here yesterday morning. I don't know of a single school that canceled or delayed opening. Put your kids in a fucking coat, a fucking hat and some goddamn gloves. Those aren't north-specific things.

I understand why the "we northerners don't cancel school for snow" posts are dumb and despised, and so please let me be clear that what I am about to post is completely different than that:

It was -6 degrees and sunny here yesterday morning. I don't know of a single school that canceled or delayed opening. Put your kids in a fucking coat, a fucking hat and some goddamn gloves. Those aren't north-specific things.

similarly, they haven't collected trash in DC in over a week but I understand Boston has had continued trash pick-up all winter.

similarly, they haven't collected trash in DC in over a week but I understand Boston has had continued trash pick-up all winter.

Oh seriously? That's actually sort of impressive if true. Of course, I can only assume that DC's metro is holding up way better than the MBTA has, so I guess it evens out.

I think there was trash pickup today at my house. I totally forgot to put out my cans last night so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I heard the truck this morning.

I think there was trash pickup today at my house. I totally forgot to put out my cans last night so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure I heard the truck this morning.

I've seen trucks driving every morning while walking to work, but I think they just scan an alley and decide to not go down them. if little Honda Civics and such can get through alleys, surely big ol' garbage trucks can.

Couple things:
https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth -- worth a read
https://www.facebook.com/wxbradWCNC - Brad is just really good at breaking down weather

PTI Precip rates:
prec.png

RDU Precip rates:
prec.png

So that's rates or totals? You listed it as rate, but the green line is running total? That means he's saying we're only getting 1.5" of snow. Or am I reading that wrong?

Totals listed at the top - my fault. The "rate" would be the bars over time.

1.5 inches of precip (so 1.5 inches of precip falling as snow). If 10x1 snow to rain ratio ...

So that's rates or totals? You listed it as rate, but the green line is running total? That means he's saying we're only getting 1.5" of snow. Or am I reading that wrong?

the adult part of me wants some 50* days and rain to melt the ice around my car and let me leave my parking spot while the child part of me is angry that raleigh will get a bigger snow than baltimore this year.

Couple things:
https://www.facebook.com/WxSouth -- worth a read

****The Storm is Getting Serious and borderline Dangerous ***
I'm updating new snow map forecast. The latest data and trends point to a widespread 6 to 10" snowstorm from parts of Alabama Georgia to Carolinas and Virginia now. The RAP and NAM are both excellent short term tools and are increasing amounts drastically--on top of what was already slated to be a big event. In some areas this will be a devastating snowstorm, with tree falls and roof collapses, and power outages.
Ths is no ordinary dry powdery snow. This is extremely WET , heavy snow. The problems will come from too much falling too fast---simple as that. The trees won't be able to slough off the snow in time, when it's falling at up to 2" per hour (in some areas). That's why I'm extremely concerned especially north side of Birmingham and Atlanta to all of Upstate South Carolina, through interior NC and southeast Quadrant of Virginia, where now Richmond is in line for bigger totals than thought. A 6" storm is manageable, but when 8" or more of this Cement falls in a very short time like this one will, then power issues arise FAST. And there could be over a FOOT in parts of the Carolinas and possibly part of GA, AR, VA as well.
You might want to get all your shopping/errands/preps done now if you're in these regions

Goodbye cruel world

Visiting that weather forum reaffirms that the same cast of characters post on every message board. There are the optimists, the pessimists, just some guy trolling about how its going to just rain. Also all of the people that post there better be retired or teachers because who the fuck wants a ton of snow. Its kind of funny at first where everyone scrambles to the stores but then it actually hits and nobody can drive, people die, etc...

As a former teacher in the WSFC school system I can understand the public's frustration with the closings and delays. However, the school system is at the mercy of not only mother nature, but also the terrain and size of Forsyth county. Monday's "surprise" snowfall brought about 2 1/2 inches to some sections of the county and a trace to others. The excessive # of wrecks that morning show that road and driving conditions can change suddenly and w/out warning. When you add teen drivers and school buses to the mix - things will get worse not better.

Several of my friends are still principals w/the system, and they say they get a ton of complaints from parents when the buses arrive more than 5 minutes late to a stop. And that's on sunny days.... Imagine the complaints if kids are standing at a stop for an hour. I have my CDL as a coach, but would hate to be a daily driver. These routes are long and difficult in normal situations. Try driving a 10 ton vehicle on dangerous (hilly, winding, narrow) roads with 30+ young lives in your hands and you may view snow days differently.

I like the suggestions of opening churches to "house" kids while waiting on for buses and not making the bus drivers going down roads that are never plowed.

NWS 11am update for the Triangle:

Low Confidence forecast: South of Hwy 64 – will likely be wintry mix, but this line is still in flux and may shift North or South
Moderate Confidence forecast: North of Hwy 64 – 6 to 8 inches snow. Very little expectation of ice
High Confidence forecast: North of Hwy 64 – 2 to 4 inches snow.

****The Storm is Getting Serious and borderline Dangerous ***
I'm updating new snow map forecast. The latest data and trends point to a widespread 6 to 10" snowstorm from parts of Alabama Georgia to Carolinas and Virginia now. The RAP and NAM are both excellent short term tools and are increasing amounts drastically--on top of what was already slated to be a big event. In some areas this will be a devastating snowstorm, with tree falls and roof collapses, and power outages.
Ths is no ordinary dry powdery snow. This is extremely WET , heavy snow. The problems will come from too much falling too fast---simple as that. The trees won't be able to slough off the snow in time, when it's falling at up to 2" per hour (in some areas). That's why I'm extremely concerned especially north side of Birmingham and Atlanta to all of Upstate South Carolina, through interior NC and southeast Quadrant of Virginia, where now Richmond is in line for bigger totals than thought. A 6" storm is manageable, but when 8" or more of this Cement falls in a very short time like this one will, then power issues arise FAST. And there could be over a FOOT in parts of the Carolinas and possibly part of GA, AR, VA as well.
You might want to get all your shopping/errands/preps done now if you're in these regions

Goodbye cruel world

:willynilly:
:willynilly:

planning on going to the Wake game tonight, hope I don't die.

Back