• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snowden publicly offers to sell/trade Brazil secrets for asylum

People on this board can accept RJ's and the slant of certain media outlets on this or they can read the actual letter Snowden wrote here:
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/world/2013/12/1386296-an-open-letter-to-the-people-of-brazil.shtml
To quote from it: "I have expressed my willingness to assist wherever appropriate and lawful"
He doesn't flat out ask for asylum, though it's strongly implied he'd like to get it, and he certainly never asks for any $, as the misleading title of this thread implies. Anyway, I'd imagine he's pretty nervous. His asylum in Russia is currently only good for a year so he needs to find another country that will take him. If Obama would do the right thing and pardon Snowden for exposing his unconstitutional spying on Americans, there would be no need for Snowden to do this. :p

Last edited:
People on this board can accept RJ's and the slant of certain media outlets on this or they can read the actual letter Snowden wrote here:
http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/internacional/en/world/2013/12/1386296-an-open-letter-to-the-people-of-brazil.shtml
To quote from it: "I have expressed my willingness to assist wherever appropriate and lawful"
He doesn't flat out ask for asylum, though it's strongly implied he'd like to get it, and he certainly never asks for any $, as the misleading title of this thread implies. Anyway, I'd imagine he's pretty nervous. His asylum in Russia is currently only good for a year so he needs to find another country that will take him. If Obama would do the right thing and pardon him for exposing his unconstitutional spying programs, there would be no need for Snowden to do this. :p

Snowden and this tragic hero/martyr sacrificing himself for the greater good/saving America from itself meme is increasingly becomiing incorrect.

Snowden and this tragic hero/martyr sacrificing himself for the greater good/saving America from itself meme is increasingly becomiing incorrect.

How so? He could have walked into any number of embassies, sold the information he had, and be a very rich man right now. Instead he gave up a comfortable life and has the US government on his ass every second of the day trying to put him away for life. The Snowden as a super villain meme is what is looking increasingly incorrect.

Last edited:
I wonder how certain people would react to Snowden's actions if GWB was still president

If you believe Snowden has given nothing the former KGB Director who had a dissident journalist murdered by the use of radioactive isotopes and has all but ended freedom of the press in Russia, I'll be happy to have some leprechauns deliver your live unicorn Christmas present.

If you believe Snowden has given nothing the former KGB Director who had a dissident journalist murdered by the use of radioactive isotopes and has all but ended freedom of the press in Russia, I'll be happy to have some leprechauns deliver your live unicorn Christmas present.

Pretty disgusting that you blatantly make up "truths" about a man just because he exposed the actions of your favorite Admin.

Snowden's actions are certainly more brave than anything you've done in your life.

This is why I get so frustrated with you RJ. You've continually made this baseless accusation and I've had to continually respond with why it's highly unlikely. It gets tiresome.

I think it's been amply demonstrated in the past that RJ doesn't always read the articles he posts.

"To quote from it: "I have expressed my willingness to assist wherever appropriate and lawful" "

There's nothing "lawful" that he can "share" with anyone. Any knowledge he gained or documents he possesses are illegal to be shared. By definition, it is impossible for him to share anything with anyone that is either "appropriate" or "lawful".

Yes, I did read it. His statement is BS and has no value.

Secondly, it was clear to the Brazilian government that he wanted to trade information for asylum as they immediately said know.

This is why I get so frustrated with you RJ. You've continually made this baseless accusation and I've had to continually respond with why it's highly unlikely. It gets tiresome.

It's about logic. He may not even know what information he gave out. answering any question can give information they didn't have. He's a rookie's rookie and they have nearly a century of experience.

Other than Snowden (who may not understand) or the Russians, no one knows for sure. What I'm saying is it is astonishingly and incredibly unlikely, the Russians haven't gained anything from him.

Barton Gellman at the Washington Post was one of three journalists Snowden gave the documents to. In a recent interview with the NPR show Fresh Air he explained why he feels it's unlikely Snowden is cooperating with the Russians, a charge you continue to make without a shred of evidence. According to Gellman:
Writing an editorial about the risk that Snowden... or that implies that Snowden is about to or may already have handed over all of his information to Wikileaks or to the Russians is entirely without evidence. It is pure speculation. There is strong evidence, now three months after his first disclosures, and more than three months after he started giving information to journalists, that he does not intend to make the whole pile public. He could have done it on the first day. He could have done it months before I ever heard of him.
As far as the speculation that the Chinese or Russian governments have obtained access to this information -- that they have the whole pile, so that this alleged judiciousness by the journalists is pointless -- that is not only speculative, I think I have very strong evidence that it is not the case. I know how Snowden operates. I've disclosed some of it. I have not disclosed all of it -- just because he has unmasked himself doesn't mean that there are no confidences left in the relationship.

He is exceptionally skilled at digital self-defense. In fact, one of his jobs, while he was at the NSA, and while he was employed by the CIA, was to teach courses to US national security officials about how to operate in a high-threat digital environment even on untrusted hardware -- essentially how you do secret business overseas without being surveilled by the other side.

I believe that he has rendered himself incapable of opening the archive while in Russia. That is to say, it's not only that he doesn't have the key anymore. It's that there's nothing for the key to open any more. It's that he has rendered the encrypted information literally impossible to open with what he has in his possession. He has told a former Senator in a letter that even under torture he couldn't give the information to the Russians. And that's not a boast about his alleged ability to withstand torture. That is a statement of fact about his capabilities. He simply can't open it. And that means that the Russians can't get it.
And keep in mind what Snowden told Gellman and the other two journalists when he gave them the documents:
[Snowden] gave these documents, ultimately, to only three journalists. What he said he wanted was for us to use our own judgment and to make sure that his bias was kept out of it so that we could make our own judgment about what was newsworthy and important for the public to know. And he said we should also consider how to avoid harm.

"Now, in case anyone doubts his intentions, let's consider what he could've done. If Chelsea [aka Bradley] Manning was able to exfiltrate and send to WikiLeaks and publish in whole half a million U.S. government documents, Edward Snowden — who is far, far more capable [and] had far greater access, certainly knows how to transmit documents — he could've sent them to WikiLeaks. He could've set up and mirrored around the Internet in a way that could not have been taken down. All of the documents could be public right now and they're not. ... He told us not to do it."

The latter part of that quote is important because it refutes another outlandish claim you've repeatedly made- that Snowden is some kind of pawn of Julian Assange.

Barton Gellman at the Washington Post was one of three journalists Snowden gave the documents to. In a recent interview with the NPR show Fresh Air he explained why he feels it's unlikely Snowden is cooperating with the Russians, a charge you continue to make without a shred of evidence. According to Gellman:

And keep in mind what Snowden told Gellman and the other two journalists when he gave them the documents:

The latter part of that quote is important because it refutes another outlandish claim you've repeatedly made- that Snowden is some kind of pawn of Julian Assange.

It's not about the whole pile or even a portion of the pile. A skilled interrogator can get information from the way Snowden answers a question or his body language.

He doesn't have to give specific encrypted files to assist the Russians, Chinese or others that interview him.

Even amateurs can get data from a subject without the subject realizing it. Think of what career KGB or Chinese intelligence officers can get.

Even amateurs can get data from a subject without the subject realizing it. Think of what career KGB or Chinese intelligence officers can get.

If this is a legitimate concern, then Obama needs to pardon him and let him come back to the US. :thumbsup:

They can't give him a pardon. They can give him 5-10 years instead of life. If he's a man he'd take it. When he gets out, he'll be able to make a lot of money.

I wonder how certain people would react to Snowden's actions if GWB was still president

I'll say that I'm an Obama supporter and I'm not sure how I feel about him. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, but I'm not sure everything he's released is appropriate. Also, he went to Putin.

Willingness to trade secrets doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited:
Back