• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sochi Olympics Thread

Vonn is going to miss the Olympics.

That's the front page news on every newspaper here today. She's very popular in Austria, and with skiing being the #1 sport in this country it's basically a big time blow to their enjoyment of the Olympics (sort of like if Usain Bolt missed the Summer Games, even though he's not American).

Sochi has palm trees. Think about that. The average temp in Jan-Feb during the day is 50 F. I understand that they'll have snow in the mountains and all, but it's crazy to consider that the Winter Olympics are being held in a "humid subtropical climate."

This is the prelim schedule for the Men's Hockey Team:

Thu, Feb. 13 Slovakia vs. United States 7:30 a.m. NBCSN
Sat, Feb. 15 United States vs. Russia 7:30 a.m. NBCSN
Sun, Feb. 16 Slovenia vs. United States 7:30 a.m. NBCSN

Not sure if I'm willing to get up at 6:30 AM for the prelims, but we'll see.

Bronze Medal Game will be on 2/22/14 at 10am EST
Gold Medal Game is on 2/23/14 at 7am

I'm normally at work by 7:30, so that shouldn't be too too bad depending on what the other events are at those times obviously

I'm pretty stoked about it because I'm living in one of the great winter sports countries of the world (seriously, they give school kids here the day off for the downhill finals) so it'll be an awesome scene the entire time.

As far as the actual games go - there's only one thing that truly matters though. Hockey. It's in Russia, one of the two great hockey nations of the world and a country where that is BY FAR the most important sport. Much like the Vancouver games, if the home team doesn't win in hockey it won't matter what happens the rest of the time. Period.

Oh man, that song is catchy. I wonder how they got Malkin to look less ugly than usual?

Any truth to the story about bringing in the Ugandan leader and US Christian group behind the kill the gays law in Uganda to run security at Sochi?

Current headline on CNN: U.S. to put warships on standby to evacuate Americans in event of Sochi Olympics terror attack, official says.

People say that about any sketchy Olympics. They were saying that about China until 2 seconds into the opening ceremonies.

I remember Atlanta for Muhammad Ali and Janet Evans and Kerri Shrug.

People say that about any sketchy Olympics. They were saying that about China until 2 seconds into the opening ceremonies.

I remember Atlanta for Muhammad Ali and Janet Evans and Kerri Shrug.

Carl Lewis

It's gonna be 8 degrees in Richmond Virginia tomorrow night. Give us a Winter Olympics.

I've had the Russian puck song in my head for three days now. Someone send help.

Back