• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

The Spurs renounce rights to Simmons making him an unrestricted free agent.
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/7/13/15965662/san-antonio-spurs-renounce-jonathan-simmons-unrestricted-free-agent

Related?

Spurs sign Summer League star Brandon Paul (SG from Illinois a few years ago).
https://www.poundingtherock.com/201...reportedly-sign-euroleague-guard-brandon-paul

I guess if you pick up a guy off a tryout and he blows up to demand $10M+ in free agency, why not just try to pick up a guy off the street again?

Last edited:
These moves probably all make sense in the long run given the Spurs current cap situation. Kawhi and Pop will keep them in a top 4 spot out west, see if you can make a move at the deadline, otherwise try to get younger and save some cap space for the next couple of offseasons.

It's still a bummer to see a team that was up 23 on the Warriors in game 1 get worse in the offseason rather than adding pieces to put them over the top.

agree with rc.

i'm really surprised. clearly simmons thinks he deserves more than what the spurs are offering. he was huge as a defender and on of the only guys that showed up to play after kawhi went down. with how quiet everything has been with simmons i was assuming the market is low after the craziness last year. maybe teams just told him they did not want to bid while he was restricted so he should hold out.

Forbes was a great shooter in college. it looks like it took him a little time to fit in Pop's system. Now he's got it.

So apparently the Spurs tried to trade Simmons for Tyson Chandler or backed out of the deal before renouncing his rights.

They may have been doing Simmons a solid. I might have this wrong but I know there was talk of the Arenas rule possibly applying to Simmons which would limit the offers other teams could make to the full MLE in the first year of the offer. If the Spurs decided they wouldn't or couldn't match an offer sheet that started at the full MLE (~8.5 million) and contained a poison pill in years 3 and 4 then by renouncing Simmons rights they allow teams to offer Simmons more money on the front end of a contract.

I don't follow this stuff closely, but the chatter about Melo going to Houston gives me a funny feeling about LBJ following next year.

Why do i get the feeling complacent deac is the person running the spurs offseason?

Haha.

Spurs-Pelicans on now. Forbes already has 10 with over a minute left in the 1st.

I don't follow this stuff closely, but the chatter about Melo going to Houston gives me a funny feeling about LBJ following next year.

My hope is that Melo and Chris can squeeze out their elusive title in the next 2-3 years while Lebron goes to the Lakers, then when they are all at least 37 Lebron, Chris, Melo, and Wade can all go to the Clippers and just form an all-olds team in time to open up the new arena.

Or they should just get together and buy a team.

Who wouldn't pay to go watch a Chris, Wade, Melo, Lebron, Dwight starting 5 chasing stats records and the 8 seed?

a2gvk.jpg

If the Spurs dump LMA and Green at the end of this year, they could add CP3 and Lebron next summer to play with Kawhi. Hell, they could ask Dwade to join them for a farewell tour.

i'll go on record and say cp3 and lebron will never play for sas. i'll also add that none of the banana boys will either.

man this has been a disappointing off season.

I just want CP3 and Lebron to play together somewhere. Doesn't have to be the Spurs. Fans deserve to see that.

How many teams will be able to afford $55-60M???

I don't think they will play in San Antonio, but it is one of the very few places that can do it and have a young star to play with them.

How many teams will be able to afford $55-60M???

I don't think they will play in San Antonio, but it is one of the very few places that can do it and have a young star to play with them.

I don't think they will do it until the tail end of their careers and will take significantly less money than they are making now to do so

Kawhi is 26. It's feasible that olds would join a 30-31 year old Kawhi to chase rings.

Bryn Forbes leading a comeback. 26 pts. Up 1 with 16 sec left.

Kawhi is 26. It's feasible that olds would join a 30-31 year old Kawhi to chase rings.

Bryn Forbes leading a comeback. 26 pts. Up 1 with 16 sec left.

It's feasible, I'm just not sure either side would be interested. Have to think the Spurs will have a solid young core around Kawhi by then and that the olds are going to want to be close to the beach (i.e. L.A. or Miami).

I don't think they will do it until the tail end of their careers and will take significantly less money than they are making now to do so

Why wait when you play with Kawhi?

In the 80s, 90s and maybe even in the early 00s, where you played mattered for promotional income. It matters very little now and not at all if you are on the level of CP3 and Lebron.

I don't think they will do it, but this would be by far their best chance to win championships.

Back