• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Practice Updates/Spring Game Discussion

**About to summarize a verbal conversation so don't quote me but the gist of it is what matters**

According to a starter on our O-line who is graduating this year our problems on offense this past season and beyond stem from having an offensive coordinator who will not stick with a system and allow any level of continuity. Also a direct quote was "at some point he has to let the players play" and according to this player things are not how the Lobo apologists would like us to believe they are. This player said Lobo's attitude concerning the offense is haughty (my words) and he does not recognize the weaknesses in his system.

How on Earth is this going to work now with two co-coordinators? Until Lobo is gone our offense will continue to underachieve and be handcuffed by play calling. Feel free to not believe me but to those that recognize my handle know Ive been around.

How has Price looked? I assume Sousa (sp) will be redshirting.

Anyone have a report on who we have running 1st string at linebacker?

**About to summarize a verbal conversation so don't quote me but the gist of it is what matters**

According to a starter on our O-line who is graduating this year our problems on offense this past season and beyond stem from having an offensive coordinator who will not stick with a system and allow any level of continuity. Also a direct quote was "at some point he has to let the players play" and according to this player things are not how the Lobo apologists would like us to believe they are. This player said Lobo's attitude concerning the offense is haughty (my words) and he does not recognize the weaknesses in his system.

How on Earth is this going to work now with two co-coordinators? Until Lobo is gone our offense will continue to underachieve and be handcuffed by play calling. Feel free to not believe me but to those that recognize my handle know Ive been around.

Ugh.

Looks like from the official roster, Lobo is still the only offensive coordinator. More coaches have just been given more duties.

I will absolutely never, as long as I live, understand how a coach who had the world in his hands (i.e. Jim Grobe) did not seize the day and look to recruit highly talented coordinators after the 2008 season. The money was in the coffers and the trigger simply needed to be pulled. When Wake had no leverage, I completely understood the predicament. But, with an ACCC under his belt and an Orange Bowl appearance, he had every opportunity to fix what needed to be fixed. He simply did not do it and we're all paying the price. Dearly.

I will absolutely never, as long as I live, understand how a coach who had the world in his hands (i.e. Jim Grobe) did not seize the day and look to recruit highly talented coordinators after the 2008 season. The money was in the coffers and the trigger simply needed to be pulled. When Wake had no leverage, I completely understood the predicament. But, with an ACCC under his belt and an Orange Bowl appearance, he had every opportunity to fix what needed to be fixed. He simply did not do it and we're all paying the price. Dearly.

He is loyal to a fault. From his past actions, it looks like he will never actively "harm" one of his assistant coaches that have been with him for a long time. I wish he would just demote Lobo to o-line coach and maybe that has started with a more definitive passing/running game plan is going on behind the scenes.

Ugh.

Looks like from the official roster, Lobo is still the only offensive coordinator. More coaches have just been given more duties.

your right I misspoke. I was referencing the whole new co-coordinators of passing game and Lobo being in charge of the run game and overseeing the offense as a whole.

Yeah, I thought from some of the reports that Galloway was going to be a co-Offensive Coordinator, but it looks like that's not the case.

Our offense has been in disarray for awhile and it's been clear for awhile that Lobo doesn't have what it takes to be a good OC and Grobe doesn't have what it takes to demote him or get rid of him.

Interesting thoughts from the player re Lobo. And I agree, Lobo reminds me of a guy that negotiates with himself, which leaves him getting screwed.

Lobo reminds me of the guy who out thinks himself even with the simplest of options. I would love to be in his head playing rock paper scissors. We both throw rock to start and tie, now Lobo goes to himself, well I threw rock so he wont think I will throw rock again, but because I think that he thinks that so I wont throw rock, but if I throw paper he will think that I am not going to throw rock but throw paper because that counters rock that he just threw, but he probably thinks that I know that he wont throw rock again because he just threw rock, so he might think I will throw rock, so he will throw paper, and I will throw scissors, but if he thinks I will throw scissors then I probably should throw rock again, oh well Ill just run a draw play they wont see that coming.

Lobo reminds me of the guy who out thinks himself even with the simplest of options. I would love to be in his head playing rock paper scissors. We both throw rock to start and tie, now Lobo goes to himself, well I threw rock so he wont think I will throw rock again, but because I think that he thinks that so I wont throw rock, but if I throw paper he will think that I am not going to throw rock but throw paper because that counters rock that he just threw, but he probably thinks that I know that he wont throw rock again because he just threw rock, so he might think I will throw rock, so he will throw paper, and I will throw scissors, but if he thinks I will throw scissors then I probably should throw rock again, oh well Ill just run a draw play they wont see that coming.

laughed and then i cried

These are why the new boards are here. Thank you for your insight. I hope this crazy new co-passing guru thing works. I'll leave my fears to the side for the time being.

Wow. Thanks for this.

fwiw, i've heard the same criticisms of Lobo from former players, including two starting QBs, to wit, that he tries to outsmart the other team instead of just letting the players go out and do their job.

case-in-point: cory randolph wasn't allowed to audible when he was qb. so against purdue, when we had our shotgun draw called and everyone in the stadium could see we were going to be running it into a safety blitz, cory couldnt do anything about it.

Last edited:
fwiw, i've heard the same criticisms of Lobo from former players, including two starting QBs, to wit, that he tries to outsmart the other team instead of just letting the players go out and do their job.

Same, except I didnt hear it from two starting QBs. The main complaint was that they were too complex to run effectively.

What's funny is that many of us have been saying that for years just from watching the games without any input from players.

It's pretty clear his emphasis on tricking the other team gets in the way of good execution.

Don't out-think the room. Should be in the top 5 of coaching rules.

Back