• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So Far in the ACC

80deacon

Reaction score
NC State has a team! Quick guards who can handle, juke, and hit the 3. Have 3 good 3 point shooters with others who can hit. Good defenders. A transfer center who looks to be close to 300lbs and can move and score inside.

Clemson looking like a contender.

Miami good but I haven't watched them play. UNC will be good by tourney time. UVa good. Pitt good. VT good.

FSU down. Syracuse down. Duke down. Louisville way down. ND down a little. GT and BC better but not challengers.

I think we end up somewhere around 12-9 and go dancing.

If we go 12-9 we will almost assuredly not be in the tournament.

NC State has a team! Quick guards who can handle, juke, and hit the 3. Have 3 good 3 point shooters with others who can hit. Good defenders. A transfer center who looks to be close to 300lbs and can move and score inside.

Clemson looking like a contender.

Miami good but I haven't watched them play. UNC will be good by tourney time. UVa good. Pitt good. VT good.

FSU down. Syracuse down. Duke down. Louisville way down. ND down a little. GT and BC better but not challengers.

I think we end up somewhere around 12-9 and go dancing.

I like the team analysis.

Winning will cure all ills. ;)

Our ride last year was epic and earned Forbes COY....Keats a likely winner this year....

Our ride last year was epic and earned Forbes COY....Keats a likely winner this year....

COY talk is a bit premature 5-6 games into a 20-game schedule

Keats has lost games to Brownell and Capel so far this year, and both would be better COY picks right now.

Good point...but State has risen more than Clemson. (They were good last year...)

State may have a team... but we still have Kevin Keatts. I predict we're hosting NIT games in March.

It's not so much about an over/under on 20 wins, but who you beat (and lose to) along the way.

And how good the conference is.

Conference strength is particularly important with 20 conference games. Winning the challenge with the B1G helps. FSU losing to a bunch of 200+ teams does not.

Conference strength is particularly important with 20 conference games. Winning the challenge with the B1G helps. FSU losing to a bunch of 200+ teams does not.
And if it was just FSU, it would be fine. But it was also Louisville, BC, and Syracuse too.

So the ACC is a distant 6th in overall conference strength yet again, though it wouldn’t shock me to see them 4th/5th with 6 or so bids.

And if it was just FSU, it would be fine. But it was also Louisville, BC, and Syracuse too.

So the ACC is a distant 6th in overall conference strength yet again, though it wouldn’t shock me to see them 4th/5th with 6 or so bids.

Yes. Multiple ACC teams had poor OOC performances.

FSU was on my mind because we play them this week. Part of their issues was the Euro who was suspended until this week. Also injured players. They will best league teams and hurt the overall league perception.

Will make the tournament:
UVA, Duke, UNC, Miami

Will probably make the tournament:
Clemson, Pitt

50/50:
NCSU, Wake, VT

I think the ACC gets 7 teams in after all. My beloved Big East is having a down year and will only get 4 or 5 bids when they normally get 6 of their 11 teams in. The A10 STINKS (that's what happens when you add random schools to your league to try and increase TV revenue) and will be a one bid league. The B10 is entirely mediocre as per usual and hopefully gets only 7 bids themselves. The Mountain West is really strong but the way a lot of their schedules worked out in non-conference I don't see more than 3 teams out of that league - probably San Diego State, New Mexico, and one of Utah State or UNLV. There are more bids there for the taking and as long as those middle of the road ACC teams can stay away from upet losses against the bottom of the league, 7 bids is absolutely possible.

The Big East is not down. The conference is better and deeper than the ACC or Pac-12.

G'town is god-awful (like L'ville level) and DePaul is not great, but all of the other 9 teams are easily in the top 100. UCONN, Creighton, Marquette and Xavier are legit final 4 candidates, and Ed Cooley somehow has Providence in first. UCONN trucked a ton of good teams OOC (Bama, Iowa State. Florida, OK State), and they are currently in 4th place in the Big East.

State, Wake, and Virginia Tech are all interesting to keep an eye on. State and VPI are solid on metrics but VPI has a lot of close losses and is off to a bad ACC start while State padded their metrics by beating most of the bad teams they played by a substantial margin. Honestly, the State OOC schedule is the way to go: good mix of lower Q1/Q2 teams and bad matchups.

Wake's metrics aren't as good but road Wisconsin win, head to head win over VT (if they continue to be around the bubble), and a home win over Duke which fair or not will always give you a boost in the committee's eyes have us in position to be in position.

It's key for all these teams not to lose to the bottom tier ACC teams. Not because a loss is THAT bad, but because it just removes one W from that column which the committee still has a keen focus on.

The Big East is not down. The conference is better and deeper than the ACC or Pac-12.

G'town is god-awful (like L'ville level) and DePaul is not great, but all of the other 9 teams are easily in the top 100. UCONN, Creighton, Marquette and Xavier are legit final 4 candidates, and Ed Cooley somehow has Providence in first. UCONN trucked a ton of good teams OOC (Bama, Iowa State. Florida, OK State), and they are currently in 4th place in the Big East.
All very good points and a great post. I grew up a massive Georgetown fan so unfortunately you don't have to tell me how bad they are. Imo the Big East is quite often the best conference in the country and is at worst the 4th best in the P6. When I say down, I more mean in terms of perception and number of bids. Nova and Gtown sucking is like the ACC when UNC and Duke suck, it effects perception even if it shouldn't. I think UCONN is going to win the national championship and Xavier is elite 8 good, but when you look past the top 5 teams there's not a whole lot that makes me think a sixth or seventh team can eek out a tourney bid like most years.

DePaul, Georgetown, and Butler flat out suck. Seton Hall is the definition of an NIT team despite a road win at Rutgers, and Nova borderline sucks despite beating some decent teams like Oklahoma. The only team I could see making a push to make the tournament outside the top 5 group would be if St. John's grabs 3 Q1 Ws and finishes hot now that Curbelo is back healthy, but I just don't think they're very good (12-6 but 2-5in conf. with 0 Q1 or Q2 Ws).

Creighton is an intriguing team in that they're 9-7 but seem to be pretty good overall. I think with their SOS they will be able to get into the tournament around the 19 win mark, but they have very little room for error right now after that 6 game losing streak

Back