• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Speeding in VA - Legal Advice

When I first moved to VA I got pulled over going 82 on I-64 which has a limit of 65.

I was rushing home to make my curfew and he got me coming down a big hill.

Almost 4 hours since an update. Yo Philly, in in the clink?

Do not speed in Boone's Mill on the way to Roanoke.

Or in that little stretch of 220 just north of the Martinsville bypass near the Dodge Store. It hasn't been as bad the last two years, but for a few years previous, I saw someone pulled over there about 80% of the time I'd drive through on the 5-10 trips I make a year. Hell of a way to pad the budget.

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!

Wreckless Driving/Speeding reduced to 'Improper Driving' (kinda sounds like i was driving naked or something)....anyway.

$180 fine, $60 in court cost...case closed.

Do not speed in Boone's Mill on the way to Roanoke.

Boones Mill is a pretty notorious speed trap. You also have to watch out for the speed reduction from 55-45 when entering Roanoke County on 220 N. It has always seemed odd to me as the 55mph stretch between Boones Mill and Roanoke is a pretty dangerous stretch of road.

Boones Mill is a pretty notorious speed trap. You also have to watch out for the speed reduction from 55-45 when entering Roanoke County on 220 N. It has always seemed odd to me as the 55mph stretch between Boones Mill and Roanoke is a pretty dangerous stretch of road.

The speed limit changes is what really screwed me in the first place. Like I said earlier, typically on my long trips, I will drive 10-12 mph over the speed limit (less as i go further south).... but I was distracted by my kids "I need to go to the bathroom!!!!", looking for a place to pull over and boom, instead of being 13 over, all of the sudden, I'm 23 over.

NC is pretty tough on drivers who get tickets out of state. If you're speeding 10+ over and above 70 mph, you can get your license revoked for 1 month. Happened to my wife. She got a ticket for going 72 in a 60 on a state highway in VA. Having a fit of social morality, she plead guilty and paid the ticket rather than getting a lawyer. 4 months later, she gets a letter from the NC DOT saying that her driving privileges would be suspended for a month. I was getting ready to be out of the country for about 5 weeks, so she sent in a letter./appeal and got it reduced to 1 year probation.

Always get a lawyer.

Yeah, 7 over is cool almost anywhere in VA, but not in Boones Mill and some spots on 29.

Not speeding but I thought I would bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

Wife got an expired registration ticket 4 days ago. Before she got it renewed she got another one yesterday. She was too embarrassed to tell the officer that she already got one ticket (don't get me started). She finally got the registration taken care of yesterday after the 2nd ticket (don't get me started). Is there any way to get the 2nd ticket taken away?

Not speeding but I thought I would bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

Wife got an expired registration ticket 4 days ago. Before she got it renewed she got another one yesterday. She was too embarrassed to tell the officer that she already got one ticket (don't get me started). She finally got the registration taken care of yesterday after the 2nd ticket (don't get me started). Is there any way to get the 2nd ticket taken away?

In NC, she'd have to appear at each court date with proof of registration and the charges would be dismissed. And Skins, you don't handle that for her? Come on now.

Thanks

Handle it for her? I didn't take her to raise.

Yeah, 7 over is cool almost anywhere in VA, but not in Boones Mill and some spots on 29.

I don't do criminal or traffic, so really can't comment on that part of the deal. But the bad spots to speed on 29 are the 2 counties just north of Cville/Albemarle - Greene and Madison, especially Greene. Greene only has like a 6-7 mile stretch on 29, but there is pretty much always a Greene deputy somewhere on 29 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. In Madison, be careful in that 1-2 mile stretch just over the river from Greene in the southern end of the county. As for how much will get you pulled over in central VA out to 81, I'd say single digits are mostly safe. I haven't been pulled a few times when I was in the 7-10 over range. Only ticket I've had in the last 30 years was in Nelson on 29 right after the sign where the limit dropped 15 mph, and I was about 15 over.

Bttt. So on my way to DC I got pulled for 78 in a 60 in culpeper va on 29. Any local lawyers that are deacs in the area.

Back