• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring!

Due to his petulance, I say he should get banned snow or not.

I agree. If you are saying the snow is coming, I tend not to trust your omens of "winter is coming" in any form. No offense, just gotta stick with the data.

Re: the blue blob. It's virga. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Winston is currently 27 degrees. Dewpoint is 10. That's a very dry lower atmosphere. When initial precip falls it evaporates in the dry, lower levels thus never making it to the ground despite showing up on the radar. This is quite common in the south and why you can have snow in NC when the temp is above 32 but a low dewpoint as precip moves in. Ever heard meteorologists talk about evaporative cooling?

As the heavier precip moves in your dewpoint will rise as the atmosphere becomes more saturated and your temps will drop. Once they get close to converging you'll see snow make it to the ground.

I haven't looked at the data but with people reporting snow in Charlotte I would bet CLT is cooler and closer to the dewpoint.

It was only a matter of time before we got some #nerdtalk to try and back up Obama's lies.

this is beautiful:

Campus Grounds
Just because Starbucks is closing at 1pm today doesn't mean you can't get your caffeine/hot chocolate fix. Campus Grounds is braving the storm and will remain open until 8pm today. ‪#‎snowstorm‬ ‪#‎hotchocolate‬

So, everything that falls and doesn't make it to the ground can be subtracted from those expected totals then, right? What if we never get saturated enough/the heavy band misses us?

should I make a run to teeter thai (which means putting on pants) or stick a TJ's green sauce chicken burrito in the oven?

this is beautiful:

Campus Grounds
Just because Starbucks is closing at 1pm today doesn't mean you can't get your caffeine/hot chocolate fix. Campus Grounds is braving the storm and will remain open until 8pm today. ‪#‎snowstorm‬ ‪#‎hotchocolate‬

Ha, well when all your employees probs live on campus that certainly helps things.

I agree. If you are saying the snow is coming, I tend not to trust your omens of "winter is coming" in any form. No offense, just gotta stick with the data.

I actually find it's better to just go with gut instinct. My numby sense told me it would snow. I guess it failed me. Sorry clan.

Where are the flakes
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Numbers is putting up a good front, but deep in the recesses of his mind..........ABJECT TERROR!!!!!

this is beautiful:

Campus Grounds

Suck it, Starbucks.

White dust flying around in high point, what is this BS? COME ON FATHER NATURE, SLING THY SEED!!!!

Flakes are still steady and small in CLT. Maybe 2 inches have accumulated but that's a complete guess. Roads are bad. From my balcony I can see Hawthorne (back road) and Independence (big road); Hawthorne is all white and Independence is a traffic jam of maybe 5mph leaving the city with nobody coming into the city.

So, everything that falls and doesn't make it to the ground can be subtracted from those expected totals then, right? What if we never get saturated enough/the heavy band misses us?

Depends on the meteorologist. Virga is a widely known phenomenon among forecasters so I would assume most took this into account (figuring out the dewpoint/temp difference isn't as difficult as tracking a low). If it were to take longer for the atmosphere to become saturated, then yes, you could subtract from snow totals.

Having watched my fair share of weathercasts from Austin and Lanie I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't account for this, but others like the NWS do so whatever the winter storm warning says is still probably valid. It doesn't look like snow was truly expected before 3 PM so I wouldn't be worried now.

At least when Bzz finally gets fired he can take his talents to meteorology and be the brains of the profession.

Flakes are still steady and small in CLT. Maybe 2 inches have accumulated but that's a complete guess. Roads are bad. From my balcony I can see Hawthorne (back road) and Independence (big road); Hawthorne is all white and Independence is a traffic jam of maybe 5mph leaving the city with nobody coming into the city.

a mile from you on the Plaza we have about 2 inches so far since 9:30 or so.

Back