• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Soda Stream

yeah, we used to buy those 6 pack things too. beyond the cost, they're also just wasteful. i mean, we recycle, but making our own water in the same reusable container is way less wasteful.

I have been thinking about getting one of these to make tonic and club soda for cocktail mixers. I know I would have to get some syrup for tonic water, not sure about club soda. Anybody tried this?

Yup. I'm thinking of doing the same. I hate buying mixers because they always go flat and contain crap ingredients (HFCS, preservatives, etc). I've found a few good recipes online for making a homemade syrup to keep in the fridge than can be added to soda water to create your own tonic for mixing. Others suggest just skipping the tonic all together and using soda with a dash of bitters...I might try that with some gin tonight. I already make Gin old-fashioneds with bitters anyway.

Yup. I'm thinking of doing the same. I hate buying mixers because they always go flat and contain crap ingredients (HFCS, preservatives, etc). I've found a few good recipes online for making a homemade syrup to keep in the fridge than can be added to soda water to create your own tonic for mixing. Others suggest just skipping the tonic all together and using soda with a dash of bitters...I might try that with some gin tonight. I already make Gin old-fashioneds with bitters anyway.

I just made my first batch of tonic syrup using this guide http://craftcocktailsathome.com/2012/07/simple-homemade-tonic-water-commercial-brands-compared/ - better than the regular crap, but not as good as I expected. I didn't get the yield he did, so maybe I got it too concentrated. Other recipes I'm considering are from:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/diy-tonic-water-homemade-tonic-for-gin-recipe.html

http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/topic/7555-homemade-tonic-water-recipes/

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

I'm not interested in a soda stream at this point. Seltzer water is cheap and hassle free. Soda Stream says you make sparkling water for 25 cents a litre. I can buy seltzer for something like 82 cents a litre. To save 57 cents I probably buy the unit, a spare carbinator and a couple of spare litre bottles. I'm up to $140 investment - just not worth it to me.

BTW, Caorunn gin is really good. I recently held a blind taste test between Caorunn, Hendrick's and Pilgrim. All six participants preferred Caorunn.

I'm looking at this thing and trying to figure out why it's worth it. The machine is $80. The "carbonator" bottles (good for 60 L) are $35 apiece, which alone works out to $0.58 per liter. If I can buy a liter of club soda at the store for $0.60, what is the point? What am I missing?

I'm looking at this thing and trying to figure out why it's worth it. The machine is $80. The "carbonator" bottles (good for 60 L) are $35 apiece, which alone works out to $0.58 per liter. If I can buy a liter of club soda at the store for $0.60, what is the point? What am I missing?

They don't save money. They give you control and save bottles.

I prefer control of my money. Buy cans and recycle the aluminum.

To be fair to Soda Stream, I'll point out that you can exchange your empty carbinator at retail stores for a full one for about $15. Your ongoing cost is $0.25 per liter for the bubbles. Using the $140 I estimated for the system, you break even after a mere 245 liters. :cool:

Last edited:
The machine is 80, staples always has 20% off coupons. Then they have a $20 MIR with them. Sodastream used to have their own rebate as well, which brought the cost down to like 25 or so for me.

To be fair to Soda Stream, I'll point out that you can exchange your empty carbinator at retail stores for a full one for about $15. Your ongoing cost is $0.25 per liter for the bubbles. Using the $140 I estimated for the system, you break even after a mere 245 liters. :cool:

Ah, OK. Thanks for explaining it. That makes a lot more sense.

Also you can use those Bed Bath and Beyond 20% blue coupons on the refills while exchanging. We get those things in the mail all the time.

Also you can use those Bed Bath and Beyond 20% blue coupons on the refills while exchanging. We get those things in the mail all the time.

That's what we do. I'm drinking a soda stream diet root beer and vodka right now. They are fantastic for mixers.

Back