• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring!

52f77d15b8f9c.image.png

Wednesday

The NWS really sucks when it comes to giving heads up on storms. They almost always wait till the last minute.

Atlanta states they will pretreat priority roads and bridges Monday in anticipation of a winter storm. Looks like someone learned a thing or two in the last few weeks.

I get that this all is about predicting the future based on certain evidence and is an inexact science. But why is so hard to get a forecast? Is it fear of being wrong? I can check 5 websites for the weather and get 5 different forecasts. This thread seems to suggest that Gboro might get 4-8 inches Tue-Wed, yet TWC, Accuweather, etc. all say stuff like 40% chance of snow, maybe a little accumulation.

I was driving to Western NC on Tuesday...Scratch that...Leaving tomorrow PM...Err on the side of caution.

Snow

Just came through Charlotte on my way home from Hilton Head--77, 485, and 85 have already been brined.

Allan's holding back on us but he says it'll be significant

Fuck You too.

Not sure if anyone here is actually doing it, but fuck anyone who is rooting for this snowstorm to hit NC.

To make matters worse than usual for our family, I am out of town on business for the week. That means that any cancellation of school that doesn't also involve WFU cancelling classes means my wife is hosed trying to juggle the 3 kids being home with her responsibilities as a professor. When I'm home we can usually navigate that messy situation, but not this time. Hopefully some of our usual babysitters end up not having to work those days.

I get that this all is about predicting the future based on certain evidence and is an inexact science. But why is so hard to get a forecast? Is it fear of being wrong? I can check 5 websites for the weather and get 5 different forecasts. This thread seems to suggest that Gboro might get 4-8 inches Tue-Wed, yet TWC, Accuweather, etc. all say stuff like 40% chance of snow, maybe a little accumulation.

Very small differences can make big changes. We know there will be a storm, however the type of precip looks to be the biggest variable, ie sn, ip, zr. The models ingest atmospheric readings from around the globe that help them make predictions. You get many more samples when they make landfall in the US

The triangle can look forward to snow, then lots of ice. Prepare for power outages, bitches!

Back