• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Football Practice

I get it. Hank looks fine. Jeremy looks like he could step in and be a dude in the future. Still scared about OL and DBs.
But then you have to play this game: do you play Jeremy now even if he isn’t 100% ready to make him happy so he doesn’t transfer? Or do you hold him back in case he looks awesome and then transfers for more money? It’s a catch-22.

Last edited:
Hank looked “fine” but that concerns me. He looked awesome on the first drive but then it wasn’t much. It’s also hard to gauge during a scrimmage.
He’s a 6th year guy, unless something really clicks with this offense, he’s an NFL camp invite guy at best. Kern couldn’t beat out Griffis so I guess what I’m saying is I don’t expect either of these guys to surprise us. Considering we are losing both of them and the only other guy on scholarship is a non-factor, so Helinski is the designated future starter. He probably doesn’t need to play this year to make that a reality. I doubt he leaves as a redshirt freshmen who is the presumptive starter for the next 4 years.

But then you have to play this game: do you play Jeremy now even if he is 100% ready to make him happy so he doesn’t transfer? Or do you hold him back in case he looks awesome and then transfers for more money? It’s a catch-22.
You play anyone and everyone as much as needed to win that particular game.

And he is 5th on the chart behind a walk on and a true freshman. Where do you see him slotting in for the future?
He will lead us to a miraculous victory against Pitt and then never be heard from again.

In all seriousness it will be kinda wild if Santino never throws another college pass again

He will lead us to a miraculous victory against Pitt and then never be heard from again.

In all seriousness it will be kinda wild if Santino never throws another college pass again
It’s trending in that direction.

The great Santino was the only positive moment we had in the 2023 season. I’ll always remember that! Also, because that was my 2 year old son’s first game of his young life. I was trying to get him in on the ground level to witness a debacle similarly how I was introduced to wake sports, but damn it… the great Santino ruined my son’s initiation!!!

But then you have to play this game: do you play Jeremy now even if he isn’t 100% ready to make him happy so he doesn’t transfer? Or do you hold him back in case he looks awesome and then transfers for more money? It’s a catch-22.
I know it's not a real game but I kinda thought Jeremy looked the best now

He’s a 6th year guy, unless something really clicks with this offense, he’s an NFL camp invite guy at best. Kern couldn’t beat out Griffis so I guess what I’m saying is I don’t expect either of these guys to surprise us. Considering we are losing both of them and the only other guy on scholarship is a non-factor, so Helinski is the designated future starter. He probably doesn’t need to play this year to make that a reality. I doubt he leaves as a redshirt freshmen who is the presumptive starter for the next 4 years.
The only reason Kern couldn't beat out Griffis is because clawson had some stupid stubborn reason to keep Mitch as the starter. Once Kern got the reigns it was immediately obvious to everyone he was better

This is why I am having a hard time for this season. I feel like Clawson sold the team and fans out for some reason last year and insisted on playing Griffis until the pressure and losses mounted forcing him to make a change.

I have not heard any reasonable explanation of why he chose to stick with Griffis for so long. Clawson is very intelligent and knows far more about football than I do but it was apparent to even the most casual fan that at best Griffis was QB3.

I am afraid we will pay for that decision for years to come. I hope Clawson gets things turned around and the season is a success but that is not my expectation

We saw the exact opposite and the ugly results last season
This of course, depends on who one decides is necessary to play to win. The idea is sound. The decisions maybe less so.

This of course, depends on who one decides is necessary to play to win. The idea is sound. The decisions maybe less so.
You are absolutely correct. The theory only works if the person making the decisions is truly making the best decisions and using all available resources to successfully carry out the objective. I will go to my grave wondering why Clawson stuck with Griffis for so long, when it was obviously to the team's detriment.

I had wondered why we haven’t heard many reports from spring practice from Clawson.
He said at the end of the game yesterday that he won’t be stating names as to who has stood out for fear that coaches may poach these players in the next 8 days. Crazy times…

This is why I am having a hard time for this season. I feel like Clawson sold the team and fans out for some reason last year and insisted on playing Griffis until the pressure and losses mounted forcing him to make a change.

I have not heard any reasonable explanation of why he chose to stick with Griffis for so long. Clawson is very intelligent and knows far more about football than I do but it was apparent to even the most casual fan that at best Griffis was QB3.

I am afraid we will pay for that decision for years to come. I hope Clawson gets things turned around and the season is a success but that is not my expectation

I'm not as pessimistic. Yes the evaluation of the QB situation in 2023 was not good. However, at least part if that was massive differences between the performance of Mitch in live games in 2023 and his performance in his start in 2022 and his work in practices and spring games. Apparently Mitch looked like QB1 while wearing the green jersey, but became a very different guy when the guys in other color shirts were coming after him for serious.

Best guess is that coaches thought he was having "stage fright" because he hadn't played in live football games in several years. So, a few games to get over the stage fright seemed pretty reasonable. He never did get over it, I amsure to the puzzlement of the staff (and quite possibly Mitch himself).

Kern wasn't healthy for much of the season. An injured Kern wasn't playable.

Marucci benefitted from a series of massive brain farts by Pitt. His game winning TD pass was a shoe topper that the receiver made an incredible effort to catch. The receiver was open. That pass should have been to the numbers, not the shins.

The staff recognized that what they did last year didn't work. So they are doing things differently this spring.

1. QB from the portal. First one in the Clawson era. Likely starter, as Kern is injured.
2. Revised practice format. Two fields running in parallel. More reps for guys not first string should lead to faster development.
3. Planning on playing more and redshirting fewer freshmen.
4. Changes in the playbook. There were plays in the spring game that I had not seen run by Wake in the Clawson era.
5. Two healthy starting offensive tackles. There was a comment that one of the two starting tackles in 2023 had an injury that restricted him to playing one side. That is not an issue this year. Also, grad transfer OT brought in to improve the position. Another first in the Clawson era.

Clawson recognized that what happened last year was not good. So he changed a bunch of stuff in preparation for 2024. On 2023 his system broke. He made changes for 2024. Now we will see if they are the correct ones to fix what broke.

I'm not as pessimistic. Yes the evaluation of the QB situation in 2023 was not good. However, at least part if that was massive differences between the performance of Mitch in live games in 2023 and his performance in his start in 2022 and his work in practices and spring games. Apparently Mitch looked like QB1 while wearing the green jersey, but became a very different guy when the guys in other color shirts were coming after him for serious.

Best guess is that coaches thought he was having "stage fright" because he hadn't played in live football games in several years. So, a few games to get over the stage fright seemed pretty reasonable. He never did get over it, I amsure to the puzzlement of the staff (and quite possibly Mitch himself).

Kern wasn't healthy for much of the season. An injured Kern wasn't playable.

Marucci benefitted from a series of massive brain farts by Pitt. His game winning TD pass was a shoe topper that the receiver made an incredible effort to catch. The receiver was open. That pass should have been to the numbers, not the shins.

The staff recognized that what they did last year didn't work. So they are doing things differently this spring.

1. QB from the portal. First one in the Clawson era. Likely starter, as Kern is injured.
2. Revised practice format. Two fields running in parallel. More reps for guys not first string should lead to faster development.
3. Planning on playing more and redshirting fewer freshmen.
4. Changes in the playbook. There were plays in the spring game that I had not seen run by Wake in the Clawson era.
5. Two healthy starting offensive tackles. There was a comment that one of the two starting tackles in 2023 had an injury that restricted him to playing one side. That is not an issue this year. Also, grad transfer OT brought in to improve the position. Another first in the Clawson era.

Clawson recognized that what happened last year was not good. So he changed a bunch of stuff in preparation for 2024. On 2023 his system broke. He made changes for 2024. Now we will see if they are the correct ones to fix what broke.
Wasn’t able to make it yesterday. Can you elaborate on this?

Back