• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Man, the whole R2 thing was pretty contrived. Also, the galaxy map key was ridiculous - it obviously wasn't encrypted and they have a super-detailed map already. You could have easily figured out where Luke was by comparing the fragment to the whole map.

Obviously, the Star Wars universe allows FTL travel. I didn't realize that X-Wings had a drive. Also, does anyone have an idea of what type of speeds we are working with here? Rey traveled across the galaxy in what seemed like a few seconds. Not much intrigue when the First Order could just show up in your system with no forewarning or leadtime to prepare.

In that same vein. Where in relation to the destroyed systems was the rebel base and in turn the death star v3? If it was close enough to see the plasma beams in the sky, it would have been close enough for the First Order to attack and end the whole thing. It seems like the new death star is able to project the beams at FTL speeds?

Obviously it is soft sci-fi for the masses but I'm still curious as to the science in the canon universe. The scale on which these attacks are occurring and the purported timelines are tough plot points to swallow. Even in a universe where we have the force and lightsabers.

Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's fantasy that is set in another galaxy.

TW wanted Han to take Rey and Finn to space physics lecture at the Imperial Academy.

I'm fine with blatantly impossible science that Star Wars uses to further its plot. I can stomach the fact that they have weapon which can vaporize 5 planets at once using only the energy from a star. An even bigger impossibility than the FTL weirdness, I might add, but the scale of the galaxy and the quickness with which everything occurs is a pretty obvious plot vehicle for which an explanation is omitted. It's like reading the Bible.

star wars is not sci fi.

at least not when done right. the prequels delved way too much into sci fi (see: mitichlorians) and we saw the result

Last edited:
Yeah. You don't Kenpom Star Wars.

This movie sucked. They just crammed all the plot devices/scenery/characters from the original trilogy into 1 movie for merchandising purposes, albeit with a new coat of paint. I'll say it - the Prequel trilogy had more imagination in it than this, and it isn't even close. I'll just watch future releases On Demand or whatever for $3.99.

Glad someone else paid for my ticket. Tee hee ...

Anyone else realize booradley was a parody? Is this one of moonz's?

late to the party, but finally saw it today. Agree that it probably paralleled IV a bit too much, but at least they had some fun with it. Han had a few great lines in the scene on the resistance base, something to the effect of "c'mon these things always have a weakness".

I really liked it, but it was pretty much a remake of episode IV.

1915277_760322917445733_9054444949018106408_n.jpg

late to the party, but finally saw it today. Agree that it probably paralleled IV a bit too much, but at least they had some fun with it. Han had a few great lines in the scene on the resistance base, something to the effect of "c'mon these things always have a weakness".

"That's not how the force works."

Got me.

Fun movie. Definitely a reminder not to take Star Wars too seriously. I could poke holes in it all day, but seems beside the point. They played it safe and made a movie for Star Wars fan bois. In that way it was satisfying to a degree, it helped set up the trilogy and other movies and at least made me expect them to be worth the entertainment value.

We're talking about a franchise that was pimped out a long time ago. If anyone truly has a gripe, they should watch the first three films ad infinitum in a locked room.

I always found it difficult to establish a spectrum of time in all the Star Wars movies. Did all that shit happen in three days or was it months?

Asked for the the entire family to go as my Christmas gift for the year. To set them up I made them watch IV V VI the week before we went. My kids are 15 & 13 and my daughter remembered the awkwardness from IV when there was some heavy romantic attraction between princess Lea and Luke. After watching IV and remembering the way the original looked it was extremely different, namely “the kiss” when swinging between the platforms. There was lots of eye contact in the original behind Hahn’s back and when they wen’t back to “digitally remaster” they eliminated all the brother/sister sexual attraction.

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awaketh Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Seen this twice, had a lot of fun both times. Definitely felt at times like a souped-up remake of ANH, but whatever. My bigger gripes are:

1. Inadequate world-building. What is the First Order's relationship to the Empire? Is it just the next iteration of it? Is it a bunch of talented but green kids like Hux and Ren's adolescent attempt to relive the Empire's glory days? Something in between? There were a few nods to the Empire, namely Ren's reference to the new Stormtroopers not being clones and obviously Starkiller Base, but I would've appreciated some more color on how the audience was supposed to frame these guys. Like, were we as the audience supposed to be "in on the joke" that Starkiller Base was a half-assed imitation of the Death Star?

2. Supreme Leader Snoke. Come on, mang. You're making what you *know* to a literal certainty will be one of the top 5 grossing movies of all time. You can't make the "ultimate" behind-the-scenes villain a really tall, shittier looking Gollum. Also, where was this cat during the OT? Seems old and powerful enough to have been around for it.

3. The relationship between the Republic and the Resistance. Is one just the military arm of the other? What significance did the destruction of the Republic have in this movie other than to show that Starkiller actually works?

These obviously are nit picks; the movie was actually *fun* and had life and humor and all the nice winks and touches the prequels lacked. There were so many cool little touches too; did anyone else notice how Ren's light saber wasn't as "polished" as Luke's in that it flickered a lot more? This though is something that might tie into the question above about how maybe Ren (and the First Order) is talented and dangerous, but not quite "there" yet.

Just hoping Rian Johnson takes a few more risks and gets a bit more wonky with Ep VIII.

Last edited:
I feel like the concept of hyperspace timing differs in movies, as in Empire I read that Luke spent a few months with Yoda while the Falcon had to limp to Dagobah (but the Empire took a while to get there too).

in this one it seems like they just hopped between place to place within minutes/hours.

Back