• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

There's a sizable gap between models and what the NWS puts out on a regular basis. My guess is most people's interaction with weather forecasts are the latter not the former. Obviously weather is not always easy to predict. That being said there is relatively strong model consensus here although as I pointed out above, there is slightly less now with the Euro's southern deviation.

I'm the first to rip on meteorology for being a job where you can be wrong and not get fired, but I think everyone (mostly) understands that weather is not something that can be 100% predicted. Again though most people probably are confusing the NWS' reports of what the temperature and precipitation percent is for the next 24 hours and long-range modeling. The NWS uses modeling but is also very very conservative to prevent people from buying everything from Harris Teeter on Tuesday morning in NC. On the flip side though, it's generally too cautious and in cases like this front which is almost without a doubt going to drop an amount of snow that NC is not prepared for (aka more than 2-3") I would be surprised if the NWS isn't jumping on board and forecasting some pretty substantial precipitation in line with what models are showing.

And I'll go ahead and say that most people's weather knowledge from my experience seems to be more in line with whoever it was that posted last year "it's sunny here today I don't believe that we'll get 9" of snow tomorrow" when there was a storm taking up 1/3 to 1/2 of the entire nation and there was a 0% chance it missed NC than in understanding any sort of models. /endrant

Hedge_at_Scrace's_Farm_-_geograph.org.uk_-_916028.jpg

Don't really see the hedge there. I was pointing out that the weather is yet another area people like to pretend is just guessing and voodoo #advancedmetrics when in reality there are pretty solid models out there if you know how to read/interpret/understand the inputs and outputs. I'm guessing there's a pretty solid correlation between people who think KenPom sucks and that meteorologists are just out there throwing darts at a weather board though. Not that I'd expect someone living in Atlanta to understand that though.

Sometimes I think it'd be fun to just put your head in the sand and be wilfully ignorant though. Seems to be the method chosen by large swaths of the American populous these days.

Everyone better go get their bread and milk ! Except those of you who don't think it's gonna snow - you guys don't prepare and let ' s see what happens !

And I'll go ahead and say that most people's weather knowledge from my experience seems to be more in line with whoever it was that posted last year "it's sunny here today I don't believe that we'll get 9" of snow tomorrow" when there was a storm taking up 1/3 to 1/2 of the entire nation and there was a 0% chance it missed NC than in understanding any sort of models. /endrant

I claim this and stand by it damn it! This thread had me thinkin' about that.

What's the thoughts for Charlotte this weekend? Obviously Sunday appears safe but what about Friday/Saturday travel

Back