• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sochi Olympics Thread

So what the hell happened?

we lost 5-0

at least I assume that was the final score....I turned it off with 6-8 min left

Patrick Kane got two penalty shots because the Finns are cheaters, but couldn't convert on either, though he's usually good at penalty shots. Finland scored two quick goals to start the second. The US kind of mailed it in after that.

Teemu Selanne, 43 year old legend playing in his last NHL season and his last Olympics, scored two goals.

Not a surprising result after yesterdays game. Probably would have seen the same result from Canada if USA won yesterday.

This may have already been talked about in this thread, but it seems like there have been a number of odd "nationality" moves in this Olympics. There was this American born dude who won gold for Russia in parallel slalom and I believe a former Korean short track speed skating star also suited up for Russia somehow. Then there was that rich dude from Staten Island who basically donated a bunch of money to Dominica (had no nationality affiliation with) and seemingly bought a spot in Sochi in cross-country skiing. Seemed like there were one or two other ones that seemed shady.

Reading up on Viktor Ahn, I wouldn't really be surprised if he patched things up and rejoined South Korea before they host in 2018.

Just a hunch.

Sweden had already lost their top two centers to injury. Their top remaining center, Backstrom, was kept out of the gold medal game for failing a drug test due to his allergy medication.

[URL="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/nicklas-backstrom-misses-gold-medal-game-over-use-of-banned-substance--source-135620293.html]Nicklas Backstrom misses gold medal game over use of banned substance: Source[/URL]

Anyway, this one looks over. Stupid Canada with their hundreds of stupidly good hockey players.

Sweden just looks bad. So many bad turnovers. Lundquist is getting no help and they haven't sniffed any offense since the first period. Pretty methodical blowout....

That was a long linger by the camera on sad Henrik Lundqvist. :(

Phil Kessel named the top forward in the tournament.

CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 43m
Swedish official says hockey player Nicklas Backstrom tested positive for substance found in allergy medication he has taken for 7 years.

Are different substances banned internationally than in the NHL? Either he got screwed or there's more going on here.

It wouldn't be the Olympics without controversy!

Back