• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Star Wars the Old Republic

dagreekdeac

Reaction score
I'm on the beta for this game and have been playing for a month or so. Kind of bored at work and curious if anyone has any general questions about it.

What's your highest lvl char so far? I haven't downloaded the latest version yet, is it any smoother?

I'm on the beta for this game and have been playing for a month or so. Kind of bored at work and curious if anyone has any general questions about it.

Sure I have a very general question... what do you think about it?

I never played the prior Star Wars MMO (Galaxies?) but word is it SUCKED. There sure is a lot of buzz about this though.

Sure I have a very general question... what do you think about it?

I never played the prior Star Wars MMO (Galaxies?) but word is it SUCKED. There sure is a lot of buzz about this though.

YOU SUCK.

I pwned Star Wars Galaxies.

It helped that I discovered a bug that let me dupe my credits in the second week of the game. I was easily the richest person on my server... making it RAIN.

Q: What's your highest lvl char so far? I haven't downloaded the latest version yet, is it any smoother?

A: Lvl 25. Currently downloading latest version as we speak, though for me the previous version was very smooth tbh. I have 4 chars at the moment.

Q: what do you think about it?

A: I totally love it. If you are somehow who enjoyed the story components of KOTOR heavily and wanted to play through them with a group of friends, you will absolutely love this game.

Galaxies was terrible and it's nothing like that. I have already pre-ordered the collector's edition.

Q: is it different from KOTOR?

oh, it's an MMO? zzzzzzzz

A: It is as close to KOTOR as you could possibly be however the battle mechanics are more akin to WoW with some changes but it's clear that was their foundation. The story, game feel, look, star wars world are all extremely KOTOR.

Perhaps some of the most fun from a story perspective are flashpoints (dungeons) that in WoW were more like just a dungeon crawl with some bosses; in SWTOR they are very much an actual storyline. Rolling in the group to see who gets to decide what they say and that then directing the story of the quest is extremely cool. The fact that every character is voice acted is also awesome.

I definitely would have preferred Kotor 3 over an MMO. We are slaves to cash cows and the desires of the Bourgeoisie.

You got your wish and more in my opinion. It is entirely possible to play through the whole story for a character independent of other people in which case it is exactly like KOTOR but you have 8 different storylines to play. With a companion you can solo quite a bit, if that's your want.

You got your wish and more in my opinion. It is entirely possible to play through the whole story for a character independent of other people in which case it is exactly like KOTOR but you have 8 different storylines to play. With a companion you can solo quite a bit, if that's your want.

This. The game feels a lot like a KOTOR game would, and I really liked how it progressed story lines and felt like a single player game in a lot of ways.

Ok, I got turned off from KOTOR within 5 mins of playing it because combat was me sitting there staring at the screen while laser fire missed back and forth.
You say the combat is more WoW like, but how diverse and engaging is it?

Can I really not play a wookiee? I have to be a Han Solo and settle for one as a sidekick?

Ok, I got turned off from KOTOR within 5 mins of playing it because combat was me sitting there staring at the screen while laser fire missed back and forth.
You say the combat is more WoW like, but how diverse and engaging is it?

Can I really not play a wookiee? I have to be a Han Solo and settle for one as a sidekick?

Combat is pretty diverse and engaging, but that is highly contingent upon your class choice of course as well as your style of play. Suffice it to say there is as much versatility as there is in WoW essentially with the added component of controlling your sidekick in battle.

At the moment, you cannot play a Wookie and he would be a sidekick I'm afraid. There are some notable withholds on races and I can only assume the intention is to release them in later expansions.

How "hard" is it, and how is the end game / raid content? What I've seen in those areas worries me a lot in terms of long term playability.

How "hard" is it, and how is the end game / raid content? What I've seen in those areas worries me a lot in terms of long term playability.

I can't really answer this, generally it's medium hard when you do heroic things/quests. Instances (flashpoints) can be pretty hard. But from what I understand, this is one of the primary intentions of the beta at the moment: to tweak difficulty. Every time I complete a quest they are asking me how hard it was and how many players I completed it with. I imagine this will continue to be refined until release.

How many different classes are there and what do they do? Is it a traditional tanker-healer-dps trinity type MMO (I hope not) or something more diverse?

How many different classes are there and what do they do? Is it a traditional tanker-healer-dps trinity type MMO (I hope not) or something more diverse?

4 classes for each faction, 2 "Advanced" classes for each class. Obviously it is impossible to deviate completely from that model somewhat, but I think a heavier focus on ranged weapons vs Melee weapons, the use of cover, and a few other differences spice it up.

I will say though that if you have played MMOs, it is certainly not so different that you will be like "How do I fight in a group?" I hope that answer makes sense.

Generally, a good healer can make or break a group when it comes to success, especially if something doesn't go to plan. You're pretty powerless in those ohfuck situations if you're dps or tanking imo.

Back