• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Social mobility among Wake alums compared to other institutions

I kind of wish I had studied Econ earlier, I probably would have majored in it, but I didn't take that particular divisional until it was too late and I already had 3 or 4 poli sci classes under my belt.

I can count the amount of A's I got @ wake on my fingers and perhaps one hand. Shoulda taken a hint that two of them were Econ and Derivatives. I actually failed accounting the first time I took it (or got a D and had to re-take to get into Calloway).

Aside from being lawyers what are you referring to?

And wait, we offer Spanish as a major? For what godly purpose? To be a translator? Supposedly we have a selective admission criteria and yet people choose this?

I assume you don't think English should be a major either.

Aside from being lawyers what are you referring to?

And wait, we offer Spanish as a major? For what godly purpose? To be a translator? Supposedly we have a selective admission criteria and yet people choose this?

our buddy waketheuniverse was a spanish major and now he works at NASA

I assume you don't think English should be a major either.

there was a time when calloway paled in comparison to tribble, you know, when we were a liberal arts school

Wish I had taken more Econ or history but had to waste time in a bunch of general business non value add classes.

for people smart/driven enough to go to schools like WFU, business school is a huge, huge waste of time unless you're planning to do the 5 year Accounting program or something similar.

Last edited:
yeah, i did mathematical business. in hindsight, wish i had done math econ, instead. so many of those business classes are just a huge waste.

for people smart/driven enough to go to schools like WFU, business school is a huge, huge waste of time unless you're planning to do the 5 year Accounting program or something similar.

Eh, bad generalization.

I don't use what I learned as a finance major, but I don't get the job that I got without being in the bschool.

no, i think it's a pretty good generalization. I'm 100% confident you would have landed your job with an Econ degree and come out with better critical thinking skills.

Come on lurker, was OTAB or intro marketing really worth it? buckets, what was that class with that dude Lawless, wasn't it strategy theory or some nebulous nonsense.

no, i think it's a pretty good generalization. I'm 100% confident you would have landed your job with an Econ degree and come out with better critical thinking skills.

Well, given that my job was the result of an introduction from a b-school faculty member, I am 100% confident that I would not have.

A college degree is not just about learning.

right, so the content of the school's curriculum was irrelevant, it just happened to be about networking.

right, so the content of the school's curriculum was irrelevant, it just happened to be about networking.

I wouldn't go that far. The prevalence of group projects and presentations was certainly very useful to my career. And having a business baseline was also valuable versus some of my peers who did not.

My econ classes were far more interesting to me, but it's hard to argue that my decision to go to the b-school was anything other than very, very good.

well, the world needs ditch diggers.

my time at WFU was certainly ill spent

I am not the one making generalizations. For me, b-school worked out very well. For others, not as much.

For students who not want to work in banking, consulting, or accounting then the b-school is probably not a good option. While it may not be the only option for the former two, it is probably the best in terms of actually making it into those fields.

It's also silly to think that you cannot develop critical thinking skills as a business major.

Back