• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Speeding crackdown?

I was under the impression that the posted speed limit took into consideration that people would be going 5-10 over. Doesn't mean it's a valid excuse for exceeding the speed limit, but would point towards a movement to increase all speed limits by 5-10 mph if the number is going to be strictly enforced.

I was under the impression that the posted speed limit took into consideration that people would be going 5-10 over. Doesn't mean it's a valid excuse for exceeding the speed limit, but would point towards a movement to increase all speed limits by 5-10 mph if the number is going to be strictly enforced.

Starting today? Ninja, please.

Based on all the talk, I was expecting a ton of speed traps this morning. Some of the usual spots were empty (like outside the Armory on Silas Creek, though I rode my brakes down the hill just in case) and I only saw one cop in my 20 mile drive, on the Sandy Ridge on-ramp to 40-E.

speed traps listed
http://www.speedtrap.org/

use Waze.

Follow the lead of the big rigs. They know where the cops are.

Don't stick out from the pack.

How to fight a traffic ticket
https://www.motorists.org/resources/fightticket/

tl;dr - be willing and able to fight. the courts and officers don't want to try speeding cases.

A judge and state trooper called in anonymously to Two Guys Named Chris this morning. Neither were particularly happy with the crackdown, as it will make their lives unpleasant.
The trooper particularly said he didn't have time to write ticky-tack ticket, and was concerned more with DUI and Wreckless Driving, but he'd do his job. When asked when he starts pulling people over in a 65 mph zone, he said 72. One of the DJ's had a cop tell him prior to this "8 is great; 9 you're mine."

I would think any ticket 5 mph or less would be within the calibration deviations of your speedometer and the cops speed gun.

Troopers have always told me that 9 or over is where they'll pull you, mostly because it adds points, which end up costing you more down the road.

It’s Easter, it’s like a flashing sign telling everyone to slow down. On a busy weekend they do not have enough HP to stop everyone going 1 MPH over, much less 5. They could put every trooper they have out there and there is not enough time in the day to pull the speed range they are talking about.

I do anticipate more blue lights, but not going 56 in a 55. Rubberneckers dream come true this weekend!

I've always gone 4-6 over.

Who the hell goes exactly the speed limit?

I haven't gotten a ticket in over ten years and regularly drive 80+. Just try not to be the fastest car on the road.

A Virginia sheriff told me a few years ago that just about every officer will give you 5. I usually go 7 over and have had one speeding ticket in the last 10 years (didn't notice where the limit was reduced by 10 MPH).

I did get pulled over once last year by an unmarked car going about 85 in a 60 in Davidson County. Got a verbal warning. I think it was just an off duty deputy with nothing to do.

Did one of your commuting coworkers get a ticket for going 1 mile over the speed limit?

Did one of your commuting coworkers get a ticket for going 1 mile over the speed limit?

They reported a huge number of cops on the road and tons of cars pulled over on 485/77/85.

Edit: a coworker said his wife got pulled and ticketed for 4 over right after crossing into NC from SC.

I haven't gotten a ticket in over ten years and regularly drive 80+. Just try not to be the fastest car on the road.

And be careful in Virginia where 80+ is considered reckless driving, regardless of speed limit.

I follow the 10% rule. Has worked fine in the past but is made difficult by the fact that my car (ridiculously, infuriatingly) overclocks the speedo by about 10% to begin with. Once I figured out that speedo 79 = real 72 = speed to drive in 65... I've been fine.

I try to be careful to begin with tho. My car is a goddamn cop magnet.

Back