• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snowden publicly offers to sell/trade Brazil secrets for asylum

I hadn't thought about that. He could have taken five minor files and had enough to bluff.

As usual, you don't want to understand the logic in the analogies. It would get in your way of Obama is the anti-Christ.

Had Snowden taken a few files, he could have easily started the same discussion. He went way too far. He has offered at least one foreign government information to be traded for asylum. No information he could share with them isn't a crime to do.

No one is monitoring phone calls or emails. Monitoring means listening to taking down the content. That is not being done.

And yet, they are monitoring phone calls and emails. Oh well.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-5...-flap-extends-to-contents-of-u.s-phone-calls/

I don't think you have to wonder. You know.

Let's not act like only one person views this differently because a Dem is in office. It's pretty easy for Republican hacks to get up at arms about the continuation of Republican programs under a Democrat. Doubt we'd see that rancor if Bush was in office.

Let's not act like only one person views this differently because a Dem is in office. It's pretty easy for Republican hacks to get up at arms about the continuation of Republican programs under a Democrat. Doubt we'd see that rancor if Bush was in office.

Agreed. And there are also plenty of folks on either side of the aisle here who have the capacity to recognize that these programs as a threat to basic liberties.

I think it is well established these practices have been in place for a long time and that they have been expanded under the Obama administration. And I'm not sure it would have been any different under a different President. Either way it sucks.

You said nothing about it during W's term. Nor did you say anything about W's warrantless wiretaps that clearly break the law.

I think it is well established these practices have been in place for a long time and that they have been expanded under the Obama administration. And I'm not sure it would have been any different under a different President. Either way it sucks.

The question is will Obama reverse the growth in these programs and what will the next president do. Whatever the candidates say, few will believe them.

Agreed. The fact this operated in secrecy for so long. And the fact once in the light of day the current administration has repeatedly fudged the extent of the program means we face a very long path towards re-earning the public's trust.

You'd be branded unpatriotic if you dared question these policies under the Bush admin.

a good litmus test for snowden: how familiar is he w/the magna carta? has he ever mentioned it? does he understand absolute vs. constitutional monarchy? so many questions from someone who is admittedly ignorant (me) of the specifics. looking at snowdens past should tell us his ultimate aims.

i mentioned this b4 but snowden is either a treasonous traitor who historically would be publicly executed or someone with character and understanding beyond measure.

he took two (possibly conflicting) oaths. one to protect the constitution every time he said the pledge of allegiance in grade school, and one to (i guess) the NSA. one trumps the other because one of those oaths is timeless, the other under public duress and for a job that would put food on the table.

either way, if the courts continue to strike down the activities of the fed govt. which he has exposed, that strongly suggests that, regardless of his motives, he did what was right for humanity.

He was a private contractor tasked to do a job he believed made him a traitor to the American people.

a good litmus test for snowden: how familiar is he w/the magna carta? has he ever mentioned it? does he understand absolute vs. constitutional monarchy? so many questions from someone who is admittedly ignorant (me) of the specifics. looking at snowdens past should tell us his ultimate aims.

i mentioned this b4 but snowden is either a treasonous traitor who historically would be publicly executed or someone with character and understanding beyond measure.

he took two (possibly conflicting) oaths. one to protect the constitution every time he said the pledge of allegiance in grade school, and one to (i guess) the NSA. one trumps the other because one of those oaths is timeless, the other under public duress and for a job that would put food on the table.

either way, if the courts continue to strike down the activities of the fed govt. which he has exposed, that strongly suggests that, regardless of his motives, he did what was right for humanity.

This guy got his GED, flunked out of community college, couldn't make a year in the Army, and never held a job more than 2-3 weeks prior to his CIA contracting position. People can try to portray this guy in whatever light they want, but there is absolutely no way he ever gets in this position unless his mommy and daddy pull the strings that they did to make it happen. Is he fairly IT proficient? Yeah, but so are a ton of other well qualified individuals that don't have a shaky background such as his. Personally, I put the blame on the corrupt good ol' boys hiring process in the GS system, where this tendency to hire family members should not still be going on.

This guy got his GED, flunked out of community college, couldn't make a year in the Army, and never held a job more than 2-3 weeks prior to his CIA contracting position. People can try to portray this guy in whatever light they want, but there is absolutely no way he ever gets in this position unless his mommy and daddy pull the strings that they did to make it happen. Is he fairly IT proficient? Yeah, but so are a ton of other well qualified individuals that don't have a shaky background such as his. Personally, I put the blame on the corrupt good ol' boys hiring process in the GS system, where this tendency to hire family members should not still be going on.

Had not heard this. Thanks vet.

Perhaps a bit of irony. A corrupt system is uncovered by its own corruption.

He hacked into the NSA computer to steal the questions and answers to get a permanent job there. Those who portray him a a "genius" don't know much about him.

He hacked into the NSA computer to steal the questions and answers to get a permanent job there. Those who portray him a a "genius" don't know much about him.

If he wasn't a genius than the NSA has bigger problems than Edward Snowden. If this community college flunkie was able to walk away with this much damaging information without any discernible skills imagine what the best of the best from other countries are capable of getting their hands on.

i mean, it's probably not that hard to hack SharePoint when you have access to all of it by design (as an administrator)

Last edited:
Back