• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stanford is STEALING our offense

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
anyone seen elrod?

we should have better / wake-related branding for the slow mesh regardless.

Well that should help Clawson's pitch to offensive players Stanford is recruiting.

Come to Wake for the real deal. Accept no imitations.

#slowmeshexpress? horrible

I am not a huge fan of the slow mesh, but I guess imitation is a flattery. The slow mesh does put pressure in the LB's and safeties, but it basically turns every running play into a draw play. The OLine has to hold blocks longer, (and they are really pass blocking instead of run blocking), and the RB is not getting a running start at the LOS. I think a mixture of slow mesh and regular hand-offs would be the most effective as the LB's and safeties would always be on their heels reading the play and slow to respond to a quick hitting regular hand-off.

Running slow mesh from the 2 yard line is dumb. About as dumb as our Wildcat.

I am not a huge fan of the slow mesh, but I guess imitation is a flattery. The slow mesh does put pressure in the LB's and safeties, but it basically turns every running play into a draw play. The OLine has to hold blocks longer, (and they are really pass blocking instead of run blocking), and the RB is not getting a running start at the LOS. I think a mixture of slow mesh and regular hand-offs would be the most effective as the LB's and safeties would always be on their heels reading the play and slow to respond to a quick hitting regular hand-off.
The main thrust of the slow mesh is to keep the defense guessing on the run/pass option. However, another part is multiple options on pass routes. For example, a 7 yard out route has an option of being turned into an out and go route depending on reads by the QB and receiver. The reads are what makes the "Clawfense" so difficult to defend. Also, Sam and AT really read alike.

Running slow mesh from the 2 yard line is dumb. About as dumb as our Wildcat.

We run the kittycat at this point. I hope we're tanking the current kittycat for future wrinkles against Clemson and Moo-U. I'd love to see more imagination inside the red zone.

I don’t necessarily disagree in principal but I also feel like the slow mesh became more of a thing for us because our offensive line has been a much better pass blocking or zone blocking line than straight up firing off and run blocking for some time now. I actually think the slow mesh definitely plays tk the strengths of our linemen. (Except against the Clemsons of the world .)

I am a huge fan of the slow mesh. Since the start of last year, only 3 teams have scored at least 40 points in a game 10 or more times: Alabama, Ohio State, and Wake Forest.

Heck of a stat right there.

Back