• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Victor Wembanyama ROY, runner-up DPOY; Spurs pick #4 and #8

If the Spurs keep improving they have shown early on, the free agents will come. I really thought VanVleet was that guy but someone else will show up this offseason.
All the draft capital can also be packaged to move way up and grab a SF.

Vassell is out "a little while." He has an MRI today.

I assume Branham will start and Champagnie will get more playing time. Curious to see if Keldon slides down to play SG in some lineups. I guess Gordon is available now.

Do they not want to go tre, kj, Sochan, Wemby, Collins? The Sochan as pg thing seems forced. Feel like he’s better suited as a SF.

I think Pop will try Sochan at PG a little while longer. The logic I've heard is that they don't see Tre as a starter or want him to earn the starting spot long term so they're experimenting with Sochan there.

I think that will be the close out lineup without Vassell but I think it would mess up rotations to start Tre and Sochan.

I'm really excited too. This mix is fu with a lot of flexibility.

Vassell's ceiling is as a Robin. Agree he's not there just yet but he's showing signs.

Groin tightness. He didn’t come back out in the 2nd half.

Collins has been pretty good in what I've seen, which I think is funny cause someone on the other thread said 'nobody is coming to watch Zach Collins.' Vassell thinks he is a dude but I'm not so sure he has it. I like Johnson's game the most out of the non-Victor players.
Collins has impressed.

Nice wins at Phoenix.

I don't know if Vassell has "it." But he sure looked like it in the 1st half. He had 17 on 7-10 fg, 3-3 from deep. On the season, he's shooting 36-67 (.537) and 11-27 (.407) and averaging 19.4 despite missing a half.

I think this roster needs a veteran PG and a star player as a 2nd option between Wemby and Vassell to compete for a championship. Right now, my ideal championship roster around this core 2-3 years from would be something like:

PG Veteran PG, Jones
SG Vassell, Branham
SF Star SF, Johnson
PF Wemby, Sochan
C Collins

With Bassey, Barlow, Cissoko, and another young guard rounding out the roster. I don't think they'll get that PG or SF from the draft unless they get lucky with the Hawks picks or draft really well mid-1st.
That's a solid breakdown.

I was thinking:

Star PG/Jones/Wesley
Vassell/Branham
Johnson/Cissoko may be a starter
Sochan/Vet PF/Barlow
Wemby/Collins/Bassey

Johnson is a fringe star, so I don't think he ever becomes a bench guy.

Vassell is day-to-day with a left adductor strain. He could be back as soon as Monday at the Pacers or Wednesday at the Knicks.

Kinda mad three of the next four Spurs games conflict with the Panthers and Wake hoops.

SAN ANTONIO -- Devin Vassell will be considered day-to-day with a left adductor strain, a positive development after San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich first said the fourth-year guard could be out "a little while."

Vassell left Thursday's win against the Phoenix Suns with left groin tightness and received an MRI once the team returned from Phoenix.

The team is likely to hold him out of Sunday afternoon's game against the Toronto Raptors and reassess his status ahead of next week's two-game road trip against the Indiana Pacers and the New York Knicks.

Last edited:
Glad to hear vassell is day to day. Originally sounded like it would be longer.

Also, I've not been this excited about an afternoon spurs game in awhile.

Last edited:
I take salsa classes with my wife on Sunday afternoons. Thankfully she's fine driving while I watch Raptors-Spurs on my tablet and Colts-Panthers on my phone.

Brahnam starting for Vassell.

Vic with the bench unit (Jones, McDermott, Osman, and Bassey) is so good. He really is a cheat code. Pop can rest four starters and still get great production.

Up 54-35 at the half. Wemby with 12/6 with 3 blks.

Last edited:
What happened in the 3rd? Hard to complain about this team blowing big leads in two straight games but it does seem like a problem.

They are way ahead of where I thought they would be.

There's still a way to go before they have the consistency to be a play off team.

Definitely. They're a few players or years of development away. But the most important thing we know who looks good. Collins had 21/11/5. Branham had 16/6/2 in his first start. Keldon had 26/6/3. Wemby had a great line even though he struggled in the 2nd half, 20/9/4/1/5. And obviously no Vassell. These guys can win some games. Osman and McDermott continue to be good role players. This team has a playoff ceiling. But it will be tough to get there.

Down 86-61 at the half in Indy. Atrocious defense. Pacers are 14-22 from deep.

Back