• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

It will require very savy drafting with all of their upcoming picks in the next few years. And it could be that someone like Wemby helps elevate the game of those around him. Manu was special. But I think TP isn’t hall of fame level without Duncan.
Manu gets in the HOF off of international achievement mostly, and I don't mean to diminish his NBA career at all. Your point about TP is kind of the point with transformational players. They all have coattails.

Tim Duncan is 47 and, assuming he's in shape, would likely embarrass Wemby in practice.

Parker was Finals MVP when Duncan was still in his prime. Duncan averaged 22.2 pts, 11.5 reb, 3.3 ast, 3.1 blk in the 2007 playoffs. Parker doesn’t get his due.

The Spurs will need to draft well but they can also turn some of those picks into vets who can win now. This team doesn’t have David Robison, Avery Johnson, or Sean Elliott who helped Duncan win a title in his second year.

Ok. They should see what they have this year and then make the moves necessary to get the players they need for Wemby’s second year. The only FA I’d like to see them go for is VanVleet. Resign Tre Jones and make a play for VanVleet. That could elevate the roster.

They need an upgrade at the wing spots but it makes sense to see if Vassell, Johnson, and Branham are capable of that level of production with Wemby.

Can Spurs sign ANYONE decent?
Is there anyone decent to sign this offseason?

There are some nice pieces, but the Spurs may already have those pieces. And a lot of these guys will get overpaid.

Agreed. Do not overpay.

Consider using a pick or two and a young asset to move their second round up if you can get a guy they love at a pos of needp- pg? But I'm not sure it's likely.

Keep the atl picks in case they continue to implode.

Most likely is play it out with some vets on short term contracts to retain cap flexibility for free agency next year. Bonus of getting a year to see the young core working with Wemby. Any don't fit ryou know who you can move in a s/t next summer.

Is there anyone decent to sign this offseason?

There are some nice pieces, but the Spurs may already have those pieces. And a lot of these guys will get overpaid.
Yeah I like a few guys but overpaying is key. For instance I love VanVleet.

Yeah I like a few guys but overpaying is key. For instance I love VanVleet.
I disagree, I think the Spurs are in the unique position of being able to overpay. If Wemby truly is a cornerstone, then you treat him as the elusive NFL superstar QB on a rookie deal. If you have to overpay to get some strong talent around him, then so be it so long as those contracts are off the books by the time Wemby comes due for his supermax (6th year). What the hell else are you doing with the cap space for those 5 years? That doesn't mean bad long-term contracts, but if giving a guy $5 mil/year more then he'd get elsewhere gets him to sign, then you do that given the available cap flexibility around Wemby's rookie deal. If you get him winning early, then he is more likely to stay longterm like Duncan. If the team is cheap and losing, then much more likely he bounces or demands a trade like so many other top end players do now.

I disagree, I think the Spurs are in the unique position of being able to overpay. If Wemby truly is a cornerstone, then you treat him as the elusive NFL superstar QB on a rookie deal. If you have to overpay to get some strong talent around him, then so be it so long as those contracts are off the books by the time Wemby comes due for his supermax (6th year). What the hell else are you doing with the cap space for those 5 years? That doesn't mean bad long-term contracts, but if giving a guy $5 mil/year more then he'd get elsewhere gets him to sign, then you do that given the available cap flexibility around Wemby's rookie deal. If you get him winning early, then he is more likely to stay longterm like Duncan. If the team is cheap and losing, then much more likely he bounces or demands a trade like so many other top end players do now.
So you like VanVleet on the pick and roll with Wemby? I do too.

Don't disagree about overpaying some for the right player. I don't think fvv is that kind of player.

The problem isn’t overpaying. The problem there aren’t any free agents I’d overpay except VanVleet. Sign me up for a reasonable trade to overpay CP for two years.

The problem isn’t overpaying. The problem there aren’t any free agents I’d overpay except VanVleet. Sign me up for a reasonable trade to overpay CP for two years.
Rozier is on a reasonable contract (60th overall; about 30th for NBA guards) and if we draft Scoot I'm sure he can be had for one of those first round picks to absorb into your cap space.

The Spurs already have one former Hornets scoring PG and they got him for super cheap.

After thinking about it for almost 2 days, I think the Spurs should be patient and stand pat with the roster for Wemby's rookie year with a plan to make big moves for his second year.

Every player and asset the Spurs have could be more valuable at the trade deadline and next offseason. Keldon and Vassell can show what they can do on a bigger stage. We'll know if the 2024 Hornets top 14 protected and 2024 Raptors top 6 protected picks is likely to convey. Right now, that Hornets pick is a crap shoot and if the Hornets Hornet, it will just turn into 2nds down to the road. The Raptors are a big question mark. If the Hornets look like a playoff team and the Raptors suck but aren't full tank, those picks could be used to get a really good player. They'll also know if the Hawks look like they'll rebound although I'd hold on to those picks even if the Hawks figure it out.

Wemby is going to make everyone around him better so see if the fringe rotation guys they have can develop into legit rotation guys before making any moves. They definitely shouldn't be scouring for role players.

McDermott and Birch have one more year on their deals. Graham has two more.

I feel confident they will dump McDermott and Birch for whatever they can get. I think they'll keep Graham unless they get another PG.

I wanted Jerami Grant a few years ago but I'm not he's an improvement over Keldon who is 5-6 years younger and already under a good contract.

This is the Spurs we are talking about. They are still the class of the NBA in terms of scouting and player development right? They luck into another all time great prospect. They have a ton of future picks. You have to think at least one, more likely 2, of Vassel, Sochan, Branham and Wesley, develop into DUDES. It’s never been their MO to overpay in free agency. Just continue doing what you are great at. I don’t see how CP3 helps either.

Back