• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stanford is STEALING our offense

Record when scoring 40 or more points since the beginning of the 2021 season:

Alabama 10-0
Ohio State 10-0
Wake Forest 9-1

I am a huge fan of the slow mesh. Since the start of last year, only 3 teams have scored at least 40 points in a game 10 or more times: Alabama, Ohio State, and Wake Forest.
This, absolutely. I swear people will watch us put up 50, then one slow mesh play gets blown up and it's like "see, I told you the slow mesh doesn't work." Plus, saying we should ditch it because it "won't/didn't work against Clemson" is particularly ironic since one of the original reasons behind the scheme was to even the playing field against teams with better overall athleticism than Wake. It keeps defenders honest by eliminating a ton of predictability and results in more one-on-one matchups. We might lose those matchups because Clemson is good or we don't execute, we get too conservative either via play-calling or QB decisions - but it doesn't nullify the whole scheme. I'd maybe get the argument if we had a young QB or one that struggled making reads (ie. Newman, who we did tweak the offense for plenty), but with Hartman we're playing to his strengths.

We definitely need a unique name for our slow mesh. It should be something very sexual sounding, too.

I am not a huge fan of the slow mesh, but I guess imitation is a flattery. The slow mesh does put pressure in the LB's and safeties, but it basically turns every running play into a draw play. The OLine has to hold blocks longer, (and they are really pass blocking instead of run blocking), and the RB is not getting a running start at the LOS. I think a mixture of slow mesh and regular hand-offs would be the most effective as the LB's and safeties would always be on their heels reading the play and slow to respond to a quick hitting regular hand-off.
So now there are 2 teams running it.

At least their line was blocking well. Should’ve definitely ran it there

We definitely need a unique name for our slow mesh. It should be something very sexual sounding, too.
I tried to do a slow mesh last night but my wife was too tired.

I tried to do a slow mesh last night but I couldn't snap from under center

I tried to do a slow mesh last night but I couldn't hold the mesh point long enough.

Under Clawson, Wake has scored 40+ in a game 26 times and only one of those was in his first 3 seasons. So in the past 5 seasons we have scored 40 or more in 25 games.

Say what you want about the slow mesh, but it works for getting points on the board.

Petition to nickname Sam Hartman "The Mesh-iah." Bonus points if anyone can photoshop Sam's face onto Jesus for me.

If you're going to do that, I really hope we don't play USC in the national championship game.

One other aspect of the slow mesh that Wake hasn't shown much of previously is that it can be used to grind up the clock. The Wake 7+ minute drive late in the Vandy game showed how that can be done. Runs. Short, safe passes. Keep the clock moving. Snap the ball with single digits on the play clock.

The other extreme was the one play, 68 yard TD ("drive") that took one pass to AT and about 7 seconds.

Fast puts lots of points up quickly. Slow and the defense gets lots of time to rest.

I want to recruit the 5 best o-linemen in the country, then with the lead in the 4th quarter you only have to snap the ball once. Just one long 15 minute mesh point to seal the game. Suck on that Dean Smith.

I want to recruit the 5 best o-linemen in the country, then with the lead in the 4th quarter you only have to snap the ball once. Just one long 15 minute mesh point to seal the game. Suck on that Dean Smith.

With Cooley as the finisher.

With Cooley as the finisher.
Nope. No time left on the clock. QB pulls the ball from the running back, turns sideways and punts the ball into the student section. Game over.

[two techmo bowl references in a week, all-time record for me]

well sure, Bo Jackson could do that. Unrealistic to expect anyone else to do same.

Back