• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

South America travel

seventwofour

Reaction score
I'm looking to travel to South America in early December for about a week. I'm looking at the northern countries, namely Colombia and Venezuela, but I'm open to Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, etc. Brazil is out due to costs and visas. Any suggestions? Gonna be traveling solo or with one friend. Looking for culture and outdoors more than beach and partying. Working with a smaller budget than most of the Pit hedge funders.

Colombia is a MUST. Cheap Yang, EPIC gloryholes and not a snipped wang in sight.

wfudkn hooked me up with a lot of Argentina info, which is where I'm going in about 3 weeks. I didn't ask him about the places you mentioned though he may still have useful intel for you.

Anyone ever been skiing in the Andes? That is something I definitely want to do in my life. Plus, it would be an awesome escape from the mid-summer heat here..

Sorry man, just saw your message about this. I'll post what i know when this hurricane gives me a minute.

Anyone ever been skiing in the Andes? That is something I definitely want to do in my life. Plus, it would be an awesome escape from the mid-summer heat here..

I have, though not in the summer; I think it was August when I did it. Where are you? I skied in Valle Nevado, Chile. Not a tree for miles and miles, and you could look down and see Santiago in the distance (beneath smog). Pretty cool experience, though I sunburnt my eyes. Definitely wear goggles.

wfudkn and leftcoast... share your argentina knowledge! i'm planning a trip over xmas

I'm looking at flying in and out of Cartagena.

Cartagena is awesome - one of the best places i've ever been. Bogota is pretty cool too - all in all had a good time in Colombia. Haven't been to Venezuela but i get the impression it kinda sucks. Good news is i'd imagine the $ goes pretty far there?

I have, though not in the summer; I think it was August when I did it. Where are you? I skied in Valle Nevado, Chile. Not a tree for miles and miles, and you could look down and see Santiago in the distance (beneath smog). Pretty cool experience, though I sunburnt my eyes. Definitely wear goggles.

I guess I should have been more clear. I meant beat the summer heat in NC, so I'm guessing August would be perfect down there. I've heard Valle Nevado is great, but most of the mountains down there don't get all that much snow when compared to Utah, Wyoming, etc. do they? Once I can afford it, this is the first big trip I want to take my dad on, since he's taken me out west so many times.

hey white people. i am going to buenos aires over christmas week. any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. i'd like to spend a few days in mendoza, so any advice there would also be helpful.

hey white people. i am going to buenos aires over christmas week. any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. i'd like to spend a few days in mendoza, so any advice there would also be helpful.

PMs sent

If at all possible to those going to Argentina - see if you can exchange funds somewhere else first. If not, you will get completely screwed. The government in Argentina is a hot mess right now (although that may be a little disrespectful to hot messes). If you aren't getting ar$6.50 to the dollar, you aren't getting the proper exchange rate. Don't trade at ar$4.70.

If you can't stop in Chile/Brazil/wherever first, there are some places within Buenos Aires you can exchange, but it is technically illegal and somewhat dangerous. Look on Avenida Florida where they buy gold and such.

Also, please pardon the trash. Argentina can be (and is) so beautiful if you take away the influence of Peronists and their offspring that have destroyed the country thus far. Also, stay away from Puerto Madero. It may be clean, but it's basically San Diego in South America. Not anything cultural.

Go to La Americana for empanadas on the corner of 8 de Mayo and Mitre.

That is all.

Hey man. I just sent you a couple of PMs as well.

While I loved my trip to Argentina, I defs prefer Santiago, Chile to BA. I've been to Santiago a few times and absolutely love it. It also helps that I have a friend who lives there, so he takes me to some out of the way places.

Back