• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sochi Olympics Thread

On Morning Joe they had Bob Costas talking about security. I had no idea where Sochi was on a map. Looks like a real stable reason.

Costas joked that the IOC may want to look into Syria for future games.

CNN had a former government security analyst on last week. (I wish I could remember her name). In the past she has gone in and reviewed security issues to insure the safety if Americans, especially the president. She said this is the only Olympics that she doesn't feel comfortable with security. Basically she told viewers not to go.

whoa that's way longer than I expected, I'll save that for a rainy day

At first I thought you meant my post, which was longer than I meant it to be. The article is absurdly long, and the GMs still complained that the quotes were cherry-picked. Here are a few shorter pieces from the aftermath:

USA Hockey apologizes to Bobby Ryan, admits Brian Burke controversy caught it off-guard

Bobby Ryan's Olympic Snub Embarrassing on Many Levels for Team USA (Apologies for linking Bleancher Report, but they've hired a few good hockey people.)

Edit: I love the picture from that first article. "Do we have a picture from the press conference announcing the team where everyone looks completely miserable?"

460056069.jpg

CNN had a former government security analyst on last week. (I wish I could remember her name). In the past she has gone in and reviewed security issues to insure the safety if Americans, especially the president. She said this is the only Olympics that she doesn't feel comfortable with security. Basically she told viewers not to go.

My friend is going. As of five months ago he was going to: Women's curling semis, Long track speed skate, Nordic combined, Freestyle skiing, and Snowboard parallel slalom. He was also thinking about trying for some man's hockey quarterfinal tickets. I haven't asked about an update.

Last edited:
On Morning Joe they had Bob Costas talking about security. I had no idea where Sochi was on a map. Looks like a real stable reason.

I had no idea it was so far south. They could have some serious issues if it is abnormally warm.

I had no idea it was so far south. They could have some serious issues if it is abnormally warm.

The resort with the outdoor events (Biathlon, Cross-country skiing, Freestyle skiing, Snowboarding, Alpine skiing, Ski jumping, Nordic Combined, Bobsleigh, Luge and Skeleton) will be fine.

Winter is sunny and snowy. The air temperature in winter varies: at night from -5 to-12C; day from 0 to +5 C. The snow cover on the slopes of Krasnaya Polyana is formed from the second half of November and lasts until early June.

At first I thought you meant my post, which was longer than I meant it to be. The article is absurdly long, and the GMs still complained that the quotes were cherry-picked. Here are a few shorter pieces from the aftermath:

USA Hockey apologizes to Bobby Ryan, admits Brian Burke controversy caught it off-guard

Bobby Ryan's Olympic Snub Embarrassing on Many Levels for Team USA (Apologies for linking Bleancher Report, but they've hired a few good hockey people.)

Edit: I love the picture from that first article. "Do we have a picture from the press conference announcing the team where everyone looks completely miserable?"

460056069.jpg

Two things: those US sweaters are $$$ and James van Riemsdyk...reppin' Middletown!

Just looked up the map for myself. I forget how large Russia is... didn't really realize it went all the way over there. :couch:

Less than 24 hour drive to Aleppo.

So our men's hockey team is going to suck this February. Awesome.

In other news my boi Evan Lysacek did not make the Olympics because of a torn labrum. So much sadness.

So our men's hockey team is going to suck this February. Awesome.

Not necessarily. They were only in the position to be able to over-think the lineup because there is so much American talent these days, which is a nice problem to have. They have excellent goaltending, the reigning Stanley Cup MVP (who is currently second in scoring in the NHL), and the guy that should have won the award for the best defenseman last year. They sacrificed some scoring to load up on more defensive-minded, risk-averse players. I don’t like the strategy when they’re going up against basically All Star teams, but I’m sure there are others that would defend it.

Less than 24 hour drive to Aleppo.

I'm confused about the context of this comment, so I'll try and cover all the bases.

If it's about the weather, it's less than 20 hrs from Vancouver to Los Angeles, a Summer Olympic site and a Winter Olympic site, and 22 hrs to San Diego. If it's about distance, you can drive across most of Europe (Paris to Kiev) in about the same amount of time. If it's about location, then Lake Placid is at about the same latitude as Sarajevo (1984) - Sapporo, Salt Lake City, Squaw Valley and Nagano were all at lower latitudes. Lake Placid and the Italy/France locations are all in roughly the same range as well.

I'm confused about the context of this comment, so I'll try and cover all the bases.

If it's about the weather, it's less than 20 hrs from Vancouver to Los Angeles, a Summer Olympic site and a Winter Olympic site, and 22 hrs to San Diego. If it's about distance, you can drive across most of Europe (Paris to Kiev) in about the same amount of time. If it's about location, then Lake Placid is at about the same latitude as Sarajevo (1984) - Sapporo, Salt Lake City, Squaw Valley and Nagano were all at lower latitudes. Lake Placid and the Italy/France locations are all in roughly the same range as well.

I think it was about the security

I think it was about the security

lol fuck

I can do that too though!

So I asked my friend about an update, and he said he had to bail. He had a hotel booked out of town, tried to get a hotel in town but it was impossible and in order to get a visa you needed an invitation from a hotel. Just ended up too much of a headache and seemed like a giant clusterfuck. And that's leaving alone the more obvious things like the transportation upgrades and all that.

lol fuck

I can do that too though!

So I asked my friend about an update, and he said he had to bail. He had a hotel booked out of town, tried to get a hotel in town but it was impossible and in order to get a visa you needed an invitation from a hotel. Just ended up too much of a headache and seemed like a giant clusterfuck. And that's leaving alone the more obvious things like the transportation upgrades and all that.

No, you dont.

I'm just passing on what he said. :noidea: He resold his tickets back to the IOC (or whoever does the actual ticket distribution) for face.

NBC did a good job of keeping hope for Vonn alive, but there was never any chance she was competing.

Back