• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Speeding in VA - Legal Advice

PhillyDeac

Reaction score
I live in Pennsylvania, but got a summons in VA for wreckless speeding(68 in a 45)

I haven't had a traffic violation in roughly 8-10 years (i honestly can't remember the last time I got a speeding ticket)...

1. do insurance points carry from VA to PA?

2. I have to appear in court, or have a lawyer appear for me.

Could a lawyer have a chance at getting a reduction since I don't have a history of violations, or am I simply paying for the lawyer to show up and save me a trip...

Advice?

Last edited:
are there Va barristers on here?

you could take a defensive driving course which reduced some points, at least here in Va. it wastes 8 hrs though.

had gotten 2 tickets in 3 months so figured it would be the cheaper option.

ry5agy2a.jpg

Philly, this happened to me as well. I paid about $600 bucks to a lawyer, got my speedometer checked, sent in my Dean's List records and got off relatively cheap. I don't remember which lawyer I used, but I guess it worked out ok.

Need to know where in Va it happened. My suggestion would be hire a lawyer, especially given the reckless driving charge. It will cost a few bucks but worth for it multiple reasons.

Where in VA? Having fairly recently moved to VA, they seem to be serious about speeding. 15 miles down the road I end up in TN and they don't give a shit. But in VA they will pull you for 6-7 over.

Last edited:
Philly, this happened to me as well. I paid about $600 bucks to a lawyer, got my speedometer checked, sent in my Dean's List records and got off relatively cheap. I don't remember which lawyer I used, but I guess it worked out ok.

The traffic court system is such a joke.

I had a similar experience as TW. I was going over 80 in a 65 so it was also reckless. I hired a lawyer partially so I didn't have to drive back and partially because I hoped that his relationship with the courts would help get it reduced, which it did. I never had my equipment looked at but I probably sent in a transcript and I also did an online defensive driving course. The lawyer was able to reduce it to something like 79 in a 65 so it wasn't reckless and I didn't get any points, which I do think I would have gotten on my NJ license.

was it Rt 13? that whole damn thing is a speed trap. bunch of podunk towns.

Yea, so frustrating. ON my way back, I was looking at the speed limit changes...literally, it was 55 - 45 - 55 - 40 in about a 3-4 mile space...

Oh well, sucks, about to bend over and get fucked by the long arm of the law....

Virginia is a speed trap.

Get a lawyer, hope he can talk it down to equipment malfunction. If you have a clean driving record, there is good chance of that.

In VA, I had a 75 in a 55, and ended up paying 180$ total for my lawyer and small fine. No points. (2005 though)

I'm not positive but I don't think VA and PA trade moving violation records, so it should stay off your current insurance policy.

Back