• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sochi Olympics Thread

WakeGal

Reaction score
It's time for the Olympics thread. Trials have begun!

High Point native, Heather Richardson, has qualified and will be racing in the 500m, 1000m, and 1500m speed skating races in Sochi.

So over the Vonn saga. No way she can ski with any success in Sochi, right? Is skiing like other Oly sports where an alternate could compete if she stepped aside?

Who know the triad is a hot bed for speed skating?

Is Ohno still skating or just a Subway spokesman? I really want him to take out some Koreans.

Saw the men's curling qualifier a few weeks ago. We got in with a win over Czech Republic. The captain is the same I think the others are new.

I think he retired early 2013. I read that he'll work for NBC during the Olympics somewhere.

Who know the triad is a hot bed for speed skating?

Is Ohno still skating or just a Subway spokesman? I really want him to take out some Koreans.

I didn't. There a guy from Greensboro trying to qualify as well.

Oh no, Ohno isn't skating this year!

Saw the men's curling qualifier a few weeks ago. We got in with a win over Czech Republic. The captain is the same I think the others are new.

Fucking Schuster

Fucking Schuster

He sucked when I saw them too. He shot for thr first 5 frames and they were down. Another dude came in and got something sick like 7 points to blow the match open.

He sucked when I saw them too. He shot for thr first 5 frames and they were down. Another dude came in and got something sick like 7 points to blow the match open.

Lolz, you don't watch a lot of curling do you Ph?

Shuster throws final two stones each end. So he did throw the final 2 stones in the big 8th end where we scored five (as well as the other nine ends). I would agree with you that the CZE match Shuster didn't play well though.

One of Shuster's teammates (Ike) was on the team in Vancouver, 2 are new. The lead/second are new and have been fantastic at trials and the OLY Qualies in Germany.

I watch it every four years like any good American.

Good to know we got a legit curling expert on the boards though. You'll have to be our local color analyst for the matches.

I watch it every four years like any good American.

Good to know we got a legit curling expert on the boards though. You'll have to be our local color analyst for the matches.

My sister got me curling coffee mugs for Christmas. I'll be all ready for Sochi.

Some big losses in the curling world from last Olympics.

The Dupont sisters did not make the Danish curling team, which is a damn shame. They can not be replaced.

Liudmila Privivkova did not make the Russian team, fortunately the rest of the team's assets should cover that loss.

I'll try and copy some of my more informing posts over here, but I won't be perfect.

Starts off exactly one month from today!

February 6th: Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Snowboarding
February 7th: Opening Ceremonies (no competitions)
February 23rd: Closing Ceremonies

-----
February 6th Events:
Team Event Pair Short
Team Event Men's Short
Women's Moguls Qualifications
Men's and Women's Slopestyle Qualification

You may be seeing the above event list and asking "what the hell are team figure skating events?" I was wondering the same thing...it's new this year, taking place over the first three days of competition. Basically, each team chooses six skaters - one man, one woman, one pair, and one ice dancing pair - and they will compete in eight events, with the scores combined and medals awarded accordingly. Think of it as kind of the ice skating version of the team event in gymnastics. Skaters may perform in both the team and individual events if they'd like, or just skate in the team event like Great Britain's Matthew Parr.

Schedule:

February 6th
Team event pair short
Team event mens short

February 8th
Team event ice dance short
Team event ladies short
Team event pair free

February 9th
Team event mens free
Team event ice dance free
Team event ladies free

On Morning Joe they had Bob Costas talking about security. I had no idea where Sochi was on a map. Looks like a real stable reason.

Costas joked that the IOC may want to look into Syria for future games.

The eleven other new events (12 total):

-Women's Ski Jumping
-Mixed Relay Biathlon: Teams are composed of two women and two men. Legs 1 and 2 are done by the women, legs 3 and 4 by the men. The women's legs are 6 km and men's legs are 7.5 km as in ordinary relay competitions.
-Ski Half Pipe (men's and women's)
-Team Relay Luge: One man, one woman and a doubles pair form a team. A touchpad at the bottom of the run is touched by a competitor signaling a teammate at the top of the run to start.
-Ski Slopestyle (men's and women's)
-Snowboard Slopestyle (men's and women's)
-Snowboard parallel slalom (men's and women's) - The larger cousin, snowboard parallel giant slalom has appeared in the past, but this will be the first time the tighter course will be featured in the Olympics

I don’t know if it got much press outside of hockey fans, but USA Hockey caused a bit of a stir last week when they announced the US Olympic team. They allowed two reporters to be present for all of the meetings and the calls among the parties building the team. Apparently they didn’t really think through the repercussions of having some of the best hockey players in the country read GMs’ criticisms of them, including one GM who said of a player he drafted that he wished he had drafted someone else.

How the U.S. hockey team was named

The hurt feelings caused the most outcry, and the GM in charge of the team quickly tried to backpedal and apologize to the players that they may have to call if they need an injury replacement (or if they want to sign them as free agents down the road). But the bigger concern to fans, I think, is that we got insight into the potential over-thinking that caused them to exclude three of the better offensive threats among American players for reasons such as “he skates sleepy” and “I always assume a disaster is going to happen.”

whoa that's way longer than I expected, I'll save that for a rainy day

Back