• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, Wellman isn't poor.

Reaction score
Just saw this shared from a professor friend through fb. Hopefully not Haas (did a quick boards search at least).

http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=35126

The whole article is damning but I thought the ogboards would especially appreciate this snippet:
"Ron Wellman, director of athletics, saw his total compensation jump from $695,000 to $2.44 million between 2009 and 2011."

That's a lot of bones for overseeing the basketball hire, among other things.

And we complain about how much Bz and Grobe are making?

Athletics pull from a different kitty than faculty salaries. Or at least they should. Athletic spending should have minimal effect on faculty salaries. One would have expected a professor to understand the difference between correlation and causation. Even if Wake does redistribute some "academic" dollars to the athletic program, this likely less the case now than ever.

Wellman is grossly overpaid though (although I don't think the $2M+ is "regular" compensation), and his salary does turn the LOWF nonsense on its head.

i hate the font on that article with a fiery passion. it stupidly makes me as angry as wellman's salary.

so i see that the other guys got nice bumps but why in the world would wellman get such a raise?!

All this for one of the worst major conference athletic programs.

Where are the admin-lackies who were feeding us the party line about improving faculty salaries in response to soaring tuition?

Tough when your bullshit gets called out by facts.

So this is why schools keep saying they cannot afford to give student athletes any money.

So this is why schools keep saying they cannot afford to give student athletes any money.

Exactly.

Wellman's bump alone would pay for 300 faculty to get a near $6,000 raise.

Last edited:
I'm blown away by that $2.44MM #.

All things considered, that's just absolutely inexcusable if true.

That is most likely some sort of deferred comp that came due in 1 year. He isn't making that every year.

Too bad he doesn't know the difference between real money and Monopoly money since the bike accident. #headtrauma

So...about one million dollars per relevant basketball victory, then?

I'm more upset that normal faculty salaries are lagging. That shit's a bigger deal than most realize, IMO.

...and somewhat ironically, actually necessary to maintaining the school's historical academic competitiveness!

Back