• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

So, Wellman isn't poor.

If all you've done is attend a college, you really don't know the ins and outs of being a professor.

So using the same rationale... if all you've done is attend a college (and never coached or played an intercollegiate varsity sport), you really don't know the ins and outs of being a coach or a student athlete.

Correct?

So using the same rationale... if all you've done is attend a college (and never coached or played an intercollegiate varsity sport), you really don't know the ins and outs of being a coach or a student athlete.

Correct?

If you attend a college, you know who is a good teacher and who isn't. You just don't know all the other stuff they get paid to do that are considered as important or more important.

With a coach, you see the sole important product of their efforts. Wins and losses. There's no singular equivalent for a professor.

Correct?

Little easier way to measure performance for a coach versus a professor, right fucknut?

Since this thread has already been derailed...

I do often wonder just how important the research part of a professor's schedule is, and why (for the most part) students are forced to fund it. I'm sure it's different in most fields, but from the outside it just appears like a lot of wasted time and money. Especially in the social sciences. Which is the view point that PH is addressing, however you have to think that most college professors probably overvalue their research's importance to society. And that a lot of resources, which result in ridiculous tuition prices, go to that overvalued use of time.

you have to think that most college professors probably overvalue their research's importance to society. And that a lot of resources, which result in ridiculous tuition prices, go to that overvalued use of time.

This is a really stupid statement, man.

And, last I checked, social scientific research adds a hell of a lot more to society than collegiate sports do. Also, last I checked, an awful lot of social scientific research is funded by state and federal grants, rather than by tuition dollars.

I think that states subsidize more construction and infrastructural development on behalf of collegiate sports than they do for social scientific research, as well.

Well students pay to have professors who are knowledgeable about what they teach. In general, the best classroom experiences are from professors who teach about what they actually do and can draw from their own professional experiences.

There's a market for research just like for anything else. If research wasn't useful, it wouldn't get published, it wouldn't get cited, and nobody would buy the journals which would reduce the market for research. Does one person's research change the world? Probably not. But neither does somebody's average 9 to 5.

Last edited:
This is a really stupid statement, man.

And, last I checked, social scientific research adds a hell of a lot more to society than collegiate sports do. Also, last I checked, an awful lot of social scientific research is funded by state and federal grants, rather than by tuition dollars.

I think that states subsidize more construction and infrastructural development on behalf of collegiate sports than they do for social scientific research, as well.

I'm aware that some of the funding comes from outside organizations, which is why I said some. And yes some of it is beneficial, but a lot of it is just to raise the prestige of the people working in that department. Or so that someone can write a book. Once again I'm not knocking people's career decisions to go that route, because it does take years and years of work to get there, but it does seem at the very least to be an inefficient use of a university's resources.

Also way to get super butthurt when it was obvious that I was just starting a conversation and I went out of my way to not insult anyone. Also great job of quoting only part of my post, even starting mid-sentence.

Now go fuck yourself you fucking spazoid anti-social nerd (if we're gonna play this way)

"Also way to get super butthurt when it was obvious that I was just starting a conversation and I went out of my way to not insult anyone."

You did manage to insult social science professors by saying what we do is worthless. Thankfully, I've read some studies that show people are insulted when you call their work worthless.

But I'm curious. How would you like to see university's use their resources? I definitely don't think universities are efficient, so I'm curious what you think.

It's just obnoxious to knock academics and professors when a school's AD and his two top head coaches rake in almost $6 million dollars a year for below average job performance.

I get it that we're on a sports board, but there are much more inefficient uses of university resources (i.e. athletics, administrative salaries, etc.) than academic research and professorial salaries.

Think about this: full professors at Cal Tech make, on average, $179k while Wellman makes over 3x that much and Jim Grobe pulls in a comfy $2+ mil.

I don't have that much of a problem with athletics salaries because I subscribe to the "nobody watches ESPN to see the Physics department" logic. But I have a problem with what Wake is doing because nobody has seen the Physics department fail as miserably as our athletics programs either.

No argument here about Wake's AD & two coaches making $6M. Those clowns deserve to make food stamps at best.

That being said if the AD actually turns a profit (which is disputed I believe) and generally succeeds on the field/court, I guess they can get away with it.

With the new TV deal, our athletic department could turn a profit with coaches that get paid as much as a Women's Studies professor and without winning a single game.

If financial stability is the standard, it's covered.

Back