• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Someone tried to assassinate the Republican candidate for president

Odd choice of phrase to use in reference to an assassination attempt. The thing is, I think any honest observer would admit there was nowhere near the amount of coverage for this story that one would expect.

I think it was the proper amount of coverage for a guy who simply tried to grab a cop's gun and then explained it away as an assassination attempt.

"I was on CNN today, and I can't believe there wasn't any coverage about the man on the moon. I mean, that's kind of a big deal."

I was speaking to the lack of front page media coverage.

And I'm saying if someone would have done this at a Hillary rally, I suspect it would have dominated the news cycle for at least a day. The fact there had not been single a post on this board about it until I created this thread is indicative of how prominent the media coverage of it was, ie, not very prominent. Again, if you were being honest, many of you were probably completely unaware of what happened.

I think it was the proper amount of coverage for a guy who simply tried to grab a cop's gun and then explained it away as an assassination attempt.

What a bizarre characterization of what happened.

Everything I've read showed this as the order of events:

1. Guy talks to cop claiming to want Trump's autograph.
2. Guy tries to grab cop's gun.
3. When officials ask guy why he tried to grab cop's gun, guy says he was trying to kill Trump.

What did I get wrong?

The assassination plot to kill Obama at the convention in Denver in 2008 got almost no coverage as well (I bet barely anyone on this board even remembers it), and that was far more serious and well planned and prepared (I mean, it was still bad - but less bad than this clown).

The reality is that the Secret Service regularly runs downs threats and assassination plots and it's not really news. That's kind of sad, but it's the reality of the situation.

-edit ... found the wiki entry for the Denver plot. Direct quote here regarding the lack of media coverage it received:

The story was reported by The New York Times and The Washington Post on August 27, 2008, as well as CNN's website. The alleged plot was originally listed as the 15th story on the CNN website and was not posted on the MSNBC site at all. The story was also unreported by ABC World News, NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News and PBS NewsHour.

I don't even remember the Obama assassination plot.

Everything I've read showed this as the order of events:

3. When officials ask guy why he tried to grab cop's gun, guy says he was trying to kill Trump.

What did I get wrong?

lack of OUTRAGE and INDIGNATION

I think it was the proper amount of coverage for a guy who simply tried to grab a cop's gun
You're clearly trying to downplay it, as if it's a regular occurrence that someone tries to take a gun off of a cop in order to assassinate a presidential candidate.
and then explained it away as an assassination attempt.

And this is just weird. He "explained it away" as just an assassination attempt on a presidential candidate. No biggie. This is the definition for "explain away":
to give excuses, reasons, or explanations for something in an attempt to show that it is less serious, important, or problematic than it seems
If you admit to trying to kill a presidential candidate you're not explaining anything away. That is some serious shit.

Again, BSF.

ANYBODY who is asked to justify actions by cops "explains away" their actions.

Clearly someone who says "I was trying to assassinate Trump" as an explanation for attempting to grab a cop's gun must believe an assassination is "less serious, important, or problematic than it seems."

Again, BSF.

ANYBODY who is asked to justify actions by cops "explains away" their actions.

Clearly someone who says "I was trying to assassinate Trump" as an explanation for attempting to grab a cop's gun must believe an assassination is "less serious, important, or problematic than it seems."

If he had try to explain away what he did he would have said something like, "I'm a gun collector and just wanted to see his weapon." Instead of concocting a lie, he flat out admitted to what he was actually trying to do. Therefore, he was not explaining anything away.

If he was a normal person, that's how he would have explained it away. But he's not. He's someone who planned to assassinate a presidential candidate by grabbing a cop's gun knowing it would result in his death.

That's insane that we never heard about the Obama assassination attempt. That should have been much bigger news.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back