• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

"fractional refresh" or "fractional refresh rate" was the terminology while they were en-route.

somehow hyperspace lets you pass through something that is periodically not there

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy. Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova, and that would end your trip real quick, wouldn't it."

(or something to that effect)

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy. Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova, and that would end your trip real quick, wouldn't it."

(or something to that effect)

yeah that's in IV; but he was talking about penetrating the Starkiller's shield.

the Falcon's computer must be pretty amazing to calculate the trajectory to stop a hyperspace jump ~2,000' above a planet's surface from lightyears away

yeah that's in IV; but he was talking about penetrating the Starkiller's shield.

the Falcon's computer must be pretty amazing to calculate the trajectory to stop a hyperspace jump ~2,000' above a planet's surface from lightyears away

I think you're underestimating how incredible technology was a long, long time ago.

I think you're underestimating how incredible technology was a long, long time ago.

66e5c4044634f6be1a1a6d644cf772c2.jpg

1) I know! I'm the one that brought the shield bit up in the first place.
2) I quoted that to emphasize the work of the computer in navigating hyperspace.
3) I'm not sure I understood your question. Why would the computer have any trouble navigating through something that wasn't there (periodically)?
4) Agreed; it's a weak plot device.

3) I'm not sure I understood your question. Why would the computer have any trouble navigating through something that wasn't there (periodically)?

it wasnt' a question, just a comment. I just meant plotting a course to stop within a few thousand feet of a moving body's surface after traveling lightyears at super-light speeds probably requires a big excel sheet

it wasnt' a question, just a comment. I just meant plotting a course to stop within a few thousand feet of a moving body's surface after traveling lightyears at super-light speeds probably requires a big excel sheet

Or a suspension of disbelief! Han Coloridge.

I have a theory. If its already been thrown out there apologies, but I haven't seen it yet.

Snoke is... Luke. Luke is Snoke.

We're supposed to believe Luke has been off in isolation all these years, ashamed, because he couldn't control Kylo, who took out a temple full of Jedi recruits? The same Kylo that could barely hold his own against a reformed storm trooper who picked up a lightsaber for like the 2nd time ever? This, after years of honing his abilities since the slaughter of the Jedis?

Nah, son. Kylo had help.

Ever since the beginning Luke has had dark forces stirring inside of him. The entire premise of the first films was the battle on both a galactic scale, and an individual scale, within Luke. Vader/Emperor thought until the very end that they could turn him. That internal tug between good and evil was never truly resolved, and even now it continues. Luke, at some point, possibly sparked by his struggles with Kylo's ultra radical dark inclinations, snapped. He did something very, very bad. He gave in to the same forces that almost caused him to kill his father in ep VI. Perhaps he allowed Kylo to slaughter the padawans, perhaps he directed him to, perhaps he did it himself. But he realized what he had done, surely was ashamed, and saved the (one? last? super powerful/special?) remaining padawan by whisking her away to grow up on a desert-like planet, just as he did.

Knowing that he must first defeat once and for all the dark side within himself, he retired to an uncharted planet to live as a hermit and confront Snoke, the dark version of himself. No one must know where he is, because it would be too dangerous for anyone else to confront him, Luke knows its up to him and him alone. He has been battling Snoke for years, but Snoke's power grows, and he directs the First Order through a holographic avatar from this unknown planet.

Luke did leave one piece of insurance with his trusted droid R2D2: should the last padawan turn up, Luke's location would be revealed as she would be the only remaining hope of defeating Snoke. Luke must now decide if he can train her to do just that, and thus sacrificing himself for the good of the galaxy...

I have a theory. If its already been thrown out there apologies, but I haven't seen it yet.

We're supposed to believe Luke has been off in isolation all these years, ashamed, because he couldn't control Kylo, who took out a temple full of Jedi recruits? The same Kylo that could barely hold his own against a reformed storm trooper who picked up a lightsaber for like the 2nd time ever? This, after years of honing his abilities since the slaughter of the Jedis?

Nah, son. Kylo had help.

Ever since the beginning Luke has had dark forces stirring inside of him. The entire premise of the first films was the battle on both a galactic scale, and an individual scale, within Luke. Vader/Emperor thought until the very end that they could turn him. That internal tug between good and evil was never truly resolved, and even now it continues. Luke, at some point, possibly sparked by his struggles with Kylo's ultra radical dark inclinations, snapped. He did something very, very bad. He gave in to the same forces that almost caused him to kill his father in ep VI. Perhaps he allowed Kylo to slaughter the padawans, perhaps he directed him to, perhaps he did it himself. But he realized what he had done, surely was ashamed, and saved the (one? last? super powerful/special?) remaining padawan by whisking her away to grow up on a desert-like planet, just as he did.

Knowing that he must first defeat once and for all the dark side within himself, he retired to an uncharted planet to live as a hermit and confront Snoke, the dark version of himself. No one must know where he is, because it would be too dangerous for anyone else to confront him, Luke knows its up to him and him alone. He has been battling Snoke for years, but Snoke's power grows, and he directs the First Order through a holographic avatar from this unknown planet.

Luke did leave one piece of insurance with his trusted droid R2D2: should the last padawan turn up, Luke's location would be revealed as she would be the only remaining hope of defeating Snoke. Luke must now decide if he can train her to do just that, and thus sacrificing himself for the good of the galaxy...

This is solid. They won't do it, but this is solid.

When the Snoke image blurred before the Death Star collapsed, and was revealed to be a hologram, I thought that the Snoke thing could just be a made up apparition, and that Luke or some other Jedi could be behind Snoke. Dark Jedis dont generally follow non Jedi, they need a Sith Lord to control them. So would make sense if Snoke was Luke or some other surviving bad Jedi.

Luke's back and forth with the Dark Side would also splain how he has a kid.

Nah, son. Kylo had help.

The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.

Went with my 7 year old daughter this afternoon. Thoroughly enjoyed it--particularly the scene with Finn and Rey escaping in the Falcon. That was awesome. I knew what was going to happen to Han as soon as he walked out on the bridge, as much as I didn't want it to (I figured this would happen as I remembered Harrison Ford talking about how he wanted them to kill off Han in ROTJ).

Went with my 7 year old daughter this afternoon. Thoroughly enjoyed it--particularly the scene with Finn and Rey escaping in the Falcon. That was awesome. I knew what was going to happen to Han as soon as he walked out on the bridge, as much as I didn't want it to (I figured this would happen as I remembered Harrison Ford talking about how he wanted them to kill off Han in ROTJ).

Watching the movie and realizing what a huge role Han Solo had made it clear to me that he wouldn't live. He is essentially the Obi-Wan Kenobi of the new films. Except I think he taught Finn and Rey much better than Obi-Wan did for Luke. In case people haven't noticed, Luke only succeeded in redeeming Vader and defeating the Sith by doing the exact opposite of what Obi-Wan and Yoda told him to do.

Yoda in Empire: The only way you can complete your training is to stay here and not face Vader.

Yoda in Jedi: The only way to complete your training is to go face Vader

Yep, this was my favorite scene in the movie.

Back