• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Social mobility among Wake alums compared to other institutions

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
[h=1]Some Colleges Have More
Students From the Top 1 Percent
Than the Bottom 60. Find Yours.[/h]https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/18/upshot/some-colleges-have-more-students-from-the-top-1-percent-than-the-bottom-60.html?smid=fb-share

Here is the page for Wake:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/college-mobility/wake-forest-university

The median family income of a student from Wake Forest is $221,500, and 71% come from the top 20 percent. Less than 1% of students at Wake Forest came from a poor family but became a rich adult.
[h=3]Median parent income[/h] For students born in 1991, approximately the class of 2013, in 2015 dollars.

[h=5]9th out of 65 Other elite colleges

[/h]
[h=3]Share of students from top one percent[/h] Families who made about $630,000 or more per year.

[h=5]5th out of 65 Other elite colleges

[/h]
[h=3]Share of students from bottom fifth[/h] Families who made about $20,000 or less per year.

[h=5]53rd out of 65 Other elite colleges

[/h]
[h=3]Chance a poor student has to become a rich adult[/h] The share of children who were from the bottom fifth of incomes as students and moved to the top fifth as adults.

[h=5]48th out of 64 Other elite colleges

[/h]
[h=3]Median student income at age 34[/h] Incomes continue to grow, but the relative ranks remain roughly stable after this age.

[h=5]21st out of 64 Other elite colleges

[/h]

[h=3]Overall mobility index[/h] This measure reflects both access and outcomes, representing the likelihood that a student at Wake Forest moved up two or more income quintiles.

[h=5]52nd out of 64 Other elite colleges

[/h]

[h=3]Married in 2014[/h] For students born between 1980-82, roughly the college class of 2002.

[h=5]6th out of 64 Other elite colleges

[/h]

so... start rich, stay rich, marry young?

wake men make $85k at age 34 yet women make $58k? Ouch. How does that account for stay at home moms? It could be closer to equal in actuality.

wake men make $85k at age 34 yet women make $58k? Ouch. How does that account for stay at home moms? It could be closer to equal in actuality.

I'm doing what I can to drag down that Wake Men stat and even everyone out ;)

Oy.

Median individual income at age 34 $71,500
...for men $85,000
...for women $58,800

Oy.

Median individual income at age 34 $71,500
...for men $85,000
...for women $58,800

Yes, this makes you cringe, but this is meaningless without breaking it down by field. What professions are men and women entering? If a higher number of men are going to work for banks/big 4 firms, etc. and more women are going into social sciences, I would expect the discrepancy.

Right but that still ignores the discussion of why women aren't going into big 4 firms/banks, if in fact that's part of the reason for the wage gap. Is it a structural issue, is it just random distribution, etc.?

What percentage of working years by age 34 do men generally have relative to women at the same age? Another way to ask the question, how many years of work experience (and then as a percentage) do women miss out on by the time they're age 34 due to having children that men don't miss out on?

There's a solid amount of research that, although somewhat counter-intuitive, the gender wage gap can be decreased by more liberal parental (note: not maternal) leave policies across the board.

Right but that still ignores the discussion of why women aren't going into big 4 firms/banks, if in fact that's part of the reason for the wage gap. Is it a structural issue, is it just random distribution, etc.?

What percentage of working years by age 34 do men generally have relative to women at the same age? Another way to ask the question, how many years of work experience (and then as a percentage) do women miss out on by the time they're age 34 due to having children that men don't miss out on.

There's a solid amount of research that, although somewhat counter-intuitive, the gender wage gap can be lessened by more liberal parental (note: not maternal) leave policies across the board.

That's just a completely separate item, and I would assume there are a boatload of factors and influences as to why it might be the case, given all the other measures being tracked here. I'm just saying simply breaking down the average income by gender is dumb.
I would rather see the average income as compared to others in that field (and then perhaps that information broken by gender), whether it's medicine, accounting, social work, government, etc...

Last edited:
It doesn't ignore it, that's just a completely separate item and I would assume there are a boatload of factors and influences as to why it might be the case, given all the other measures being tracked here. I'm just saying simply breaking down the average income by gender is dumb.
I would rather see the average income as compared to others in that field (and then perhaps that information broken by gender), whether it's medicine, accounting, social work, government, etc...

I disagree that breaking it down by average salary across the board is "meaningless." I think there are other ways you could break it down to show that there is specifically a gender gap at play (as you note - and I agree with that), but by using average salary at large you are also able to note trends about which industries pay less and examine potential reasons for why. Women could be going into fields that don't pay as much because they're "expected to." Women could be going into fields that would pay more if men were doing the bulk of the jobs in that profession. Women could be choosing these fields for no reason at all and they pay less because the jobs they choose to participate in are actually less valuable in the economy. We don't really know. I think, again to your point, that another good way to do it would be to break down average salary per year of experience in an industry for men and women which could help eliminate the "home from child birth" factor (or any other factors that would result in women not having as much work experience as their male peers at a comparable age).

Not trying to be argumentative, just disagree that it's meaningless to break down average salary across the board on the basis of gender because I think the profession you choose to enter is largely a product of societal pressures which, in my opinion, have inherent structural biases.

Women don't go into banks out of college because when they struggle at the harder classes at business school they get pissed off they can't get a higher grade by going to meet the professor after hours and saying "but I tried really hard". #callowaytakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back