• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Social mobility among Wake alums compared to other institutions

i think it's much, much more likely that women do want to come back to work and intend to but don't realize what that actually entails and the kid comes first so plans change.

i think it's much, much more likely that women do want to come back to work and intend to but don't realize what that actually entails and the kid comes first so plans change.

Which is understandable, but she can make that decision before the day she is supposed to come back.

2&2 knows, ITC. He knows.

I disagree heartily, some new moms might not be able to make that decision for months.

Well then that is their issue, not mine. They should have to pay back the costs of holding their position while they make up their mind should they choose after months not to return.

i actually understand this issue from both sides now and have worked extremely hard to make our organization be more accommodating to keep our talent rather than simply bend expectations slightly. we've had two pregnancies and both women stayed on board, usually moving to 2-3 days/week and eventually returning to full time at some point.

we already all know this but it's really retrograde to be like "young women are flakes because they just want to get knocked up and leave at the first opportunity"

meh, insurance pays their salary, you eat a little medical costs, and god invented temps for this. Cross train your employees and you should make money when they're knocked up.

meh, insurance pays their salary, you eat a little medical costs, and god invented temps for this. Cross train your employees and you should make money when they're knocked up.

Yeah temps cost about 150% of a regular employee, and there is nothing as unproductive as a temp who knows they are a temp because the person on maternity leave is "coming back". Plus the downtime associated with training the temp. That's where the real cost is, the 4 months of downtime associated with a temp that you got by advertising for a temp, as opposed to a new motivated fulltime worker that you could have hired from the beginning had you known mommy milkjugs wasn't coming back.

Yeah temps cost about 150% of a regular employee, and there is nothing as unproductive as a temp who knows they are a temp because the person on maternity leave is "coming back". Plus the downtime associated with training the temp. That's where the real cost is, the 4 months of downtime associated with a temp that you got by advertising for a temp, as opposed to a new motivated fulltime worker that you could have hired from the beginning had you known mommy milkjugs wasn't coming back.

On the flip side your existing staff is probably also posting on the boards and can cover for jane knockedup and chill without you even paying the temp

every business is different and every job role is different but it just hasn't been a problem for us. maybe we're just lucky. But if you hire good people and set them up to succeed, you generally won't have those types of problems.

Aren't you complaining about secretaries for a law firm?

Just sue some more people. Add to the profits.

I came because of the thread title but stayed for the milk takes.

JFC could we possibly discuss the study instead of 2&2's tired opinion on women in the workplace. He's shitty. It's shitty. It's been covered.

The interesting aspect of this study to me is less related to the gender gap as I'd guess it holds somewhat consistently across universities. Why is wake seemingly worse at advancing the SES of its lower SES students?

Two thoughts:

A much higher percent of low SES students are there for athletics and not to get an education. A poor kid from NC that is a math/science wiz can practically get paid to go to UNC vs free ride but still likely some cost at wake. Loan costs also inhibit post graduate schooling.

Lack of engineering until now means most high earners will come from finance or medicine. Medicine has a huge barrier of entry even once you graduate from wake. Finance also has a large white dude bias (and especially white northeastern dude bias).

every business is different and every job role is different but it just hasn't been a problem for us. maybe we're just lucky. But if you hire good people and set them up to succeed, you generally won't have those types of problems.

Once again I have zero doubt 2&2 has a toxic work environment inspiring zero loyalty.

Back