• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Victor Wembanyama ROY, runner-up DPOY; Spurs pick #4 and #8

Down 119-87. The Spurs are -58 since halftime of the Raptors game. Wemby only 3-12 from the field in his first second game of a back-to-back.

It will take him a while to adjust to the speed and strength of bringing it 100% every night for five months. Not that all nba players do that, but the successful ones do

Vassell participated in shootaround at MSG. He's listed as doubtful tonight, but looks good for the NBA Cup game vs. the T-Wolves on Friday.

Vassell is playing.

This team is bad without Tre Jones.

Definitely a lot of growing pains to work through. Ultimately I'm not sure if this current starting unit will work as constructed but they do look so much better late game with Jones on the court.

I'm probably leaning don't make big moves this year, unless they caught fire had a good shot at the play offs. At that point a trade for the right asset might make sense. Otherwise see what pieces you have going into the next off season.

Yeah. I get it. This is an inventory year to see what they've got. I wanted them to get rid of LMA and DeRozan and do that years ago.
As part of seeing what they've got, they're experimenting Sochan at PG. I get it. Sochan was supposed to be the PF of the future. Now that's Wemby, so they want to see where Sochan can fit with Wemby.

The problem is Wemby is way better than I expected he'd be right now or at least his rookie ceiling is really high. It's criminal not to put him with a veteran PG and borderline malpractice to play to draft a PG of the future to grow with him who at best will take a few years to be productive. Yeah, that worked with Tony Parker but they tried to get Jason Kidd back then for a reason. We'd be talking about a .500 team if they had gotten Chris Paul.

Right. The plan was to bring him along but it seems like they're holding him back.

They need to since he's gotta mesh with teammates.

That spin, behind the hack move and dunk on the baseline was sick

I agree a veteran PG is the way to go. Im not opposed to taking one very early in the draft but 24/25 PG Plan A should be a vet

Tre and Vassell out tonight vs. the Kings.

The top 4 2-man lineups in net rating that have played more than 6 minutes are Tre + Vassell, Tre + Wemby, Tre + Sochan, and Tre + Collins.

Going to lose to the hapless Griz at home to drop to 3-10. Worst record in the West. No way Vic wins ROY over Chet playing for a bottom level team.

Last edited:
I just cant figure out why they are so so bad on defense. For years, Pop was one of the very few coaches who had great defensive teams. What has happened?

Tim Duncan was an elite defensive player.

Wemby should be too. A key point in the 4th quarter was when Sean was talking about how they’re a young team struggling to hold a lead while Memphis was on a run and JJJ was killing them. Michelle pointed out that the lineup was Tre, KJ, Osman, Wemby, and one other vet. Youth shouldn’t be an excuse.

I’m mad about my pro teams mimicking the worst parts of Wake sports. My NFL team has a tiny QB behind a bad OL. My NBA team can’t hold 1st half lead, struggles on the boards, and can’t play D.

They seem to be a step/half step slow. They are trying so much (play style, point sochan, wemby, etc) it's like everyone seems out of step for much of the game. Not catching Wemby or Collins when they fist flash inside or general decision making. If they can continue to make the right decisions more quickly they will look more like the early season 4th quarter team they've been rather than getting blown out in the third.

Back