• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS

I disagree with the goal of keeping the original trilogy twists a surprise so the movies can be watched in order. That defeats the purpose of prequels.

Otherwise it's good. It makes sense for Obi Wan to be the main character to see Anakin's descent from his perspective to mirror seeing Anakin's redemption through Luke's perspective.

I need to see the first two. I like the idea of Anakin as a more direct parallel to Luke except cocky and reckless instead of whiny. No doubt if Disney remade the prequels, Ep 1 would be similar to Ep 4 like Ep 7 was.

Just saw it and am very happy. I'm not going to read the last 22 pages but some takeaway are as follows. I'm glad it didn't get caught up in modern visual effects in lieu of plot like I felt 1-3 did. The new characters are likable and I'll be happy to see them develop. It was pretty much a mirror image of 4 with the addition of Fin but that's fine. Carrie Fisher has had a lot of face lifts. Glad I didn't see in 3D because I would've gotten sick. Looking forward to seeing it again and the rest to come!

Ok, I've just rewatched it, and I've got a couple of quick corrections to my earlier takes:

1) it is most definitely not Kylo chatting to Rey in the flashback -- it is most likely the fat alien dude that stole the Falcon who is entrusted with keeping hold of rey for her parents (whoever they are).

2) The rey-Leia hug is especially weird because it struck me that they had never actually met. Perhaps this was much more obvious to other people, but I hadn't actually put that together.

There were several other things that struck me on a second watch, but I've forgotten them.

Man, the whole R2 thing was pretty contrived. Also, the galaxy map key was ridiculous - it obviously wasn't encrypted and they have a super-detailed map already. You could have easily figured out where Luke was by comparing the fragment to the whole map.

Obviously, the Star Wars universe allows FTL travel. I didn't realize that X-Wings had a drive. Also, does anyone have an idea of what type of speeds we are working with here? Rey traveled across the galaxy in what seemed like a few seconds. Not much intrigue when the First Order could just show up in your system with no forewarning or leadtime to prepare.

In that same vein. Where in relation to the destroyed systems was the rebel base and in turn the death star v3? If it was close enough to see the plasma beams in the sky, it would have been close enough for the First Order to attack and end the whole thing. It seems like the new death star is able to project the beams at FTL speeds?

Obviously it is soft sci-fi for the masses but I'm still curious as to the science in the canon universe. The scale on which these attacks are occurring and the purported timelines are tough plot points to swallow. Even in a universe where we have the force and lightsabers.

Maz Kanata can't be dead. That was a weak-ass attack. I'm sure she has lived through worse.

X-Wings made hyperspace jumps in the original trilogy, certainly in RotJ.

Maz Kanata can't be dead. That was a weak-ass attack. I'm sure she has lived through worse.

Due to the fact we saw her climb out of temple with Han and Finn, and I don't feel like you sign Lupita Nyong'o for one movie, I think she is definitely alive

Think Phasma is alive too

In that same vein. Where in relation to the destroyed systems was the rebel base and in turn the death star v3? If it was close enough to see the plasma beams in the sky, it would have been close enough for the First Order to attack and end the whole thing. It seems like the new death star is able to project the beams at FTL speeds?

They saw the beams from Maz's planet not the Resistances planet/system. And were attacked immediately after.

Due to the fact we saw her climb out of temple with Han and Finn, and I don't feel like you sign Lupita Nyong'o for one movie, I think she is definitely alive

Think Phasma is alive too

I was thinking you do sign Lupita for 1 movie, just like you would Alec Guinness or Liam Neeson (or a hypothetical Sean Bean).

E: Well fine, Island.

The did in ROTJ, but in IV the weren't tie fighters are described as short range vehicles

X-wings have hyperdrives, Tie fighters don't (with a few exceptions such as Vader's personal one). This is well established in various books, comics, etc.
Right, the standard TIE fighters and TIE bombers don't have hyperdrives. TIE Defenders, TIE Interceptors, and TIE advanced x1 (Vader's prototype) do.

But TIE fighters can only carry a single pilot (and don't have room for a gunner), so who really knows.

one thing that would have been nice would be an actual familiar face at the beginning rather than the random old man. instead of serving as a good piece of exposition about where the world is, it just makes the viewer wonder who the dude is because of the way the script makes him seem like someone we should already know.

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awaketh Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Man, the whole R2 thing was pretty contrived. Also, the galaxy map key was ridiculous - it obviously wasn't encrypted and they have a super-detailed map already. You could have easily figured out where Luke was by comparing the fragment to the whole map.

Obviously, the Star Wars universe allows FTL travel. I didn't realize that X-Wings had a drive. Also, does anyone have an idea of what type of speeds we are working with here? Rey traveled across the galaxy in what seemed like a few seconds. Not much intrigue when the First Order could just show up in your system with no forewarning or leadtime to prepare.

Obviously it is soft sci-fi for the masses but I'm still curious as to the science in the canon universe. The scale on which these attacks are occurring and the purported timelines are tough plot points to swallow. Even in a universe where we have the force and lightsabers.

It's fucking Star Wars, your complaint is you wanted more boredom and waiting?

one thing that would have been nice would be an actual familiar face at the beginning rather than the random old man. instead of serving as a good piece of exposition about where the world is, it just makes the viewer wonder who the dude is because of the way the script makes him seem like someone we should already know.

When I see a complaint like this, I feel as if people are just looking for things to complain about.

SPOILERS: Star Wars: The Force Awaketh Discussion Thread SPOILERS

Or he just really fucking hated Scooby Doo as a kid

Last edited:
It's fucking Star Wars, your complaint is you wanted more boredom and waiting?

TW wanted Han to take Rey and Finn to space physics lecture at the Imperial Academy.

Back