• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread - Victor Wembanyama ROY, runner-up DPOY; Spurs pick #4 and #8

Another loss. Sochan had what could have been a game-tying steal but committed a charge against Trae who owned them all night (45/4/14/2). Sochan had a career-high 33 with 8 reb and 6 ast. Vassell, KJ, and Wemby had 20+ as well. Wemby had 21/12/2/2/4. Champagnie had 15.

Sochan was fantastic. He shot 12-14 including 3-3 from deep. But he's just not a PG. The goal of having him play PG should be to bother little PGs like Trae with his height. But Trae treated all of them like they didn't exist. Just toyed with them. He hit a step back midrange over Wemby to end the half. He worked the halfcourt to set up easy passes for Capela dunks. Just masterful.

I wonder if the Hawks would take back their 2027 pick, Keldon, and a 2026 Spurs pick for Dejounte. He'd be great on this team.

i know it’s lottery odds, but latest mock has spurs with two top 10 picks (1,10). Given the start and point differential, at this point you gotta lean into the tank.

I’d agree if I thought talent was the problem with this roster.

What do y'all think of getting Malcolm Brogdon in the next offseason? From what I've seen, SA really lacks a quality PG. Eventually, Scoot will probably become Portland's PG, so Brogdon should be available at a reasonable price.

As I posted a few days ago, I think the Spurs could have gotten Brogdon for pennies before the season started. Now that Scoot has underwhelmed and got injured and Brogdon has played very well, the value has gone up.

Keep playing hard and trying to win games. Make a move for a vet PG? I wonder if the Grizzlies would part with Smart since Ja slated to come back in a few weeks.

Wemby out tonight. No more games until Wednesday.

Pop started Wemby at C and brought Collins off the bench. Branham started in his place.

Working on a 20/20 game. Wemby's playing in the post much more today than previously. He's only played about 5 minutes with Collins so far. No Bassey at all.

Playing Wemby at C is the first step. Now Pop just needs to put Tre at PG and cut or move Graham for a veteran PG.

Another frustrating loss. Wasted a 21/20/4/1/4 game from Wemby. This team should not be this bad. Tre had a good game (18/5/9/1 on 6/7 fg). Keldon was 6-11 from deep.

Last edited:
Pop re-asserted that there "really is no point guard" in the starting lineup.

And he always praises Jones, an actual PG, who comes off the bench.

Seems revolutionary to me

Not working at all, but revolutionary.

They do not yet have an identity. So much has been in flux from game to game that I'm not quite sure what they are.

I get “positionless basketball” but the one position a team absolute needs is PG.

This team has an elite 19 year old big who can win now. He needs a PG to get him the ball in the halfcourt. It’s frustrating to see him get open in spaces few players can but places those non-PGs struggle to get him the ball or just won’t. Collins made a great play to Wemby making a spin move that was excellent. A real PG could set up more plays like that.

If youth is the reason they have trouble closing, tanking compounds on the problem. I think the Spurs have a flawed strategy of growing a really young core with a really old coach. Wemby is a win now player. They shouldn’t be waiting so Wemby can win on Sochan’s timeline while bringing along a bunch of 2024 and 2025 draft picks.

Early word is this isn’t a strong class and there isn’t much to distinguish the top 7-10 players. So counting on the draft to get the PG of the future seems like a mistake.

Where is Cissoko? Have you heard anything on him?

In other Austin news:

According to San Antonio Express-News sportswriter Tom Orsborn, Mamukelashvili requested an assignment to the Austin Spurs G League squad for some game reps. In his first game for Austin, Mamu dominated the Texas Legends in a 124-122 win. He had one of the craziest stat lines I’ve seen this season, putting up 34 points, 22 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 blocks. Mamukelashvili hit 5-13 shots from deep, and had one of the most important defensive plays of the game.

Y'all see wemby's ankle roll and pop back up?

If that really is a testament to his flexibility and conditioning plan that team is gonna get really popular.

Y'all see wemby's ankle roll and pop back up?

If that really is a testament to his flexibility and conditioning plan that team is gonna get really popular.

Didn’t get to watch the game. Just saw the video. That’s crazy.

I made a $100 bet with a coworker a couple months back that the Spurs would win a NBA title in the next 4 seasons. The current 3-17 record is concerning, but we have 3+ years to make it work

I get “positionless basketball” but the one position a team absolute needs is PG.

This team has an elite 19 year old big who can win now. He needs a PG to get him the ball in the halfcourt. It’s frustrating to see him get open in spaces few players can but places those non-PGs struggle to get him the ball or just won’t. Collins made a great play to Wemby making a spin move that was excellent. A real PG could set up more plays like that.

If youth is the reason they have trouble closing, tanking compounds on the problem. I think the Spurs have a flawed strategy of growing a really young core with a really old coach. Wemby is a win now player. They shouldn’t be waiting so Wemby can win on Sochan’s timeline while bringing along a bunch of 2024 and 2025 draft picks.

Early word is this isn’t a strong class and there isn’t much to distinguish the top 7-10 players. So counting on the draft to get the PG of the future seems like a mistake.
This.

Back